Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saturated fat + Carbs = bad? page 3

ReclaimtheApex is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I somewhat agree...sometimes. I usually prefer to eat my satfats and carbs separate...fats + carbs = very high calorie meal. High calorie meals (primal or not) will spike insulin levels. You'll usually only want that effect after a crazy workout like a ridiculous crossfit metcon. But of course we don't do too many of those

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    That's absolutely not right.
    Many people eat 2, or even 1 meals per day.
    That means they eat most of their daily calories in one sitting.
    Yes, they spike insulin levels.
    But it's absolutely natural.
    This whole "evil" vision of insulin is absolutely ludicrous, insulin is natural and can be beneficial to the human body.
    It's NORMAL to raise insulin levels after a meal.
    Chronically raised insulin levels are the problem.

Snacking is worse than elevating your insulin with big meals.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    This whole "evil" vision of insulin is absolutely ludicrous, insulin is natural and can be beneficial to the human body.

completely agree with that.

completely agree with that.

ReclaimtheApex is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post

Don't know how you got that I was saying insulin was bad. Of course it's a useful hormone, but most people don't know how to control it effectively. You can't assume that everyone knows what they're doing, if they did then Mark would've stopped blogging a long time ago.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    yes i know this, i meant as in terms of type of carb with saturated fat that causes the saturated fat to be problematic, not the inflammation itself to be problematic.
    Yes, consuming sat fat with lots of fructose or sucrose on a regular basis is potentially far more inflammatory than eating sat fat with starch, other things being equal.

I don't believe that eating sat fat with starch when glycogen stores are reasonably depleted while not consuming a calorific surplus overall is any cause for concern.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

otzi Guest
    Eating fat and carbs together definitely changes things. Whether it's good or bad, I can't be certain, but if you measure your blood sugar after eating mainly starch, such as a plain potato, you will see a huge spike in blood sugar. If you eat glucose and fat, say a baked potato with butter and sour cream, the blood sugar spike will not be as high, but may last longer.

When you eat fat, there are different hormones released like CCK and bile which slow the digestion process so the hard-to-absorb fat and protein stays in the small intestine longer. If there is a carb load along for the ride, it gets slowed as well.

Like I said, I don't know if it's bad, but it definitely happens.

When I used to do carb refeeds, I ate lower fat and regular protein with lots of carbs. This would cause water weight gain of several pounds overnight. If I eat a massive amount of just plain potatoes, with no extra fat or protein, there is no water weight gain. What if the water weight gain from a carb refeed w/fat and protein added is really inflammation? It is often sold as normal, but maybe not.

Just my experience.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    When I used to do carb refeeds, I ate lower fat and regular protein with lots of carbs. This would cause water weight gain of several pounds overnight. If I eat a massive amount of just plain potatoes, with no extra fat or protein, there is no water weight gain. What if the water weight gain from a carb refeed w/fat and protein added is really inflammation? It is often sold as normal, but maybe not.
    Or you could argue that the protein synthesis with carbs would lead to muscle rebuilding, which usually includes water retention, and carbs by themself just catabolizes your own muscles, which leads to not as much water retention?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Or you could argue that the protein synthesis with carbs would lead to muscle rebuilding, which usually includes water retention, and carbs by themself just catabolizes your own muscles, which leads to not as much water retention?
    Lots to ponder...good points!

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Bump

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    yes i know this, i meant as in terms of type of carb with saturated fat that causes the saturated fat to be problematic, not the inflammation itself to be problematic.
    I think that there are good and bad carbs. And whether you eat them with or without saturated fat is largely irrelevant.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast