Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: i ate a chocolate bar page 4

Ellie_Miller is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Exactly. I'm not sure if the OP just wanted a chance to vent or what. You ate a chocolate bar. Good for you!

We are all different and, for some of us, it matters more than for others that we keep to a fairly strict protocol/diet/plan/<insert term here>. Some people have mentioned binging behavior. I don't suffer from that. I could eat a chocolate bar and walk away from the next one no problem. What I would do is knock myself out of ketosis and ketosis is how I maintain control of my epilepsy at a lower dosage of medication. I am also convinced that it is how I keep the cancer I had five years ago from coming back.

So, enjoy your effing candy bar. I have too much at stake to blow it for something so trivial. That's not me "freaking out", it's me doing what I need to to stay seizure free and alive. It MATTERS for some of us. If you don't have health problems, sure, I can see how a candy bar one way of the other is not such a big deal, but don't presume to judge when you are not in the other person's moccasins, OK?
    +100000 and to those that mentioned the "slippery slope" concept. Just remember, for some, it's psychologically/physically difficult to have one candy bar.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    To clarify, I wasn't bragging about my ability to eat a chocolate bar. I understand that some people cant handle eating sugar or they explode, the difference is though, between the people i am talking about and someone like paleobird is that if she eats a chocolate bar, she says to herself "fuck. i shouldnt have done that." she wouldnt come on here and post "omg. i just ate a chocolate bar. am i going to gain all my weight back that i lost and get diabetes?" because that doesnt happen to ANYONE.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hmmm, I frequently thought that stating it as a "lifestyle" rather than a diet pointed to posts like this Definitive Guide: The Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple . I would not call move frequently at a slow pace, or even "avoid poisonous things", as only being inherent to diet. It really is about more than food.....well if you bothered reading the book....which isn't a given on this forum. Not to mention diet just has a negative connotation as a short term fix/hack. Call this WOE a diet if you will, but living primal is more than diet.....at least if you are doing it right
    I have to say I agree with your statement. I do think lots of people here on the site forgo the physical aspects of the "lifestyle" though. I suppose thats why I see it as a diet. Or maybe because I was ALWAYS active, so the only thing i actually changed WAS my diet.

Good post.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Wow this thread is pointless! Thanks OP.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I think I'll weigh in on the 'diet' word.

I think the reason many people on this forum push back against calling Primal a 'diet' is because the word HAS been hijacked to mean 'I'm eating this way just long enough to lose weight and then I'm going to go back to eating all the crap I did before and be surprised when I don't stay skinny'. It's much easier to say 'I'm on a diet' then to say all that!

So yes. Primal IS a diet. So is CW. So is vegetarianism. So is vegan, raw, potato, twinkie, cabbage soup, fast food, or grapefruit. All of those are diets in the new sense of the word. A temporary way of eating for a specific result. Some of them are ALSO lifestyle diets. They are a way of eating that people intend to eat for a long time or even the rest of their life.

I think one of the important things to remember for anyone who actually wants to stay fit and be healthier (not just 'fit into that cute dress/pair of pants for a special occasion') is that a lifestyle diet will be a batter option. If being vegetarian works for you, Great! If veganism works for you, Great! If primal works for you, Great! If you really think you will maintain eating nothing but a grapefruit for breakfast every day for the rest of your life and that works for you, Great! But stay away from the 'celebrities lose 15 pounds in 2 days on this diet!' crap. It's not healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Wow this thread is pointless! Thanks OP.
    Good thing your meaningful post saved the day.

Its got 4 pages. Its a good discussion. maybe if you were a forum moderator you could decide what topics you liked and what topics you wanted deleted.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I might have just eaten two chocolate bars.

What? It's Halloween!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I think a lot of people post that they cheated for advice on how to get back on track and stay off the slippery slope. I also think people are afraid of cheating on vacation and getting sick. IE, they want to eat baguettes in France, but are worried about illness, which is a reality.

I've never seen anyone post "I ate candy and now am going to gain back all my weight and get diabetes", but I do think people worry about not being able to get back on track (and gaining back weight and getting diabetes). I think mostly they want support and to know that other people have gotten back on track and been fine.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    To clarify, I wasn't bragging about my ability to eat a chocolate bar. I understand that some people cant handle eating sugar or they explode, the difference is though, between the people i am talking about and someone like paleobird is that if she eats a chocolate bar, she says to herself "fuck. i shouldnt have done that." she wouldnt come on here and post "omg. i just ate a chocolate bar. am i going to gain all my weight back that i lost and get diabetes?" because that doesnt happen to ANYONE.
    The difference is that I wouldn't eat the chocolate bar in the first place. If you had ever had an epileptic seizure, you wouldn't either. And your OP did sound quite a bit like bragging about your coolness about being above those petty concerns that trouble the rest of us (like diabetes, cancer, epilepsy, thyroid issues, weight control). It was very much in the, "I ate a chocolate bar! Neener, neener, neener!" level of maturity.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I might have just eaten two chocolate bars.

What? It's Halloween!
    I did eat two chocolate bars-because it was Halloween. I enjoyed them and didn't feel an ounce of guilt over it. Woke up this morning and life went on.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast