Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturated fat + Carbs = bad? page

Lukey is offline Senior Member

Saturated fat + Carbs = bad?

Shop Now
    I know that Saturated fat is good for you, but some people are claiming that eating saturated fat with carbs is bad for you.

Dr Greg Ellis, a huge campaigner for the low carb high fat diet claims this.
    Saturated Fats Aren't Always Bad - YouTube

I know a lot of people are going to say the type of carb matters eg. bread vs tuber etc but they are saying it doesn't matter and having glucose with saturated fat is bad.

What do you guys think? (Please note i'm not concerned with weight gain just with health issues ie. CVD)
    Last edited by Lukey; 10-31-2012 at 10:36 AM.

bump.

sandokan2112 is offline Member
    Fat and carbs are both energy sources, so for my meals i will keep one macronutrient high and one low.
    e.g. during the day i keep fat intake high and carbs low (protein fairly high)..... then in the evening after my workout my meal consists of high carbs and low fat (protein high)

High amounts of fats and carbs in the same meal is a recipe for disaster. If you have been fasting for awhile or had one hell of a workout then you can probably get away with it (but still would not recommend it)

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a ridiculous idea. High carb and high fat together = a very high calorie meal. Very high calorie meals are indeed fattening. Your body clearly can make use of both types of energy, and does so all the time, at the same time.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Lowcarb4me is offline Junior Member
    Keep in mind that carbs are gonna elevate your insulin levels and what insulin does very effectively is pack away glucose in little packages (fat cells - triglycerides) for later use. This link does a better job than I do at explaining it: HowStuffWorks "Fat Storage and Insulin"

sandokan2112 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amandbaca View Post
    Fat and carbs are both energy sources
    yeah, that's right..

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    I know that Saturated fat is good for you, but some people are claiming that eating saturated fat with carbs is bad for you.

Dr Greg Ellis, a huge campaigner for the low carb high fat diet claims this.
    Saturated Fats Aren't Always Bad - YouTube

I know a lot of people are going to say the type of carb matters eg. bread vs tuber etc but they are saying it doesn't matter and having glucose with saturated fat is bad.

What do you guys think?
    Put another way, eating lots of carbs and fats together is an efficient way of shuttling the fat you consume straight into your fat cells.

If your goal is weight loss, then yeah, that's 'bad'. If your goal is weight gain then it's very good.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

I should have mentioned i am not concerned with weightgain just with health issues (ie. CVD)

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Calories in/Calories out still matters though.
    And it depends on what is high carb for you
    If it's in your calories alotment... Seriously some people here eat like 33C/33F/33P and they are not gaining fat.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

I'm not concerned with weight gain just with health

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast