Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Goose - Whole 30 November page 9

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    @Lu - some honest thoughts about the workout you posted. First off the diet suggestions look atrocious, and the amount of supplements just look freaking crazy! I'm sure it would cost a fortune too, and I don't want to think about all the chemicals and whatnot in there.
    The routine - I'm a firm believer in big compound movements and all those bicep curls and variations thereof just look like a huge waste of time. The rep count is also really really high. I also see it suggests 60 mins of cardio 5 days a week which would suck up a lot of time, and it isn't primally recommended. I really don't think, when lifting heavy, you need hardly any cardio at all (besides sprints).

Conclusion - I'm sure you could lose BF and gain some strength here, but would it be worth it and would you be able to maintain this after the 12 weeks or however long it is? Its very regimented, you would be stuck in the gym an awful lot and I imagine those workout would be boring really quickly, as would eating supplements and chicken breast every 4 hours. They dont suggest fatty meat because they are CW based.

I'd suggest to be a little more patient (we all need to be!) and try to look at the big picture. I'm currently doing NROLFW and I'm not ripped (yet!) but my strength gains have been enormous. I hope this helps a little!

EDIT: I see now you aren't planning on getting the supps.
    Last edited by Goosejuggler; 11-13-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    Thanks! It was pretty tough..I am not used to spint type of workouts. I usually have one speed that I keep with hiking, biking or jogging. It felt good to mix it up a bit. I may head back downstairs and do some upper body or ride my spin bike later. Do you ride with clips? I have for close to 20 years. It can be a little unnerving on single track if you know what I mean :-0

3 miles in 40 min is great!! You must have been cruzing. I don't know how you do it with being stuck at a desk for 12 hours. Luckily my job entails me being on my feet most of the time and moving around. I almost die anytime there is an inservice and I have to sit still for the 2plus hours. What are you going to school for??

The lack of sleep is getting to me. I am going to see if my MD can change thyroid medication...Hope that works. We will see.

Hope you find time to get in more workouts with your crazy busy schedule. Once again Thanks!
    I've done a lot of cycling, running, swimming -- all ultra racing type stuff. I've had the benefit of very good coaching, so I consider myself very lucky. It is very very beneficial to your body, training and metabolism to 'mix up' the intensity of your workouts. If you run at one pace only --- do some sprints, intervals and keep surprising the body: Same goes for cycling, hiking etc.

I work full time, and am completing a full time MBA programme --- so am burning the candle at both ends.

When I 'race walk' -- without any training, I can complete 9km in 59 minutes.....I generally walk 7 - 10 miles in 1:15 minutes --- I'm "moav'n moav'n" :-)

I'm closing the books for tonight and back at it again tomorrow. I'm stressed out of my mind this week with two major assignments due in two course. Oh well -- 'and this too shall pass'...../Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    @Lu - some honest thoughts about the workout you posted. First off the diet suggestions look atrocious, and the amount of supplements just look freaking crazy! I'm sure it would cost a fortune too, and I don't want to think about all the chemicals and whatnot in there.
    The routine - I'm a firm believer in big compound movements and all those bicep curls and variations thereof just look like a huge waste of time. The rep count is also really really high. I also see it suggests 60 mins of cardio 5 days a week which would suck up a lot of time, and it isn't primally recommended. I really don't think, when lifting heavy, you need hardly any cardio at all (besides sprints).

Conclusion - I'm sure you could lose BF and gain some strength here, but would it be worth it and would you be able to maintain this after the 12 weeks or however long it is? Its very regimented, you would be stuck in the gym an awful lot and I imagine those workout would be boring really quickly, as would eating supplements and chicken breast every 4 hours. They dont suggest fatty meat because they are CW based.

I'd suggest to be a little more patient (we all need to be!) and try to look at the big picture. I'm currently doing NROLFW and I'm not ripped (yet!) but my strength gains have been enormous. I hope this helps a little!

EDIT: I see now you aren't planning on getting the supps.
    Good catch on the 'no supps' - I was just looking at the structured workout. I agree with you, that it's too much cardio and too high reps with the weights.

The thing is, I have a home gym as I don't have the time or the inclination to go a 'mainstream gym'. I have to purchase a pull up bar and a few more free weights. The compound movements, I have to be careful with because of my herniated disc. I do most of my workouts as body weight, and use the yoga ball extensively. I'm just impatient for amazing results, I guess. I'm not patient by nature. Once I'm focused on a goal -- I just want to get there as quickly as possible. Appreciate your input and will continue doing my body weights. I am doing more cardio than is recommended as I will start racing 5km and 10km running races starting New Year's Day. The distances are waaaaaay shorter than what I'm used to racing, so it'll be fun and I don't think my body will be stressed by the training. Just wish this belly fat would take a hike, though. /Lu
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

solobiker is offline Member
    Good luck with all the work you have to do Lu!! You can do it.

I have always been a long distance person with a lot of mountaineering and long multi pitch rock climbing under my belt. I have done some sprint tris in the past which were fun. I really enjoyed the long days of hiking with the climbs which ended up being close to 18 hour days with a fully loaded pack. I think that is why I am used to running at "one" speed. It was not a slow speed by any means but I also was not sprinting :-) The motto in the climbing world is "speed is safety" which is very true when dealilng with t-storms, rock fall, snow bridges, etc.

Wow!! You are one fast walker. I thought I was fast. It hurts my back and hips to imagine trying to walk that fast. That is awesome.

Good luck with getting your projects done. See you later on the forum.

Day 14

Woot woot, 4 day week!

Foods:
    Coffee w/ coconut milk
    Carrot, 2x hardboiled eggs and chorizo
    Handful seeds/nut mix
    Lunch - BbQ beef with bagged salad (sigh!) and Velvety Butternut Squash, made with sunflower seeds (didn't have pecans)
    Dinner - Paleo Double down with my homemade bacon, guac and sweet potato fries. I'm always excited about double down night

Great sleeps again. I used to feel that going to bed early was cheating myself out of all the super duper fun things I could be doing late at night. It's only been very recently that I've discovered this is not true. Now I see sleep as a necessary indulgence and getting enough means I recover from my workouts better, I lose BF faster and my temperament is much much improved. I'm still not bouncing out of bed in the morning, but I don't dread it, and I have enough energy to cycle in to work.

Back to the gym again tonight, its deadlift day. I love deadlift day. My PR is currently BW +3kg. Maybe I'll see if I can smash it today I want to get to 60kg so I can put the big girl plates on the bar :P

Day 14:

Short day at work, and home to continue working on school work -- but not before stopping by the store to pick up my new Chin Up Bar! (Woot Woot!).

Hoping to have time today for my nightly walk, as well as a core/strength body workout (and maybe install this bar).

Back to the books!

Food for the day:
    Breakfast: Bullet coffee. I had intentions of breakfast, but no time before work.
    Lunch: 1 cup of Caesar Salad (no croutons)
    Snack: 2 pieces of organic salami, rolled in crusted peppers and spices (yummer); 1/2 avocado; kale chips; 1 small piece of French brie cheese (I'm on a roll today with foods since I'm upping my calories).
    Dinner: -- wait for it! --- Ribeye steak, kale chips, roasted carrots, sweet potato, asparagus and beautiful beets, sprinkled with olive oil and sea salt. My hubby is bbq'in the steaks that are infused with garlic. To top if off, a touch of spicy avocado on the steaks. .....and a small glass of red wine. I'm in a great mood because I now have my chin up bar! woot woot!

All of this great food equates to:
    calories: 1098
    Fat 58%
    Protein 17%
    Carbs: 24%

Knocking it out of the park today!

Hope everyone is having a great day!
    /Lu
    Last edited by Louisa655; 11-14-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    F, 48, 5'10"

fooddreamer is offline Junior Member
    HAPPY HALFWAY DAY!!! How's everyone doing?? Looks like you all are making good progress with nutrition and exercise - keep it up! I'm doing alright, but late-night snacking has been a problem. Also craving cheese haha Never had that craving before... lol

Pensive Paleo

All is going well here. I did an Insanity Plyo/interval workout after work today. Pretty tough with lots of squats and jumping. Oh, and since I woke up pretty early...4am I decided to hop on my spin bike for a quick 15 min ride then did about 15 min of core work. I will most likely do some more after dinner. I have added some extra carbs to my diet in the form of sweet potato and I seem to be feeling better. I will give it some more time.

B: Ground natural sausage with chopped up veggies and 1/4 apple

L: 1 cup of chili, 1/4 apple

S: handful of almonds

D: Most likely some fish with a BAS.

Lu, your dinner sounds great!!

Day 15

Wow Lu, that sounds like a super tasty dinner! Totally up my street. I might get some salami this weekend, recently we've been all over the chorizo and I could do with a change.

Today's grub

Coffee & coconut milk
    Hardboiled egg & protein shake
    Lunch - BBQ beef and squash (no other leftovers so a bit meager today!)
    Dinner - Undecided - we got some chicken hearts from the butcher yesterday so I think we'l probably skewer them and BBQ with some roast/saute veggies. Anyone have experience with chicken hearts?

Exercise - wooo, last night I ripped up my DL PR, and got to 60kg (BW is 50kg). Pretty happy with myself, despite all the bruising on my shins! I totally didn't do my sprints last night though because I wanted to get home to my Double down :P

Also happy because I'm ridden my bike in to work everyday this week, it's easier once it becomes a habit. And the weather is absolutely beautiful atm so I have no excuse.

Anyone got any plans for the weekend? We have a festival going on down the street near us and am going to ride down there with my hipster bikey friends and stand around looking cool. I'll pop some piccies up on my flickr.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We hope to head up to the mountains this weekend. I am sitting here debating about going back down to the basement for a little more exercise. Hmmmmm what should I do...weights vs bike. Maybe more weights since I rode it a bit this morning and I did a HIIT after work.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast