Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long for paleo/primal to go really mainstream? page 3

Lowcarb4me is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I know I about fell off my chair last week in the doctor's office when we were discussing my unexplained weight gain in spite of increased exercise and low carbing, and she said "You should try the Caveman Diet". This from a mainstream CW medical, VEGAN MD!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I believe that it'll gain a bigger profile and following due to its scientific underpinning, but that it'll be very actively suppressed by the powers that be due to its conflicts with big pharma maximising its profits for treatments for chronic inflammatory diseases and whatnot.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

ReclaimtheApex is offline Junior Member
    Yup, never gonna go mainstream. In order to enjoy paleo/primal, you have to really understand it. This requires research and some brains. Most people are stupid, lazy, or both. NEVER gonna go mainstream.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I brought it up with a team of dietitians at work yesterday; I've worked with a few of them and they all seemed like reasonable people, otherwise I wouldn't have even mentioned paleo/primal. Anyway, the response was "I think any diet will work as long as you can stick to it, but we cannot promote paleo because there is no scientific evidence behind it."

Le sigh.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes well-formulated theory with a scientific underpinning holds way more value than accepted scientific evidence.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    At best we'll get slotted in alongside the vegans.

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReclaimtheApex View Post
    Yup, never gonna go mainstream. In order to enjoy paleo/primal, you have to really understand it. This requires research and some brains. Most people are stupid, lazy, or both. NEVER gonna go mainstream.
    You have it in a (cynical) nutshell. I hope you are wrong.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    This is another factor in why the mainstream in the US will never accept paleo/primal. You kinda have to buy into the concept that homo evolved in the environment over 2.4 million years. In the US only 4 of 10 people believe in evolution. At the extreme you have a substantial group of folks echoing this mans ignorance.
    I believe in Creation, and have no issue being Paleo. The food aspect of the research is sound, in my opinion. Whether or not man "evolved" or, as I believe, was created this way, I know that I have lost tons of weight and feel better!

CelloIsLove is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReclaimtheApex View Post
    Sorry, but that sounds kind of elitist. I think it will go mainstream, but it won't be easy once it is. It will be skewed by critics and followers alike, just like every diet.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I doubt it will ever go mainstream because there are no fast, convenient products to buy. You have to buy (or grow or forage) whole foods and cook them. The majority of people can't be bothered to cook anything.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast