Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helping Someone Transition page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I found that the secret to making breakfast work without being all hungry during the day is to have enough fat in the meal.

A microwaved egg, mixed with cream and with a lump of butter, is some low hanging fruit. As it were.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the ideas people, keep them rolling!

On the fruit topic, I am always a little wary, aren't they a little high sugar? Obviously not processed, but still ...

Pumpkin muffins sound interesting must check those out.

On the more general topic, how about dealing with the withdrawals and cravings for SAD type foods, and the impact this has on mood. Personally I didn't find it too difficult to give all the bad stuff up but I can see how giving up all the things that were favourites, even though we all know they are bad, is very difficult for some. Any experiences with this would be greatly appreciated too.
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, that's the addictive nature of these products (I don't think of them as food any more). The trouble is, that by succumbing to the desire for sugar or whatever, it only prolongs the process. Going cold turkey has to be the quickest way to get through the cravings, and then once you start eating fully primal you can learn to like new and even better treats - dark chocolate, real icecream to name a couple.

Meanwhile, maybe try reaching for a protein/fat snack such as salami, nuts, or cheese and see if that can stave off the hunger pangs for a bit. The key is to have something ready to grab when the urge strikes. I've also found that it's hard to resist snacking if you spend all day at home with the kitchen just too handy, maybe temporarily finding places to go and things to do to keep away from the fridge?

Overall, I have found that my moods have balanced out A LOT with this way of eating - I don't get the sugar shakes any more, for example. I hope that she will have the courage to persevere through this stage (which really needn't last long) to reap the benefits of greater health, energy, even moods, and fat loss.

And yes, I would be wary of fruit at this stage of the game, liable to initiate sugar cravings. Berries and cream are good though.

I really like cooking now, and preparing my delicious primal foods, but at first it all seemed like a lot of hassle. Maybe thinking about breakfast the night before, even dishing a nice portion of leftovers onto a plate ready for microwaving, will make it seem more appealing in the morning.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Another thing which helps with the transition is broth - real bone broth is best, but even commercial broth (Wyler's, e.g.) will help. It helps with mineral balance, which changes dramatically when you remove the grains (and even more if you remove all starches, which is not required under primal, but sure helps most folks with weight loss).

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Is she going real low carb? I've found I can only sustain VLC for a week or so and then get severely depressed. If I have 1/2c fruit with breakfast, come cheese with lunch, and potato for dinner my mood stays much better and I'm still losing weight. If I start to get depressed we run make sure to include potatoes into dinner again.

KWM
    KWM is offline Member
    I'm with Annlee and Annieh here --

Bone broth is a great breakfast for those of us whose stomachs just don't want much in the a.m. Do NOT make the silly assumption that "breakfast" has to look like a Wheaties commercial -- all the SWEET. I don't season my bone broth when I make it, so I add a scant teaspoon of Mrs. Renfro's Green Jalapeno Salsa for that 5:00 a.m. ZING~

And fruit is a huge de-railer for this girl. Once I'm firmly in ketosis (where I like to live, but from which, alas, I often roam) I can savor small portions of fruit without hogging out. But until then, during transition, I avoid having a lot of fruit around, even in the freezer. That Costco bag of mixed berries starts calling my name . . .

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    My go-to breakfast is 6oz of full fat Greek yogurt and half an avocado.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    My youngest has found the lack of cereal in the morning to be the most difficult, so (thanks to a suggestion somewhere on this site - can't remember where or who, but can't take any credit myself ) I get coconut flakes and gently roast them, then give them to my daughter like cereal, with milk or cream and sometimes yoghurt and/or fresh berries. It's stopped her craving the chocolate start to the day, and has also been a great help for my OH when he's travelling! It might just help get over the "arrgh, there's nothing quick for breakfast" stage.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I'm having the same issue with my lady friend, so I feel you man. I find that it's helpful to go out of my way to make special primal treats, even if it's not something I would have made for myself. Sometimes I wake up early enough to make her breakfast, and that seems to lead to happier days. Also, change up your meals so that the same old primal dishes don't get overused, this is my main issue. I can eat the same thing every week, but she needs way more variety.
    Good luck, and Grok on!

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As far as relatively primal treats go (and if you don't mind using almond flour), then you could check out Healthy Gluten Free Recipes | Elana&#039;s Pantry - she has a primal/paleo section which has some not too awful ideas which might help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast