I've been battling a pinched nerve that was never really a problem once I went Primal and lost most of my excess fat. Back pain and neck pain were a thing of the past....I thought.

Unfortunately, after 2.5 weeks of doing the Starting Strength program (basically: barbell squats, deadlifts, chest presses, shoulder presses, and power cleans), I'm finding that the back squats are wreaking havoc on my neck. Problem is my lack of flexibility in both shoulders and hips/ankles for depth. While my squat depth isn't great it is almost to parallel so I can deal with that, but the shoulder inflexibility is killing me and not getting better.

Incidentally, the pain usually comes the day AFTER doing the squats, not during (though that is where the shoulder/arm/hand pain due to the inflexibility is causing pain in those areas).

As blasphemous as it may seem, I'm thinking I may need to ditch the barbell squats and go with leg presses on the machine, and adding another back movement(s) to compensate (dumbbell rows? pullups?), along with high rep air squats.

THoughts? I'm not convinced this neck thing is going to go away until my flexibility increases, but my flexibility is SO bad in my shoulder that it will take minimum many months. Chicken and the egg : (