Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insulin Resistant and feeling lost.. a few EASY links please? page

Kymma is offline Senior Member

Insulin Resistant and feeling lost.. a few EASY links please?

Primal Fuel
    I am not new to Paleo/Primal, did my first Whole30 in March 2011. I have read tons of articles, books, websites since. I am 80% primal, 98% gluten free since April 2012, and my main struggle is sugar. I have gained another 20 lbs since November 2011. Finally got tested and am Insulin Resistant 28.1 (top range should be less than 24.9). I feel so lost. I want to try something else. but what to try? I want to heal myself, but just feel the more I read, the more confused I get. Should I go back to the Kruse leptin reset diet? Anyone healed their sensitivity with an easy to understand process? Any advice other than just experiment. I have just experimented myself to nothing for the last 5 years. I need a fix. I am ready for 100% compliance.

Misti is offline Member
    Check out Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He has a very straightfrward plan for conquering insulin resistance/elevated blood glucise, and it's pretty easily compatible with the Blueprint.

I have used it to conrol my diabetes - using no insulin or medications I am now down to an hbA1C of 5.1 from a an hbA1C or 7.8 (using both insulin and medications) before I started exploring Bersteins protocol.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    What exactly was tested to give your result of 28.1? Was it fasting insulin? Have you had fasting glucose or HbA1c tested?

I was insulin resistant in 2008. I was also at my heaviest weight at that time.

Diabetes runs rampant in my family. My father died in 2010, in part, because of diabetes complications. I have 2 sisters, countless aunts, uncles, cousins, that are diabetic. Many more are prediabetic.

Starting in 2009 I decided I had to change. I bought an inexpensive glucose meter ($10) and strips (100 strips/$36) at Walmart. I began "eating to the meter".

I tested fasting BGL, 1 hour after eating (postprandial) and 2 hours after eating. If the meter read higher than "my limit" then the carb food in the meal was off limits. Veggies and berries became my main carb source, with occasional "treats" every few months.

One year later my fasting insulin was 2, fasting glucose was 83, and HbA1c was 4.7. And while weight wasn't my focal point I lost almost 50 lbs.

I just had my annual exam. My doctor refuses to run insulin or HbA1c because my "numbers" have been, in her words, "stellar" the last 2 years. She did give in and agreed to test fasted BGL and it was 82.

I still occasional test postprandial levels. Doing so, keeps me honest.

These links may help:
    Diabetes Update: January 2011
    How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

I had D3 testing and it was a fasting test. I have had my glucose measured, need to pull those results, but it was under the upper limit, but probably headed in the wrong direction.

I am up to 244, went all the way to 250, and I was doing really good last year. I will read about the Bernstein Method. I am sort of freaked out. I have worked so hard on my health for the last few years and it is just a cluster****. You know, I fell like, someone just tell me eat 50g of protein for breakfast, a salad and pierce of meat for lunch, and broccoli or cauliflower with apiece of meat for dinner and I'll just do it. Failure in all my physical and health goals has become the norm. I am ready to be on the right path towards health.

Misti is offline Member
    It sounds to me like you may still be eating somrhting your sensitive to, Kymma. As time has gone on, I have had to eliminate more and more things that should, theoretically, be "OK in moderation". But for me, they're not. Maybe the same for you?
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

I am not consistent. But this has me scared. I don't want to become a diabetic. Maybe this will help lead me to consistency. Now i just have to come up with a plan of action.

Thank you to all of you. I am going to get the glucose meter, follow Dr. Bernstein's guidelines and keep a good attitude.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    I am not consistent. But this has me scared. I don't want to become a diabetic. Maybe this will help lead me to consistency. Now i just have to come up with a plan of action.
    Sounds like marcadav already gave you a plan:

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Starting in 2009 I decided I had to change. I bought an inexpensive glucose meter ($10) and strips (100 strips/$36) at Walmart. I began "eating to the meter".

I tested fasting BGL, 1 hour after eating (postprandial) and 2 hours after eating. If the meter read higher than "my limit" then the carb food in the meal was off limits.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    I had D3 testing and it was a fasting test. I have had my glucose measured, need to pull those results, but it was under the upper limit, but probably headed in the wrong direction.
    I'm confused. How was insulin resistance determined by having D3 tested? Can you give examples of what you eat, including the sugar monsters? Are you exercising?

It may be possible that 50 grams of protein in one meal is too much for you- with some of it being converted to glucose. That glucose needing extra insulin to clear it.

Have you been tested for anemia (low ferritin) or thyroid issues (TSH, free T4, free T3)?

FWIW, I understand the "cluster****. I spent years ill and gaining weight. Weight loss didn't happen for me until my thyroid was optimized and I took weight out of the equation. I had to make health and daily healthy choices my goal/focus.

Lord, I have no idea. You guys are way more educated in all of this testing stuff. hey did Day 3 of my menstrual cycle to test hormones and insulin resistance bc the full panel they did everything was normal.

The more complex I get, the more confused. So I am doing VLC Bernstein style, am talking to the doc about the glucose meter and adding in burst training 3 days a week and 30-45 minute walks 5+ days a week. I think I am on the right track. I know every week will get better if I just keep at it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast