Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helping Someone Transition page

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member

Helping Someone Transition

Hi everyone ...

Been a while, must admit I fell off the wagon a few months back. Met a lovely lady, many dates and evenings out ... and well ... I ate very non-primal for a while.

However recently my partner (who while absolutely gorgeous, is carrying some extra weight and is fairly partial to many of the SAD foods, especially sugar ) became interested in Primal living when I expressed a desire to get back to it, recalling how great I felt when I was fully primal. So I encouraged her to read the Primal Blueprint, which she has done and she thought it made tons of sense.

So we have both commenced back on the lifestyle, and I'm enjoying being back. We've made quite a few primal meals off this website and others.

Two weeks in though, things are getting tough for her. While dinners are fine, she is really struggling to find anything to eat for breakfast and lunch. She is hungry most of the time, and feeling very depressed. I'm doing all I can to support her, and she is trying very hard, but I can see how much of a struggle it is for her, and I obviously am concerned about the long term sustainability of it if it is making her so unhappy.

Would love to hear thoughts and recommendations on what else I can do to help, and what else we can look at foodwise ... I suspect having cut out the carbs her fat intake isn't high enough. Unfortunately while I can get away with eating a few big meals a day and be happy, she only eats relatively small portion sizes, but then is hungry soon thereafter.

Any advice or thoughts greatly received!
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Fat and protein are very satiating. When I eat breakfast, I have either eggs (typically scrambled in butter with seasoned hamburger crumbles if I'm at home, or an omelet if I'm on the road) or deli-sliced meat and cheese (no bread, but some veggies folded in if convenient). I just roll that up.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Oh - and welcome back!

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Anlee

She is a bit of a slow starter in the morning so cooked breakfasts are hard. Very much need something quick to go, I've tried introducing her to my primal smoothie ... 2 ice cubes, can of coconut milk, handful mixed berries, banana, half an avocado, dash vanilla, and generous serve of cinnamon, but all she can taste is the coconut milk which she doesn't like.
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    You can also just make massive amounts of breakfast food and heat up the leftovers. I also hate cooking in the morning, because I'm the type to schedule my morning down to the minute to get as much sleep as possible (I seriously set my alarm for something like 5:47 with the goal to get out the door at 6:03). I personally like to make a massive omelet on Sunday night and then reheat the leftovers in the microwave on weekday mornings while I'm getting dressed. I made an awesome one the other day - artichokes, chicken apple sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, spinach, and cheese. Today I just had a bunch of cheese curds out of the bag as I drove to work, haha.

egrok is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz71 View Post
    Thanks Anlee

She is a bit of a slow starter in the morning so cooked breakfasts are hard. Very much need something quick to go, I've tried introducing her to my primal smoothie ... 2 ice cubes, can of coconut milk, handful mixed berries, banana, half an avocado, dash vanilla, and generous serve of cinnamon, but all she can taste is the coconut milk which she doesn't like.
    There is a great recipe for pumpkin muffins in the book Practical Paleo. I like to make a bunch on Sunday then eat throughout the week. And there's a recipe for cranberry sauce to put on top too!

If you make bacon on Sunday, you can easily nuke that for a quick break-fast addon.

Or pre-make pumpkin or banana pancakes and zap those too.

Don't forget, leftovers are great for breakfast!

egrok is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz71 View Post
    Thanks Anlee

Oh and how could I forget, I did this just today - premake some sweet potatoes for breakfast too. I like to throw a little cajun seasoning after I heat them up. I personally prefer them with eggs and the pre-made bacon I mentioned, but they're good on their own too.

And fruit is always a possibility. Bananas, apples, grapes....

egrok is offline Member
    Also, if she doesn't like coconut milk, try almond milk.

I don't like the texture of either (too watery) so I add some Kefir to make it thicker.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Or greek yoghurt, or real cream - or a mixture.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    She could also add extra butter or cream or bacon to her smaller meals, it will seem unnatural at first but should help them last a bit longer. However it might hamper her trying to lose weight.

If she's like me, then she needs enough protein at each meal, some good non starchy veges and a wee bit of fat in the form of nuts, olives avocado etc to kickstart the fat burning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast