Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: no carbs page

gn
    gn is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

i go no carbs on some days, but now considering trying it for a longer period, perhaps a week or a month, is it dangerous?

(i'm trying to lower bf from current 14% to 10% (male); i work out fasted every morning for about 1 hour: lifting, sprinting, bodyweight)

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

No, its not dangerous.

Make sure though that you have sufficient protein and fat.

goodfriendsam Guest

What do you mean no carbs? You're not eating any vegetables whatsoever? Even eggs have small amounts of carbs.

Nothing bad will necessarily happen, but listen to your body. If your bowel movements are small, balled up, don't pass pleasantly, etc., you're in trouble. If your brain feels fuzzy for more than a week, you should change your diet immediately. I'd also be concerned about vitamin and nutrient deficiencies if you're not getting enough fruit and veggies.

Honestly though, I don't see the utility in vilifying a macronutrient. Protein, fats, carbs; they're just food. Eat good ones in each group and you're fine. I don't see how taking it to extremes is a good idea.

Sue

I presume the no carbs means no vegies or fruits.

There is no vilification of a macronutrient. For a month gn may try no carb to reach his bf goal.

A multi-vitamin and mineral supp can be taken if worried of nutrient deficiencies.

If constipated extra fat in diet will help or magnesium.

Paleo man would have gone through times when there wasn't much fruit or veg and had to live on mostly meats and stored body fat.

If gn is mostly a carb burner may need time to adjust to been a fat burner so may feel fuzzy in the head for a bit.

JulieD Guest

Many people do "Zero Carb", but there is an adjustment period. Your workouts may be more difficult at first. If you are doing it just to get your body fat down, consider what will happen if you go back to eating carbs. Many people who go zero carb consider it their lifestyle, not just a short-term fix.

Sue

gn, I was just reading over at Dr Eades blog and noted that you asked Dr Eades the question about eating no carb. He answered it was not dangerous.

maurile is offline Senior Member

If you're interested in how "zero carb" works, the three-part series of articles by Vilhjalmur Stefansson is a must-read. Here's part one (which has links to the other two):

http://www.biblelife.org/stefansson1.htm

They've done studies of Nordic people, entire families, eating nothing but protein and fat and found no incidence of disease and/ or nutrition deficiencies. Two journalists actually spent time with them and then applied a 'test' to their own lifestyle for a year when they returned home and also found no 'adverse affects'.

I need to find that article again...

Clint is offline Senior Member

I believe that if you want to subside on JUST animal sources, you have to increase your organ meat consumption to avoid vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

Muscle meat doesn't have as much nutritional value as plant sources when it comes to this regard. Almost all of the meat-eating only cultures that these studies are done on use the whole carcass for sustenance and not just the muscle meat.

PrimalCon New York

Good point Clint.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast