Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Day 5: Whole 30 November
    Ketosis mode

Average daily Intake:
    1000 - 1200 calories per day
    70% fats; 20% protein; 10% carbs
    My carbs are generally <20 grams

Breakfast is always coffee x 2 + 2 grams cream (35%)
    Lunch: 2 eggs + 3 strips bacon
    Dinner: 4 ozs meat + 3 veggies + 1 glass red wine (not always, but often).

I've been in ketosis for approx 3 months and love the feeling of an abundance of energy/feel good feelings and being in optimal fat burning protocol.
    My main goal for Nov is to work out daily or at least 5 x per week (convict conditioning and sprinting). My supplements include:
    2 x bone broth daily
    magnesium
    daily multivitamin
    Krill Oil
    MCT Oil
    Vitamin D

As a result, no cramps, no cravings and life is generally really good. Thankfully I never get tired of eggs so lunch is a breeze and I workout in a fasted state each morning. Looking forward to tightening up the body in the soft spots (tummy, legs), basically. Having fun and enjoying the process and all the great individuals on the PB Forum.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    I've no real idea of my macros or calorie count - I could track them, but honestly I can't be bothered. I used to calorie count before I went primal and I don't want to go back there.

Another aspect of the Whole 30 was to tone down my carb consumption, I'd been really hitting up the sweet potatoes for quick and easy meals. Now I keep them to lifting days, and I don't know - I think I feel like I have more energy. I'll see how I feel in another week or so. Whats the g of carbs you have to stay under to be in ketosis?

I don't take any supplements either, it's something I don't really want to worry about for now - I'll dial that in in the future.

Man I'm so so sore, after Friday and Sunday lifting and last night's body balance - I started a new stage in NROLFW. So happy I have a rest day today, but I'm always excited to get back in the weight room.

Last night's dinner ended up being these Curry chicken sliders with salad, they turned out really tasty and don't take two minutes to put together. Recommended!
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    . Whats the g of carbs you have to stay under to be in ketosis?

I don't take any supplements either, it's something I don't really want to worry about for now - I'll dial that in in the future.
    The 'general rule of thumb' is <50grams carbs for ketosis: However, this varies between individuals. The other factor to juggle is protein. Too much protein will bump someone out of ketosis. So, the trick is to find the right balance.

I just started taking supplements about 10 days ago and felt the difference almost immediately. MCT Oil is great for improving energy levels. The body uses it immediately as energy and it doesn't get stored as fat. I enjoy being in ketosis because I feel very good in this state. I find that my body has become so proficient at fat burning that even if I go crazy for a day and overeat, I can easily get back into ketosis within 12- 24 hours later. Anyway, n=1 and I'm not advocating that ketosis is great for everyone -- it works well for me and that's all I really know. My upper body is sore today --- tried to do some push ups but nearly broke my nose as my arms collapsed and I hit the floor. Thank God no one saw me do that Guess I need one more recovery day! ha!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Heehee! Yeah I have those moments at the gym where I'm all like 'shit, I hope no one saw me do that'. I'm sure they did and I'm sure they're snickering to themselves!!

Day 6

Food food food:
    Coffee with coconut milk
    Pumkpin pie custard
    Harboiled egg x 2
    Carrot and yellow capsicum
    Lunch - Leftover pulled pork and salas (waaaah! That was the last of the pork!)
    Dinner - Some Brazilian BBQ beef (salted for 24 hrs then cooked over a low heat on bbq) with maybe some swede/cauli mash, avocados.

Better sleep last night, thank goodness - about 7 hours. I try not to drink in the hours before bed as I always seem to have to wake up to use the toilet. I've never thought much of it until recently but I think it has a big impact on my rest and energy levels. I'm trying to not drink, but sometimes I forget and often we won't eat dinner until 8-9pm or so.

Found this recipe for pad thai today, looks like a winner. We don't get spaghetti squash in Oz, so I'll probably make it with zucchini noodles.

How is the rest of everyone's week going? I'm doing well using my standing desk for maybe 80% of my working day, and heading outside for at least 20 minutes to catch some Vit D.

Oh, I am glad there is a thread for this. I started 11/1. Figured it was a good month to do it, 30 days in the month, just came back from vacation which forced a deload week, which in turn, freaked me out. It was the first time in 6 years(!) that I went more than 1 day without working out.
    Going all the way with this, no sugar, no dairy, no sugar substitute, no grains, no starches, no booze, no franken-foods (as much as possible...I mean, really? Even mayonnaise could be considered processed...I work for a living!)
    I am very interested in your Sunday night, Goose. I maybe slept 2 hours. I don't know if it has anything to do with the Whole30, but thought it was odd because I normally konk out immediately. I'm low carb normally 6 days a week and cheat on Saturday. So, this isn't a major change for me (except for the dairy and sugar substitute part). The sleep thing surprised me. Last night I slept 10 hours and feel a lot better today.
    I'm hoping that we can keep each other going and if anyone fails, we encourage getting back on track and NOT saying that it's okay. 'cause it's not. It isn't called the semi-30, or the kinda-30. If I want coddled, I'll hang out with my dogs. Thanks for starting this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJewishAmericanPrincess View Post
    It isn't called the semi-30, or the kinda-30. If I want coddled, I'll hang out with my dogs.
    Hah! I love it! I have a few things to keep me motivated
    1. My wonderful BF who is doing this with me, if one of us fails the other is there to back them up
    2. Little calendar with the days crossed off at my desk and on my fridge
    3. My unhealthy coworkers. Even the ones who eat CW 'healthy' are overweight and do no exercise. Maybe they use their standing desks for five minutes every day
    4. My holiday at the end of the month. I went on holiday the same time last year, and the pictures are just embarassing. I wasn't massively overweight, but my BF% was very high. I will post a before and after at the end of the month, promise!!
    5. This quote, on my calendar, taken from the Whole 30 website

It is not hard. Don’t you dare tell us this is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You won’t get any coddling, and you won’t get any sympathy for your “struggles”. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE not to complete the program as written. It’s only thirty days, and it’s for the most important health cause on earth – the only physical body you will ever have in this lifetime

solobiker is online now Member
    I would love to join in with you guys!! I tend to be fairly active and eat pretty clean..I just need to focus on cutting out the carbs more. I did not sleep well last night so my day started at 3am. Ugh

I rode my spin bike 45 min starting a little after 3am, stretched then headed off to work.

Breakfast at 830: Natural sausage with diced up veggies

Lunch: 1/2 chicken thigh with BAS

Long walk with about 12 30 second sprints and 1 min rest in between

Had a some chocolate milke after workout

Dinner small bowl of homemad chili.

My goal is to lean out and I hope to increase my speed.

Hope you guys don't mind me joining in with you.

Welcome solobiker! Couple of observations -

- That's a lot of cardio without many carbs - are you staying in ketosis?
    - I don't think choc milk is Whole 30 approved! Or do you have other foods that you are eliminating instead?

solobiker is online now Member
    Yeah...I pretty much figured choc milk was not approved..But I have eliminated all grains/starches, I do not have fruit daily like I used to. I used to have several pieces a day. I just figured I needed some type of carb after the cardio. And yes, I am a cario addict and always have been. I did some weight training yesterday. I do have hypothroidism and from my research I have to be cautious with not eating enough carbs. Hmmmm.

Thanks for your observations!! I will drop the milk for now and maybe cook up a sweet potato for after my workouts.
    Last edited by solobiker; 11-06-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast