Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books. page

bdilla is offline Senior Member

Books.

Primal Fuel
    What are some good, scientifically sound books some of you recommend? (on the topic of paleo, nutrition, lifestyle etc in line with the PB)
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

anybody..?

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    1. Clarence Bass's Ripped series and newer. Note: while some of the info is outdated with newer science, and some of his literature isn't quite straight forward, his main message is solid. And I can honestly say that is what I have based everything I've done over the years on. The main message is that you need to have a long term approach that keeps you satisfied.

2. The warrior diet. Its not exactly based on science at the time he wrote it, but some of it has eventually been backed on science.

3. The anything goes diet by John Barbon.

4. Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon.

5. How much protein? by Brad Pilon.

6. Some of the stuff from Rusty Moore's website that has to do with fast fat loss.

Notes from me:
    To give you a summary of what I have come up with, its a plan that is highly satisfying, highly flexible plan that definitely works.
    1. You must have a sustainable plan that is satisfying and flexible enough to work anywhere and with your life style.
    2. Calories are king when it comes to fat loss. So if weight is an issue, it won't matter what, when, or how often you eat as long as the calories are taken care of.
    3. Fast fat loss can be better if you're overweight, because nobody wants to cut for a very long period of time. And no, it isn't going to make you're muscles melt off.
    4. Being leaner is healthier, even if you aren't eating the best foods.
    5. Considering point #4, and with all else being equal, paleo will be the more healthy way to go. In other words, when it comes to health, calories trumps good foods vs bad foods, but good foods vs bad foods still counts.
    6. Considering the above points, there are foods that make fat loss easier, because they are more satisfying and lower in calories. Let's be real. You'd be much better off with a meal of fish and oranges vs bacon and ice cream. You do the math!

egrok is offline Member
    1. Wheat Belly
    *lots of science, not too technical, plus the doctor's own experiences

2. Good Calories, Bad Calories
    *packed with SO MUCH SCIENCE, it's AWESOME!!!!

Both are a must read!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    1. Clarence Bass's Ripped series and newer. Note: while some of the info is outdated with newer science, and some of his literature isn't quite straight forward, his main message is solid. And I can honestly say that is what I have based everything I've done over the years on. The main message is that you need to have a long term approach that keeps you satisfied.

2. The warrior diet. Its not exactly based on science at the time he wrote it, but some of it has eventually been backed on science.

3. The anything goes diet by John Barbon.

4. Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon.

5. How much protein? by Brad Pilon.

6. Some of the stuff from Rusty Moore's website that has to do with fast fat loss.

Notes from me:
    To give you a summary of what I have come up with, its a plan that is highly satisfying, highly flexible plan that definitely works.
    1. You must have a sustainable plan that is satisfying and flexible enough to work anywhere and with your life style.
    2. Calories are king when it comes to fat loss. So if weight is an issue, it won't matter what, when, or how often you eat as long as the calories are taken care of.
    3. Fast fat loss can be better if you're overweight, because nobody wants to cut for a very long period of time. And no, it isn't going to make you're muscles melt off.
    4. Being leaner is healthier, even if you aren't eating the best foods.
    5. Considering point #4, and with all else being equal, paleo will be the more healthy way to go. In other words, when it comes to health, calories trumps good foods vs bad foods, but good foods vs bad foods still counts.
    6. Considering the above points, there are foods that make fat loss easier, because they are more satisfying and lower in calories. Let's be real. You'd be much better off with a meal of fish and oranges vs bacon and ice cream. You do the math!
    I appreciate your response, however I'm looking for straight up science! I'm looking for a good knowledge base to help expand my knowledge of nutrition, metabolism, and exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by egrok View Post
    1. Wheat Belly
    *lots of science, not too technical, plus the doctor's own experiences

2. Good Calories, Bad Calories
    *packed with SO MUCH SCIENCE, it's AWESOME!!!!

Both are a must read!!!!
    Thanks! I've heard of both of them, never got around to picking them up. I'll check them out!

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    I really enjoyed 'the paleo solution' by Robb Wolf and 'It starts with food' by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig. I am reading PB now.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness Wayne View Post
    I really enjoyed 'the paleo solution' by Robb Wolf and 'It starts with food' by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig. I am reading PB now.
    +1 for The Paleo Solution
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Jimmy Moore has 100's of podcasts you can listen too. He has a wide range of professional resources, doctors, researchers, paleo advocates and so on you select from.

Chris Kresser is a source of all kinds of reputable research.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I'v ended up with a long reading list based on listening to the Underground Wellness podcast:

Michele Simon - Appetite for Profit Appetite for Profit | Underground Wellness

Zoe Harcombe - The Obesity Epidemic The Obesity Epidemic | Underground Wellness

Nora Gedgaudas - Primal body - Primal Mind Primal Body-Primal Mind | Underground Wellness

David Healy - Pharmageddon: How Big Pharma Hijacked Healthcare Pharmageddon: How Big Pharma Hijacked Healthcare | Underground Wellness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast