Thread: Affect of a single saturated fat meal on arteries page

NigelBailey is offline Junior Member

Affect of a single saturated fat meal on arteries

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

spotted this article today and would be interested in other people's thoughts. It appears to compare Mediterranean (high poly and mono unsats) with saturated fat and demonstrates significant reduction in artery function. Don't know the details of the study in particular the nature of the meals consumed, so it could be that the 'junk food' meal contains lots of grains in addition to the sat fat, but would be interested in your thoughts...

Regards
    Nigel

Philmont Scott is offline Junior Member
    It doesn't say what the junk food meal was, but the purpose of the study purports to be understanding the difference between a Mediterranean diet vs. a "junk food diet".

I don't think very many people, even here, would disagree with the premise that a whole foods Mediterranean diet is better for you than junk food.

The error seems to be in the way that the reporting assigns blame for the junk food meal to saturated fat. I see no indication that they controlled for that variable.

johnblumberg is offline Junior Member
    Science Daily has a more detailed summary of the study. The Mediterranean-type meal was composed of salmon, almonds, and vegetables cooked in olive oil, of which 51% of total calories came from fat (mostly monounsaturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fats.) The "Junk-food" meal consisted of a sandwich made of a sausage, an egg, and a slice of cheese, and three hash browns, for a total of 58% of total calories from fat: extremely rich in saturated fatty acids and containing no omega-3s.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelBailey View Post
    ... would be interested in your thoughts...
    The study strikes me as being rather like one of those "when did you stop beating your wife?" questions.

I've nothing against the Mediterranean Diet (although I'd tend to prefer what they actually eat in the Med over what's often passed off to the public as "Mediterranean" by low-fat fanatics.) I think it's a fine way to eat. And actually I'd prefer the salmon, almonds and vegetables cooked in olive oil over the sandwich plus hash browns.

And I've certainly never said that omega 3s don't matter. In fact, I've frequently emphasized their importance here.

Heck, I'll do it again. Here's an excellent video on the matter from an expert:

But why is "saturated fat" being set up as the fall guy? The fact that it is is why I say this is like a "when did you stop beating your wife?" question. If we're worried about omega 3s -- and we should be -- oughtn't we to be concerned at all the industrial seed oils that are high in omega 6s and that are displacing omega 3 rich foods from the diet? Now that's what you get if you eat "junk food".

You're in Cambridge, Nigel. If you went down the fish and chip shop what would the food you buy have been cooked in? Industrial seed oil -- probably rapeseed oil in the UK. That's a huge problem. It's not even mentioned here. It's like some kind of three-card trick.

Is it too politically embarrassing to raise that problem or what?

My feeling overall? I'd choose the salmon and vegetables over the sandwich and hash browns. I eat a lot of seafood; I use quite a lot of olive oil. I also eat plenty of vegetables and a little fruit. I supplement with a little naturally fermented cod liver oil now and then, too: I'm not blasť about omega 3s.

Would I worry about also eating food such as a free range egg, a good quality all-meat sausage from an outdoor reared pig, or a piece of good quality goat's or ewe's milk cheese? No, I wouldn't.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    that mediterranean meal sounds awfully primal to me... are we indicting the junk food and praising the mediterranean food for the wrong reasons in this study? (hint - yes!)

NigelBailey is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies guys - kind of confirms my initial thoughts - it was the nature of the junk food (rancid oils, grains, probably sugar) that is likely the culprit here, not sat fat per se. Also agree the Mediterranean diet as used in this study is pretty primal, so really a win-win!

To answer your question Lewis, I cycle past the chip shop on the way to work each day and the smell is sufficient to ensure I wouldn't buy anything cooked anywhere near the place

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelbailey View Post
    to answer your question lewis, i cycle past the chip shop on the way to work each day and the smell is sufficient to ensure i wouldn't buy anything cooked anywhere near the place :d
    rotfl

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    it is pretty primal but very high in nightshades, so not great if you have thyroid or autoimmune issues.