Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden deodorant reaction page 2

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    rock crystal
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I use the crystal stone thingy too, and it works pretty well, but I've noticed carbs have an affect on my smell. When I go very low carb and into deep ketosis, I smell awful, even if I'm not doing anything. I could just sit in my office, and if I get hot, I stink. However, when I add carbs back in, enough to come slightly out of ketosis, it takes quite a bit more work to start stinking again.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Just use straight dry baking soda on freshly showered pits. My hubby has been a convert to this and he used to stink and sweat up a storm---but no more!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I use that goofy rock thing, and it works, but I'm not a particularly stinky person (but then again, nobody ever thinks they smell bad). I go to the gym and do my cardio with just the rock thing and even dripping with sweat, people still stand next to me to chat, so I assume it works. It does sting when I apply it to freshly shaven pits, though.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I've mentioned Milk of Magnesium before, and I don't think people believe me. Really, I live in Florida, I ain't jokin'

This guy does it too! Milk of Magnesia: My New Natural Deodorant

My husband has found that regular deodorant makes his underarms break out in a rash and he gets hard lumps deep beneath the skin. So, while deodorant companies may say that their products don't enter the body to do bad things, I don't believe them.

Way I see it, there are a few good options. Baking soda. Magnesium. Cornstarch. Coconut Oil. Rock.

Which you want to apply and how is up to you. My husband refuses to believe "homemade" things, so I use Milk of Magnesium in a spray bottle, and he uses an expensive rock-crystal-in-a-spray-bottle-with-a-scent-of-the-Alps that I bought at Whole Foods.

Find what works for you best.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    expensive? i got mine at walmart for under 2$

hmm
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    expensive? i got mine at walmart for under 2$

hmm
    Spray-on scented rock crystal?

I think the stuff I bought at WF was around $4-5. "Expensive" compared to my Equate MM which lasts for months and months...

Lowcarb4me is offline Junior Member
    I found this last month on Crunchy Betty's blog, and since I was hating every natural deodorant I used since going off "Secret" and "Sure", I decided it was worth the effort. I tell you...I DO stink big time when I don't use deodorant but this recipe totally works - even better than store bought. I'm flat out amazed.

"Not a Secret Homemade Deodorant"

1-1/2 Tbsp grated beeswax or beeswax beads
    4 Tbsp coconut oil
    1 Tbsp shea butter
    4 tsp clay (bentonite or other)
    20-25 drops essential oil (tea tree, rosemary, lavender, lemon, bergamot, or a mixture of any listed)
    Empty, clean, sterilized deodorant container

Melt the beeswax and coconut oil on very low heat, whisking often. Once melted, add in the shea butter and whisk a few times, then remove from the heat and continue melting. After that’s melted and you have a liquid, sprinkle in the clay and continue to whisk well until everything is combined. Drop in the essential oil, whisking still. Place the pan into a cool water bath, and leave for 5 minutes or until it just begins to set up. Spoon the mixture into your deodorant container and place it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes (or until completely hard). If, for some reason, it starts to get too soft on a hot day, just put it back in the freezer for a while.

Just to give you my tweaks, I doubled the basic recipe, I used French Rose Clay, and I used an essential oil combo of lavender, sweet orange, lemongrass, tea tree and rosemary. You may not have that many EOs laying around your house (I'm a soapmaker so I have tons) PLUS I added about 1/4 cup of baking soda and 4 heaping tablespoons of cornstarch (you can sub arrowroot powder) because it seemed too melty/oily at first.

Honestly, this stuff lasts me 2 full days per application. To get rid of the slightly greasy underarm feeling I dust with some powder after applying it. I'm so happy with this recipe I'm thinking of making it to sell :-)

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I use the rock crystal and it works just fine for me. If it's not enough to control odor, you may have an imbalance you need to address in your diet.
    I post my general diet frequently. It's high-fat, high-protein paleo with starchy carb cycles tossed in here and there, with a little cheat every two weeks - usually free pizza or ice cream in small quantities. And, as of the past month, kerrygold swiss cheese...and fewer avocados. What sort of imbalance would make me stinky?

found this last month on Crunchy Betty's blog, and since I was hating every natural deodorant I used since going off "Secret" and "Sure", I decided it was worth the effort. I tell you...I DO stink big time when I don't use deodorant but this recipe totally works - even better than store bought. I'm flat out amazed.

"Not a Secret Homemade Deodorant"

1-1/2 Tbsp grated beeswax or beeswax beads
    4 Tbsp coconut oil
    1 Tbsp shea butter
    4 tsp clay (bentonite or other)
    20-25 drops essential oil (tea tree, rosemary, lavender, lemon, bergamot, or a mixture of any listed)
    Empty, clean, sterilized deodorant container

Melt the beeswax and coconut oil on very low heat, whisking often. Once melted, add in the shea butter and whisk a few times, then remove from the heat and continue melting. After that’s melted and you have a liquid, sprinkle in the clay and continue to whisk well until everything is combined. Drop in the essential oil, whisking still. Place the pan into a cool water bath, and leave for 5 minutes or until it just begins to set up. Spoon the mixture into your deodorant container and place it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes (or until completely hard). If, for some reason, it starts to get too soft on a hot day, just put it back in the freezer for a while.

Just to give you my tweaks, I doubled the basic recipe, I used French Rose Clay, and I used an essential oil combo of lavender, sweet orange, lemongrass, tea tree and rosemary. You may not have that many EOs laying around your house (I'm a soapmaker so I have tons) PLUS I added about 1/4 cup of baking soda and 4 heaping tablespoons of cornstarch (you can sub arrowroot powder) because it seemed too melty/oily at first.

Honestly, this stuff lasts me 2 full days per application. To get rid of the slightly greasy underarm feeling I dust with some powder after applying it. I'm so happy with this recipe I'm thinking of making it to sell :-)
    I'll try this, if coconut oil and the salt rock don't work, without the beeswax if possible.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Baba is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use Nigella oil. It seems to ward off bacteria, as it also helps with rashes and razor burn. Probably not the most effective deodorant, but even the rock stuff bothers me after a few days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast