Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dressing for salads page

nicholas is offline Junior Member

Question Dressing for salads

Shop Now
    Hey Gang,

I am just starting out and plan on eating alot of salads. One problem I have is that I only like two types of dressing which are ranch and italian. I have been eating an organic ranch dressing from Whole Foods. Is that bad for primal eating?

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    evoo+lemon juice+honey+mustard+salt and pepper (shake in a jar and pour over your BAS)

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Yes that organic stuff is bad (It has to be made with some sort of n-6 vegetable oil). If you can find them, there are a few dressings at whole foods that are made with olive oil. Read all the labels and try to find one. Maybe ask the grocer for help... the one I found wasn't even in the salad dressing section of the store.

BayouPrimal is offline Member
    I've been making my own ranch dressing. I buy a ranch seasoning packet and use plain full fat organic yogurt as the base instead of mayo and sour cream. For a little kick, I also add a little Chipotle Tabasco sauce.

I'm sure that the seasoning has something bad for me in it, but it's a big step up from storebought dressing.

Either that, or a homemade dijon vinegarette.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member
    bayouprimal, i do the same thing w/ranch seasoning but with sour cream then w/a little milk to thin it. Sounds good with the yogurt too!

EVOO+lemon juice + garlic salt is my favorite dressing though
    my husband likes me to make him one that's EVOO + balsamic vinegar + dijon mustard + herbs
    Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Minky is offline Member
    I make ranch out of kefir milk. I add some evoo and dry seasonings and herbs (better yet, fresh herbs when I have them) and shake it up. I always have a mason jar of it in the fridge and my kids eat it up. We use it for salad dressing, meat dips, veggie dip. Ranch is good on everything! And it's helped get my kids off the high sugar dips like bbq and ketchup. Sometimes, when I want it thicker, I use cream instead of whole milk in my kefir, or I add some sour cream to the ranch too.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Well, I was going to say that Bragg's makes a nice dressing that isn't too far out of line; I knew it had a little honey in it, but didn't realize the Liquid Aminos were soy based until I just looked it up... (ingredients are Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Bragg Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Bragg Liquid Aminos, organic honey, organic lemon juice, organic garlic, organic ginger, organic sesame seeds, natural xanthan gum...).

Yep, homemade seems to be best bet!

RavunJM is offline Junior Member
    An really simple dressing is:
    1/2 cup Evoo
    1/2 cup Balsamic (i like a lot of balsamic!)
    1/4 cup fresh salsa!

The salsa gives it a wonderful taste! Let me know what you think!

Agatsu is offline Member
    I make variations of "Green Goddess" dressings using mashed ripe avocado for the base. Since I like creamy dressings the best this seems to satisfy. Just look a recipe up on cooks.com or elswhere.

MmmFat is offline Senior Member
    Three cheers for EVOO and lemon juice! I keep bottles of EVOO, Mrs. Dash, and some garlic powder in my desk, so all I have to do is bring in a lemon to squeeze and mix up a quick, yummy dressing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast