Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of us changed EVERYTHING? Or: Thank you all! page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

How many of us changed EVERYTHING? Or: Thank you all!

Shop Now
    I know I'm not the only one here who has changed their life for the better. But there's the food, and then there's this new way of life. Since finding the Primal Blueprint I've made it a point to keep a walking, standing job. My wife and I bought a house on five acres and plan to produce as much of our own food as possible, to stick it to big agra, big pharma and to optimize our health. Five years ago I was a chubby, zitty city kid playing video games and eating hostess processed foods daily, with spaghetti for dinner. I didn't save any money or plan for the future even a little. Today I'm a fit man, I had a ribmeat steak with two duck eggs for breakfast, spent three hours chopping and hauling firewood in the rain to get ready for the winter, and took my shoes off when I came in from being outside in the mud. I am living an entirely new life, I have erased so many risk factors and have added so many good habits that I'm barely me anymore - and that's a good thing. My health is vastly better, yes. But now I'm part of the army of change, working to make America strong again. I never thought I could, or would, be part of the solution. I never would have gone this far without all of your stories and inspiration. I know some of us are still renting an apartment and eating cheap hot dogs, either getting started or just not quite as inspired to buck the system and make the world a better place. But EVERYONE here is an inspiration in some way, and all your inspiration, along with all the info I've come across concerning monsanto, animal abuse, malnutrition and more have turned me into a whole new person. Has anyone else completely reformatted their lives in this way? Did you move, start a garden, get to know your neighbors or anything? I can't wait for what's next, and I'm so glad to share this place with you all.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I changed pretty much everything. Not all at once of course. I do however still work at an office job sitting in a chair for 8 hours per day. Five years ago I was obese, on daily meds, tired at all times, not exercising in any way, eating crap food, downing cereal left and right, getting poor sleep, and a slave to CW. Then my wife started me on a path I am still on.

Now I have my own garden, my own basement gym, lift heavy things every other day, do an occasional sprint, play with my daughter, play with my dog, take more vacations, eat real food, support sustainable agricultural, shop at the farmers market every week, drive a more fuel efficient car, get to bed early (and sleep like a baby), never take prescription meds and rarely take over-the-counter meds, am saving money, wear VFF's, am optimistic and positive most of the time, and live an almost stress-free life. Yep, I've pretty much turned everything around. At 40 years old I am fitter, healthier, happier than I have ever been. I didn't feel this good when I was 21.

Thank you everyone and thanks Knifegill for starting this thread. It made me feel good to say all that. And as always THANKS MARK! And Robb Wolf too because I'm also a big fan of his. I don't post much but I do read this site every day. You are all an inspiration to me. Keep up the good work!
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Eating: changed substantially. Was already finding out about GMOs and BPA. Already knew that high carb eating is for livestock. Didn't know about the hazards of grains and unhealthiness of legumes. Learned why grass fed, really free range, wild are all better than CAFO. Learned about how ubiquitous corn and soy are in almost everything that comes in a bag, can, or box.

Exercise: always been an on and off again exerciser. Basics have always been walking and weights. Trying to not lapse into the on again off again habit, but haven't been primal long enough to really prove it to myself.

Sunlight: don't like it. But since I walk outside, I get it.

Sleep: used to brag I could live on 5 hours a day. Now I force myself to get 7+ hours, even if I have to take naps, and I often do.

Playing and using one's brain. Since not much in my life requires creative thinking, I make sure to do a couple of number puzzles per day. I also see that this is something I should do as I age.

Avoid poisons: In food, I'm doing great. I still drink alcohol too often. Working on it.

Results: Fitter in body. Less moody. So, still a WIP.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Knifefgill,

Your posts are always informative and fun to read. I love your enthusiasm and passion for all things primal. I'm very proud and very happy for you!

Earlier this year, I devoted myself to Crossfit. I absolutely loved it. But due to an injury I sustained during a warm-up (I know, RIGHT?!?!) I had to quit for a while. That while turned into months since I got married, honeymoon-ed AND bought a new house. Craziest summer ever.

Buying a house and going from a condo townhome has been challenging: having to do yard work and look after things we didn't have to. But we're doing it. I had to make serious changes to my diet when I found out I had an intolerance to eggs and dairy, among other things. But I've stuck with it, and I'm doing all the better for it. It's not change that happens overnight, but when you stick to it, and see results, your own self-confidence and overall contentment soars!

I've recently taken up a Mindfulness course. It's made an incredible difference in my mood, depression and stress levels. It's brought me back down to earth and given me a peace I didn't think would ever exist in me. I am intensely grateful for it. I still have a few weeks left and plan on continuing in my day-to-day life.

I just bought myself a Nike+ Fuel band, which is going to get me active again even if I don't hit up Crossfit again soon. But I do plan on returning. Gotta figure out a plan for getting there/back (we only have one car, and winter is coming) and how to pay for it. Crossfit ain't cheap, but I love it! I love the camaraderie, love the intensity, love the new WOD every time you go in. I'm the type who NEEDS to GET OUT and do something. I can't work out from home. I have no motivation that way. Kudos to those who can.

I started my food blog which was something I thought about for years. It's honing my writing skills which I thought were all but lost. I'm really happy with it, and hope it grows and becomes infinitely successful!

Last, but certainly not least: I have learned so much about food, health and nutrition in the last three years. I spend an inordinate amount of time reading MDA, Chris Kresser and the like. But I've taken in so much and gained so much. It's incredible. Friends and family come to me with health questions, food woes. It's unbelievable. So many of you here on these forums have been an amazing help as well. We are all one big n=1 experiment, and I love the gathering of minds and opinions.

You're all fucking great!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    You guys rock. I started this in 2010 and lost about 18 pounds through the diet change and a cleanse or two but felt better than ever. Then I lost my job and even though I worked out, after about 2 months, I felt useless and the pounds starting piling back on. Almost 10 but I'm working again and I've lost some but my job unfortunately, doesn't allow me the time at lunch time to work out like the other and if I don't get up at 4:30 and work out sometimes in the evenings I'm exhausted and just don't feel like it. I'm looking for another job since this one doesn't give me that balance that I crave and need to successful but I'm not giving up and I keep cooking while others eat pizza and take out every day! Never give up!
    Health is Wealth!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I started in April 2010. I started with the diet, but then began to make changes overall of minimizing stress in my life. I also take more time to enjoy nature and the outdoors. I also cook all my food and for my family, which I really enjoy. It's been a great change for me.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    The biggest changes for me were diet shifts from health CW to primal. Learning about red meat and getting in the habit of eating it has been a big change. I was all about salmon and skinless chicken before but couldn't tell a roast from a t bone let alone how best to cook it. Getting 1/2 cow last year has made me learn. Now about to get 1/2 pig and 1/2 cow. Just got a sausage grinder/stuffer and am going to have some real fun!

I was also a committed 3-5x week runner and never did any strength stuff. Completely changed that around.

As another post above noted, by one glaring inconsistency is over exuberant wine consumption. A guy's gotta have at least one vice, right?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Let's see: while I'm in the midst of dietary experimentation of all kinds with all kinds of non-Primal ideas, I still consider the PB (non-low-carb edition) to be a good baseline to return to, for good basic health and maintaining a healthy if not-quite-ideal body composition (for me; some people do better), and I don't eat anything like how I used to. But yeah, it goes way further than that.

I stand at work all day with no shoes on (sometimes flip-flops, to give my soles a rest from the industrial-carpet-on-concrete floor). People think I'm a little weird.

I go outside for a walk even when it's 110 degrees outside because not getting sun on my skin is unacceptable. People think I'm more than a little weird for that.

I walk and run my dog all over my neighborhood with no shoes on. People think I'm a little weird for that one too, but I'm actually converting my neighbor to the idea, lol.

I say things like "all jobs are basically semi-voluntary slavery" and "voting is kinda immoral" and "being indoors is bad for you" all the time. People think I'm weird.

My wife and I are going to move into a travel trailer or a small van RV (haven't decided yet) and nomad all over the country for the foreseeable future with only the most minimal itinerary and no particular goals besides adventure and self-discovery, starting this spring. Now THAT is going to make people think we're really weird. But it's kind of sad, because most people I talk to say some variation of "oh, man, that sounds really awesome. I could never do that." And I'm always thinking, why not? Who's stopping you? Oh, yeah, your mortgage and your car loan and your cable TV addiction and your Chinese takeout habit and your complete lack of confidence, self-reliance and skills that don't involve computers and paperwork, that's who. In other words, you're stopping you.

You can keep all that crap, you know? I just wanna go play outside.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    I changed pretty much everything. Not all at once of course. I do however still work at an office job sitting in a chair for 8 hours per day. Five years ago I was obese, on daily meds, tired at all times, not exercising in any way, eating crap food, downing cereal left and right, getting poor sleep, and a slave to CW. Then my wife started me on a path I am still on.

Now I have my own garden, my own basement gym, lift heavy things every other day, do an occasional sprint, play with my daughter, play with my dog, take more vacations, eat real food, support sustainable agricultural, shop at the farmers market every week, drive a more fuel efficient car, get to bed early (and sleep like a baby), never take prescription meds and rarely take over-the-counter meds, am saving money, wear VFF's, am optimistic and positive most of the time, and live an almost stress-free life. Yep, I've pretty much turned everything around. At 40 years old I am fitter, healthier, happier than I have ever been. I didn't feel this good when I was 21.

Thank you everyone and thanks Knifegill for starting this thread. It made me feel good to say all that. And as always THANKS MARK! And Robb Wolf too because I'm also a big fan of his. I don't post much but I do read this site every day. You are all an inspiration to me. Keep up the good work!
    nice response!!!
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    I changed my food and that is all I can manage at the moment. I have a severe case of new single mom exhaustion.

...but once I finish up my MS in Nursing Education, I plan to move to rural Texas, teach nursing school and buy 5 or 10 acres and do just what you and your wife did. Set up a little homestead, get some chickens, sheep, ducks and a Jersey Cow and raise my kiddos out in the country. Good for you guys...and so jelous that I cant do it yet...but the two little chicks I do have gotta eat...

PS There is a great forum called Homsteading Today that has great information for people who are rasing their own animals or running little or big homsteads.
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast