Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: abi:naturalsupernatural page 3

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ohhhh the irony.... a golfer joker after a greeting to the POTUS... hilarious!

Richardmac is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abi View Post
    do you think so? I'm not massively au fait with the physiology of the whole thing, but from what I've read when trying to become a fat-adapted, excess body fat counts as a fuel - in PB, Mark specifically recommends skipping breakfast and letting your body burn the 'extra folds' instead...what are your thoughts on that? I realise it isn't as simple as calories in, calories out...but I definitely have body fat to burn.

Of course I am never going to disagree entirely with Marks suggestions but are you sure he said to skip breakfast. It seems more likely and inline with recetn studies that he meant exercise before breakfast. I can understand that as the body has to call upon its ove fat storest ot burn as calories for fuel. One thing to consider (apologies if I mentioned it before) is honey and lemon in the AM. It tastes great, is better for you that caffeinated drinks which as Diuretics only dehydrate you upsetting the bodies water balance thus forcing you to Pee more. Honey and lemon will also give the brain suger to help wake you up and will kick start the metabolism for fat burning. That alongside some pre-breakfast exercise will do wonders.

I think probably in terms of macronutrient ratios I still have a lot to work on, I am not a natural tracker. But I hope that comes with time and also with me finding better organic/grass-fed sources for stuff.

(what do you mean by this? I can't figure it out)
    It would take horribly long descriptions to type out the list of mobility exercises I use or give to poeple to before I do that, check our 'mobilitywod.com' Kelly Starett is awesome.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

abi
    abi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    It would take horribly long descriptions to type out the list of mobility exercises I use or give to poeple to before I do that, check our 'mobilitywod.com' Kelly Starett is awesome.

Richard
    Thanks for the breakdown - that's helpful, I'll have to try it out

abi
    abi is offline Member
    Been a bit quiet the last few days. My work has got a bit busier as the junior staff have rotated giving me a new team member, who needs a LOT of input. Lol, I really need to watch those stress levels. Anyway, went to my baby shower on Wednesday - didn't realise it was a sit down meal - managed to get away with having a bit of chilli <picked out the kidney beans> with a tiny bit of rice. I accepted some cheesecake and wee bit of ice cream as just could not face having to go talk about paleo etc....need to be more prepared for that sort of thing. Very late night though as struggled to get a taxi due to Celtic trouncing Barcelona...ended up having to share a cab with some Celtic-fans, not so fun.

Thursday dragggggged, probably due to cheesecake/icecream/latenight combo - I dunno, just didn't feel great. I ate breakfast to see if would help <bacon&eggs>, but didn't and I could have munched all day - sugar cravings!!! Today is much the same, but trying to overcome. Gonna raincheck with friends and aim to get an early night tonight as don't want this debt to stack up. Who knows what I'll have for dinner?? Next week must have a menu plan.
    Last edited by abi; 11-09-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: when I say 'my' baby shower, it is not for 'my' baby, I am not pregnant!

abi
    abi is offline Member
    well Friday was much the same as Thursday. Saturday I woke up determined to conquer my three day downward spiral into sugar consumption and fatigue. I went to the box and had a great workout and ate great all day, for dinner I gutted and filleted 6 sardines, I have never gutted a fish before and it felt good. I also repotted all my houseplants....aah domestic godess-ing doesn't come natural but the results are good. Was out last night with guys from work - were down at The Stand comedy club, it was a fairly good line-up and we all laughed our heads off. I had two glasses of red wine and the rest of the time drank soda.

Today I'm supposed to be going out for brunch/lunch with my bro and his girlfriend, they should be cool with my PB requests and I am armed with the 'I'm not tolerant of gluten' card.

Remembrance Sunday today - this is what I am thinking on:
    "Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton
    "I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask, 'Mother, what was war?'" -Eve Merriam

abi
    abi is offline Member
    Great brunch, although got there after 12 - beef goulash soup...amazing, really want to try to recreate that at home and thinking abt investing in a slow cooker. For dinner I was round a friends for Sunday roast: chicken with cauli, mangetout and roasties (1st potatoes in 6 weeks!). Snacks were my personal fave of frozen berries blended with coconut milk, basically making ice cream, and some dark chocolate. That's me finished up my sweet treats now, as I want to try a dessert-free week to try to break my need of a 'dessert' after every meal.

Pretty sore after yesterday's WOD, I had a look at the website recommended by Richard earlier and looks v good so will try and have a more useful browse to get started. Hitting the box tomorrow too so we will see....its got to get vaguely easier right? Think my sister might join me at the box which will make motivation better I reckon.

Good night, good day.

abi
    abi is offline Member
    Monday! I do like Mondays....fresh start. I have never been able to get my head round the week starting on Sunday. Well the DOMS where pretty bad, my lower limb and trunk recovers pretty quick but my upper back and arms....gulp. Anyway my new Crossfit motto is 'just turn up' and surprisingly got through the WOD, maybe did tk it a wee bit easier than I could have but heyho.

I have a menu for this week so feeling v organised and hopefully won't spend two weeks of grocery money in one!
    B: one cup of coffee with almond milk
    L: braised red cabbage salad with bacon
    D: pork stew with cauli rice
    Snks: a lot of crispy kale, 4 taps of des. coconut

Question: Crossfit is ripping my hands to shreds, beyond using a lot of chalk, any other tips?

abi
    abi is offline Member
    Quiet day, was short staffed so was preparing myself mentally to deal with stress but actually turned out fine. supposed to see Skyfall tonight but my bro ditched me last minute...oh well, made sausage casserole instead for tomorrow.

B: cup of coffee with 1tsp coconut oil and almond milk, some remnants of red cabbage & bacon
    L: red cabbage and bacon with one avo
    D: pork stew with spinach and green beans
    Sncks: toasted seeds and desiccated coconut - this totally tipped me over the calorie intake but struggling post dinner without my sugar/choc fix

I've been sticking the last two days into myfitnesspal in an attempt to sort out my ratios and calories as slowly working my way through Paleobird's excellent thread on 'eat MOAR fat'. Think that is what sabotaged my weight loss in the last two weeks as was adding loads of fat without scaling anything else back. We will see....

Cals:1589
    Fat: 96g (56%)
    Carb: 54g (23%)
    Protein: 80g (21%)

I still have quite a bit of work to do to improve those as haven't done basic calculations to work recommended intake, so hopefully things will improve
    Thanks for all the help though...I will get there!
    Last edited by abi; 11-13-2012 at 09:56 PM.

abi
    abi is offline Member
    Good morning, gotta love Wednesday, I woke up almost nauseous at the thought of food...gonna try and get my fat ratios better today:
    Goals: P 58-72g, C 33g (net), F 130g - I think I'll work back from trying this to sort total calories (I'm guessing abt 1300-1500 should do ne whilst I'm still leaning out)

Crappo joke for Wednesday:

How do you make Lady Gaga cry?
    Poke'er face

abi
    abi is offline Member
    So first attempt at hitting the above targets:
    B: large cup of coffee with 1t of c/o and almond milk
    L: tin of mackerel in extra virgin oil with abt 3 cups of leafy salad with olives and radish
    D: sausage casserole (pork sausages, celery, corgette, mushrooms, tomato, chicken stock and some coconut milk)
    Macros: F: 79g/66%, P: 52g/19%, C: 26g/13% (cals:1065)

Didn't sleep great last night. I woke up way too early. Felt a bit nauseous all morning, very full - didn't fancy eating lunch at all but was ok when got started. Had abt a 10min power nap on train into town after work which helped pep me up for WOD. My sister came along and really liked it...yay for having a cf buddy.

Verdict:
    - better percentages but still not hitting fat %ages - mebbe phase back in some cream/greek yoghurt
    - need to get better sleep, enjoyed Marks post today, will deffo take that on board
    - crossfit motto is working well

Question:
    Does your body ever not hurt doing Crossfit?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast