Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long for paleo/primal to go really mainstream? page 2

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    There is a lot of good evidence for it, and a lot of people finding it, but until the gov comes on board there will be huge media machine of the gov and big agra pushing for the whole grain poison....hard to admit they are wrong.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Better known - yes. Mainstream - we have a long way to go.

Things that give me hope: A landlord who though he calls it Caveman, has a lot of respect because a friend of his, diagnosed with MS has been in remission since eating this way. A neighbor who knows how many carbs she needs to go below before going into ketosis. Another neighbor who is anti-soy; he's also anti-grains, but so far won't act on that.

The thing that makes me know that mainstream acceptance is a long way off: The small city I left a year and a half ago has a large main drag with just about ever generic store you can think of - Target, Walmart, all the crap food places (McD, KFC, etc.). A friend of mine tells me that since the economic downturn, the busiest places on this drag are all the fast food places. Anything unique or different has basically died. And this is a city that prides itself in its green mentality.

So when people are talking progressive ideas, but still eating food that isn't food, I think healthy eating and regular sane exercise in the mainstream is still a long way off.

Neely is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    I do not think it will ever go mainstream. Most come this way because they have made a choice, they are curious about health and nutrition and are willing to do something about it.Most do not even get there.

Researching all aspects of health, nutrition and doing something about it eliminates probably 90% of the population. Say you have 10% of the remaining population who discover paleo/primal. Most of that 10% will not accept paleo/primal as their answer for all kinds of reasons. That leaves a small percent of people who will buy into paleo/prima after researching health and diet. How many of you have told family,friends etc what you are doing and got a response like you just grew horns? "Oh, your doing the Atkins diet!" You then try and explain some principles and watch their eyes glaze over. Nope. This way of living is not for everyone. Requires too much evaluating and change for the majority of people.

The other aspect is that even within the community you have such a wide spectrum of people and ideas which has had a lot of people at odds with each other the last year or so. Low carb vs people who eat a lot of carbs. You have all kinds of people who come on this forum and start arguing how Sisson's Primal is not sound and then proceed to tell people their version of paleo/primal.

The way is not for everyone, and that's kind of a shame but there is nothing that can change that.
    Yes some very good points here I think. That's the sort of response I was talking about as well, the horn/Atkins type of thing. It is also a good point about doing the reading through all what is out there. Most people just can't be bothered to do that - full-stop. Change is another good point. It's as much about over-turning bad in-grained habits as anything else. Not having chips/fries with a portion of meat or going without bread is simply too bizarre for most people as a question of habit.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    My opinion is that those who hop on board for the "quick fix" will jump off just as fast. Right now, it's a fad diet. So was being a vegetarian until some senator became one, then pushed congress to make it more mainsteam (big agra kick back, anyone?). Big agra is not going to let some "fad" diet take their profits. Neither are the industrial animal farms.

Most people would find that they would be happier and healthier, eating better, something the big pharma cannot let happen.

I will admit, I have been preparing for the Zompocolypse for years now, so I might be high on the paranoia scale.

It comes down to one thing and one thing only, who gets money? If the infamous "They" have to spend that money to get the sheeple back on board, they will, as long as "Their" profits grow.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I do not think it will ever go mainstream. Most come this way because they have made a choice, they are curious about health and nutrition and are willing to do something about it.Most do not even get there.

Researching all aspects of health, nutrition and doing something about it eliminates probably 90% of the population. Say you have 10% of the remaining population who discover paleo/primal. Most of that 10% will not accept paleo/primal as their answer for all kinds of reasons. That leaves a small percent of people who will buy into paleo/prima after researching health and diet. How many of you have told family,friends etc what you are doing and got a response like you just grew horns? "Oh, your doing the Atkins diet!" You then try and explain some principles and watch their eyes glaze over. Nope. This way of living is not for everyone. Requires too much evaluating and change for the majority of people.

The other aspect is that even within the community you have such a wide spectrum of people and ideas which has had a lot of people at odds with each other the last year or so. Low carb vs people who eat a lot of carbs. You have all kinds of people who come on this forum and start arguing how Sisson's Primal is not sound and then proceed to tell people their version of paleo/primal.

The way is not for everyone, and that's kind of a shame but there is nothing that can change that.
    +1,000

LiquidVTX is offline Junior Member
    My Costco is carrying big tubs of organic coconut oil so it's gaining momentum!

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    This is another factor in why the mainstream in the US will never accept paleo/primal. You kinda have to buy into the concept that homo evolved in the environment over 2.4 million years. In the US only 4 of 10 people believe in evolution. At the extreme you have a substantial group of folks echoing this mans ignorance.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Moochy you post the most interesting links!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't believe in evolution as much as I believe in spontaneous genesis. It's not a God thing. I'm an atheist. There really isn't a lot of evidence to prove evolution. But there's no evidence to prove a god. As always, jmo, and n=1.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    This is another factor in why the mainstream in the US will never accept paleo/primal. You kinda have to buy into the concept that homo evolved in the environment over 2.4 million years. In the US only 4 of 10 people believe in evolution. At the extreme you have a substantial group of folks echoing this mans ignorance.
    The New York Times > Science > Image > Chart: Belief in Evolution, by Country
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast