Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Goose - Whole 30 November page 10

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great thread everyone, I have enjoyed reading your progress. Sounds like you are eating great food, and taking your exercise seriously. Great to hear that people's partners are coming on board with primal. Thanks for the inspiration. A.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    We hope to head up to the mountains this weekend. I am sitting here debating about going back down to the basement for a little more exercise. Hmmmmm what should I do...weights vs bike. Maybe more weights since I rode it a bit this morning and I did a HIIT after work.

You are an INSPIRATION to me!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Day 15 --- something really weird happened during the evening of my 14th day.....situation follows:

So, last night, I go to bed, and all is good until midnight. I wake up with a super big 'cramp' in my left foot. The cramp is so intense and so painful that i have to get out of bed, put my foot flat on the floor and breathe deeply to manage the pain. And thus begins the nightmare. For the next 16 hours, this 'foot cramp' occurs every 2-3 minutes, without fail. The pain is so piercing, that from midnight to 7am, I walk around the house, trying to prevent the next foot cramp from happening. In the meantime, I problem solve: Is it lack of salt? I eat two handfuls of salt -- no response. I boil two mugs of beef brovil (more salt) --- no relief from the pain. I eat a banana --- low on Potassium? No relief. I make a mug of magnesium ---- no relief.

By 7 am, my husband finds me on the couch, close to tears, and in extraordinary pain. I pop two advil (never think of taking a pain reliever), and get ready for work. The pain subsides for two hours, and then returns with a vengenance. What the hell is going on??????

I'm at work, and the pain is back. I'm wearing running shoes, thinking that my orthotics will help the situation. I have to leave work early and go home for more advil. I call and make an appointment with a podiatrist who can't see me until Friday. Frick'n hell --- I know I'm in for another bad night of excruciating pain.

I research the internet, and the closest I can come to figuring this out is plantar fasciaitis, but I'm not sure. The pain starts mid food, moves towards the front of the foot and is strong enough that my whole leg begins to tremor and shake, right up to my hip.

I'm eating Advil this afternoon, taking a large dose than I know I should --- but I can't manage the pain without. In the meantime, I've wrapped my foot tightly in a tensor type tape which has a 'cold thermal effect'.....in essence, this is an 'icing product' and keeps the foot stable. I can barely walk. It's kind of like being in labour, but it's my foot that's in pain. I have to stop what I'm doing, breath through the pain, until the convulsion stops.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? My last few exercise sessions, I've been wearing my Nike Free shoes without support. I've been doing calf raises, and I'm wondering if I've damaged the ligament in my foot due to lack of proper support.

Okay, on to a brighter topic -- food:

I've increasing my calories and carb because I'm having hair loss and it's freaking me out. It may be that I've been low carb for too long, so doing a major re-feed this week.
    Breakfast: Bullet coffee
    Lunch: bacon and 3 eggs
    snack: 1 cube of french brie cheese; 14 salted pecans; 1/2 cup greek yogourt.
    Dinner: -- wait for it --- 1 Kobe Burger (no bun), homemade pickles in garlic, tomato, onion, les potatoe au frites (home made, of course), horse radish and left over beets.

I'm in for a brutal night of sleep because this foot is giving me no relief. I have an appointment with a podiatrist tomorrow at noon. This has been unexpected and is freaking me out. /Lu
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

solobiker is offline Member
    Wow LU...sorrry for all of that pain. It sounds like it could be plantar fasciaitis to me. I have had it one time and talk about pain!! I think it could be that espec since you were doing a lot of calf raises and if you were doing any other running or plyo type of acitivity. I work in therapy ( I am an OT and have many PT friends) and with changing foot wear whether it is orthotics, braces..etc it is best to gradually increase the wearing time. Maybe just wear the shoes for a few exercises then go back to what your foot is used to and gradually increase the wearing time. Good luck at the Drs. tomorrow. I hope it feels better soon.

My sleep is still NOT happening. I was so tired last night. I went to bed by 830pm fell asleep by 9 pm and woke up 1030pm...yes...pm not am. Grrrrrr. I fell a back to sleep around midnight and woke back up around 2. I have increased my carbs so I am hoping something will change.

Went for a walk today and my do some yoga later on. Trying to take a day off from exercise is tough.

B: 2 egss with C oil, choppped veggies

S: apple and some almonds

L: BAS salad with some steak

D: not sure yet...SLEEP would be nice

Hope everyone is well and once again LU good luck with your foot. Hope it feels better soon.

Solobiker: Didn't know you were an OT. What a great influence you must be on your patients -- how lucky for them.

The pain is unbelievable ---- I'm jacked up on advil, and soaking my foot in an ice bath --- something tells me it's going to be another brutal night. Hopefully the podiatrist will have some suggestions --- can't keep a great girl down for too long, now!

Hubby was wonderful tonight -- he came home with a blank script in case I needed some Tylenol 3, but I don't like taking meds, so declined. I'll tough it out. He brought me dinner and I ate on the couch with my foot soaking.....ah well, 6 weeks today and I'll be sitting on a beach, drinking mohitos (wheat free! ahahahhaha). Taking tomorrow off work to continue working on my major assignment, and babying this foot.

Hope you get some sleep tonight, solobiker --- otherwise the Walking Zombies will have to give you a part to play in their movie --- don't know how you are coping with the lack of sleep.
    F, 48, 5'10"

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Day 16

Day off, hurrah!

Big workout brekkie - lamb and curry sausages, homemade bacon, sweet potato, scrambled eggs, sauted veggies.
    Snack - macadamias (or should I say 'crack-a-damias'
    Dinner - pan fried salmon with broccoli confit and fresh spinach, beet leaves and kale from my garden.

@Lu - man that sounds like a nightmare I hope you'll be ok with the doc today. Can't help you with any idea of what it could be though, totally not my area of expertise. I hope naughty treats aren't too tempting while you're invalided.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    Day 16

Day off, hurrah!

Big workout brekkie - lamb and curry sausages, homemade bacon, sweet potato, scrambled eggs, sauted veggies.
    Snack - macadamias (or should I say 'crack-a-damias'
    Dinner - pan fried salmon with broccoli confit and fresh spinach, beet leaves and kale from my garden.

@Lu - man that sounds like a nightmare I hope you'll be ok with the doc today. Can't help you with any idea of what it could be though, totally not my area of expertise. I hope naughty treats aren't too tempting while you're invalided.
    GooseJuggler: Enjoy your day off --- always feels decadent having a Friday off, knowing that everyone else is at work. I'm hoping the doctor can diagnosis this, and hoping I can cycle (spin) versus walking daily. I'm going to set up my bike on its trainer today in the hopes that spinning will be okay. I had a better night's sleep with less convulsing from my foot.

Even if I was tempted to nosh on foods --- we don't have any -- The worst we have is Greek Yogurt, so damage control is optimal.

Good day to complete my major essay, and then move onto the next one, due next week.

GooseJuggler: If I recall, you and your cool cycling friends are going to your community event (fair?) this weekend -- have fun. The weather here in Canada is around -3 during the day, and it's dark in the mornings, and dark when we finish work -- getting outside for some Vitamin D during lunch hour is critical to well-being.

The weekend is here -- let the play begin! /Lu

PM Update:
    Went grocery shopping early this am --- I was first one in the store -- what a feeling! I used to hate grocery shopping -- shlepping through the aisles. Now I only go to the produce, dairy and meat dept (toilet paper is usually on the end aisles). Today, my favourite Italian grocery had some really cool, neat things: Kombacha, Qwark and they have an awesome meat counter with some grass fed beef and free range chickens.

My foot was feeling so much better, (clearly it's strained, but it's feeling better), so I skipped the doctor, and finished my errands at the Pet Shop (dog and rabbit to take care of). After that, it was homeward bound and I've been studying, and making great food all afternoon. Chili is ready! Pork loin is basting as tomorrow I'm making pulled pork! The fridge is so full of greens that when you open it, it looks like a Rain Forest!

Later tonight, it's my fabulous new workout that includes my chin up bar, and some other new device that I rigged up between two chairs. Our house is starting to look like a wonderland for toddlers! Play is important, right!????

By the way, I'm fairly certain that I've lost .5" across my belly button middle ---- I've measured a few days in a row and I get the same measurement. Woot Woot!

/Lu
    Last edited by Louisa655; 11-16-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    F, 48, 5'10"

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Day 17

Wow, well talking about random bad happenings! Last night during a moment of being stupid in the kitchen I covered my right forearm in smoking hot coconut oil! Very stupid. Spent the rest of the night in some pain and this morning I have wonderful burns all over, and fortunately only one smallish blister. Be careful in the kitchen folks! Do it the PB way and avoid making stupid mistakes, I'm sure it could have been a lot lot worse.

We did have the street festival today (full of unbelievable food - if I could have anything it would have been the fried halloumi and watermelon omg), and its been stupidly hot. Avoided all the festival food somehow and tonight going for bbq.

Brekkie - pan-fried salmon, scrambled eggs, saute veg, confit broccoli
    Super naughty-not so Whole 30 - Vodka, lemon, soda (couldn't resist, its so hot and I feel so festive)
    Dinner - BBQ at friends, will make some meat/veggie skewers and probably have more vodka.

I don't feel too bad about the vodka, besides the lemon juice its sugar free and I did a very good job avoiding the festival ice cream, cupcakes, mexican, argentine, spanish, german, italian, etc etc food. And very good job of not getting a tub of ice cream last night when we dashed to the pharmacy to get some burn-aid.

@Lu - yes .5''! Every little makes a difference How is your foot today?
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    Day 17

Wow, well talking about random bad happenings! Last night during a moment of being stupid in the kitchen I covered my right forearm in smoking hot coconut oil! Very stupid. Spent the rest of the night in some pain and this morning I have wonderful burns all over, and fortunately only one smallish blister. Be careful in the kitchen folks! Do it the PB way and avoid making stupid mistakes, I'm sure it could have been a lot lot worse.

We did have the street festival today (full of unbelievable food - if I could have anything it would have been the fried halloumi and watermelon omg), and its been stupidly hot. Avoided all the festival food somehow and tonight going for bbq.

Brekkie - pan-fried salmon, scrambled eggs, saute veg, confit broccoli
    Super naughty-not so Whole 30 - Vodka, lemon, soda (couldn't resist, its so hot and I feel so festive)
    Dinner - BBQ at friends, will make some meat/veggie skewers and probably have more vodka.

I don't feel too bad about the vodka, besides the lemon juice its sugar free and I did a very good job avoiding the festival ice cream, cupcakes, mexican, argentine, spanish, german, italian, etc etc food. And very good job of not getting a tub of ice cream last night when we dashed to the pharmacy to get some burn-aid.

@Lu - yes .5''! Every little makes a difference How is your foot today?
    Goosejuggler: Ouch to the burns. You are fortunate for not being in Emerg with a blistering arm. A few times I've turned my back on coconut oil, only to return and find it smoking, just short of bursting into flames. Due diligence is required when dealing with oil, that's for sure.

Vodka and lemon juice sounds good. Do you squeeze your own lemons into the Vodka? What portions do you use? I may have to try this when I'm on holiday. Speaking of which, aren't you leaving on vacation soon?

Yes, I can confirm I'm down .5" off the belly button line. I'm up and out of the house now for a looong walk with my dog, and then a core workout and then school work. I'm jealous of the hot weather --- it's cold but sunny here.

My loving husband told me last night that he doesn't want me to use a chin up bar in the house because it will mark the walls. Hmmmmm. I knew he would feel that way. So, I have my chin up bar hidden in a closet and only use it when he's out. I mean holly -- worried for nothing. The bar does not mark doorways at all -- I've already tried it to make sure. A little support, hubster!

That's all for now -- must get this sorry (but skinny) A** out of bed and into gear!

Have a great day! /Lu
    Last edited by Louisa655; 11-18-2012 at 03:56 AM.
    F, 48, 5'10"

Day 17 - Saturday
    Breakfast: 2 eggs and bacon.
    Day started off with a great workout: An outdoor, 4-mile walk (consisting of four loops). At each loop, I stopped by the public school playground and did 20 assisted pull ups (4 laps x 20 = 80 assisted pull ups). Woot woot. I can begin to see the muscles starting to build in my back, shoulders and chest. It's my intention to post photos at the end of the November Whole 30.

Following that, I took hubster out for lunch --- I had an amazing Hot hot hot chicken currie with a bit of white rice. I haven't had rice in about 6 months, so figured it was okay, and it fits into my carb re-feed.

The sun is shining, and we are having a movie night later tonight -- but first an essay to write!

Hope you are all having a great, great day! ps. I plan on another workout tonight, on my yoga ball --- core workout. I love my workouts -- I feel lean, strong and beautiful.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I made a big pot of primal chili last night, and currently have in the slow cooker pulled pork (which I've never made before). It's going to be an easy week of salad and leftovers for the upcoming week -- what a relief! /Lu

Edit: PM: I did another hour on the yoga mat and yoga ball while watching a movie. I'm feeling so lean and strong, despite the fact that I'm eating more. We'll see how the next two weeks fare --- I'm feeling like a lean, mean machine!
    p.s No dinner --- two meals today./Lu

/Lu
    Last edited by Louisa655; 11-18-2012 at 03:57 AM.
    F, 48, 5'10"

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast