Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden deodorant reaction page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Sudden deodorant reaction

Primal Fuel
    A few days ago my armpits were burning, so I took a look. Sure enough, the area I normally apply deodorant to was red and skin was physically rolling up and peeling off. So I jumped into the shower and rinsed myself clean. That was the last product I'd been using. I'm not surprised, I knew it was iffy stuff (Arm and hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant, contains Dipropylene Glycol, propylene glycol, TRICLOSAN?!, and a few others I have never seen before.) I'm now soap, shampoo, and deodorant free. Aside from the trace of gel that might come in a new razorblade, traces of hippy laundry soap, and hand sanitizer at work, nothing much else gets on my skin anymore. But my pits STILL STINK! Does coconut oil really work? What about that goofy rock thing? I work point blank with hospital patients and am REQUIRED to not stink. Help quick!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I've heard the stone thing works really well for some, but not others. A recipe I've seen for deodorant - 1 part coconut oil, 1 part corn starch and one part lavendar oil. Lavendar oil is really strong, so I bet that would kill any offensive smell. Also, I bet you could try other essential oils for a different (more manly) scent. Good luck!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't know about coconut oil, but i have used the deodorizing crystal before. it's decent for removing odor, but it won't keep you from stinking...that has more to do with sweat, bacteria and toxins. i notice that i get stinky when i sweat...sometimes. sometimes i'll be on a run or doing a full on metcon workout and i don't smell a thing, and sometimes i can clear a room. i can also be at work, sitting at my desk, sweat just a teeny bit and reek like a garbage can in hell. i've been trying to lock down some sort of pattern of cause, but i can't. one thing i have noticed, is just getting a little air in there helps the smell go away temporarily. so, maybe between patients you should just walk down the halls with your arms up like you just won a race.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium chloride salts dissolved in hot water (about 50/50 for a strong solution) and put in a spray bottle works for me & hubby. also good for magnesium supplementing
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

i don't know about coconut oil, but i have used the deodorizing crystal before. it's decent for removing odor, but it won't keep you from stinking...that has more to do with sweat, bacteria and toxins. i notice that i get stinky when i sweat...sometimes. sometimes i'll be on a run or doing a full on metcon workout and i don't smell a thing, and sometimes i can clear a room. i can also be at work, sitting at my desk, sweat just a teeny bit and reek like a garbage can in hell. i've been trying to lock down some sort of pattern of cause, but i can't. one thing i have noticed, is just getting a little air in there helps the smell go away temporarily. so, maybe between patients you should just walk down the halls with your arms up like you just won a race.
    Same here. Sometimes I don't stink at all even though I should. Maybe I'll log my food until I figure out if it's related. The air trick works a little, but really only delays the inevitable onset of my transformation from respectable employee to catfish bait.

I've heard the stone thing works really well for some, but not others. A recipe I've seen for deodorant - 1 part coconut oil, 1 part corn starch and one part lavendar oil. Lavendar oil is really strong, so I bet that would kill any offensive smell. Also, I bet you could try other essential oils for a different (more manly) scent. Good luck!
    I guess I can try it. I'm seeing beeswax in some recipes, which I read will stain my clothes. So maybe just the coconut oil and a weak scented oil if anything. The cornstarch is probably just to make it more sturdy, help keep it from running away, I suspect?

Magnesium chloride salts dissolved in hot water (about 50/50 for a strong solution) and put in a spray bottle works for me & hubby. also good for magnesium supplementing
    Does this work by raising the pH and making it an inhospitable place for bacteria?

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Coconut oil and baking soda.

But I use a deodorizing stone. It doesn't last the full 24 hours as advertised, only about 12, but that's all I really need it for. I apply it right after showering and it works well enough for me. It does sting after shaving though, if you've nicked yourself at all.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

But I use a deodorizing stone. It doesn't last the full 24 hours as advertised, only about 12, but that's all I really need it for. I apply it right after showering and it works well enough for me. It does sting after shaving though, if you've nicked yourself at all.
    If baking soda gives me dandruff, which it does, I'd expect it to bother my pits, too. But I won't know unless I try.

Okay, for today I'm going to glop on a small amount of coconut oil and go chop some wood to see if it holds up.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post

This.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I use a deodorant crystal broken up into small pieces in water. Works pretty well, but I don't have a particularly strong odor, although that may be due to never having been a big user of deodorant. I have a hunch that armpit flora can get out of whack like gut flora, so heavy deo use can make you need more. That's my theory, anyhow.

Oceana is offline Junior Member
    Use food grade hydrogen peroxide on a water moistened cotton ball - this will get rid of the bacteria. It won't stop the perspiration though...for that, wet your finger and then dip into a small container of baking soda and then apply that to your underarms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast