Thread: Help... page

blforsberg is offline Junior Member

Help...

Shop Now
    I'm reaching out for any help or advice. I found the Primal Blueprint during the spring of this year. I was pushing 300 pounds and miserable. As I started following the Primal Blueprint the weight started to just fall off and I felt better than I had in years. Things I had been suffering with for a long, long time just went away. I lost close to 50 pounds and was well on my way to being a Friday Sucess Story. Then I went to scout camp with my son and I didn't just fall off the wagon I threw myself off. I've gone down hill ever since and have gained back most of what I lost. I've tried multiple times to go back Primal but the carb withdrawal is so severe I fail every time. I've never experienced anyting like it, it seems like I crave sugar more now than I ever did before. Has anyone else experienced this kind of setback? How did you overcome?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Brad

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Skip the carb withdrawal for now, then! Just replace your grains with healthier, starchy carbs like sweet potatoes, squash and the like! And don't be afraid of apples and other fibrous fruit, either. Yes, low-carb is great for many - but getting rid of grains and other garbage supercedes the ketosis quest. Later, once you're used to the new foods, you can dial back the carbs if you actually need to.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you can treat that carb withdrawal with carbs...just pick primal options: sweet potatoes, squashes, fruits and veggies. those should help your body deal with the grains and sugar cravings you may be having, while you eliminate them from your diet. if you want less carbs, cut back on them slowly, and build your meals around protein, veggies and fat.
    mostly, though, coming back after a setback like that is more about commitment and will than it is anything else.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Commitment and will? I highly doubt pounding down a pound of bacon and a few eggs with some stir-fry takes much will. It's AWESOME.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the other folks. Just get back to eating primal foods and worry about the carb counts after you've got the basics back under control.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    So sorry to hear!

Repeating what is already said: go back as primal as you can. Get rid of the horrendous foods in your house that trigger your overeating and fill your fridge with healthy proteins, fruits and vegetables. Increase your fat intake to counteract the carb cravings. I found that worked for me. I just ate 1T roasted beef marrow (fresh from a roasted bone) and I am so satiated I nearly feel sick. That will surely keep me from eating the bowl of Halloween candy by the front door.

You did it once. You can do it again. I had that carb flu for 2 weeks. It was miserable. Keep yourself busy and realize it is temporary. Your body is trying to tell you something: pay attention.

Good luck! Get busy and be active.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Seriously. Eat more fat.

Age 48