Thread: Primal Powerlifting, getting enough food, etc. page

2tall is offline Member

Primal Powerlifting, getting enough food, etc.

Shop Now
    Currently I'm doing Jamie Lewis' Destroy the Opposition beginners program, with intentions to move on to the deadlifting program. It's a 5 day strength training routine (I know I know, lift heavy things once a week, but this is what I want to do - be a strength athlete.)

I'm still VERY much a beginner after having to restart a few times due to a back injury, which is mostly healed now.
    I went from a 155 to 225 1rm squat in about 2 months, so my progress feels steady, but a tad slow. Today's workout will be 4 sets of 6 reps @ 195.

So far my recovery has been pretty much just OK, but I've been eating outside the specs to try and get enough calories in to support growth.

here's an outline of what I'm currently doing: (I"m not looking to change anything in the program, this is here for reference.)

Monday and Saturday:
    4s 6r squat
    4s 6r bench
    3s 10r military press (light)
    2s 10r misc. tricep work

Tuesday and Friday:
    4s 6r pendlay row
    3s 10r chin ups (assisted)
    3s 10r accessory (wrist curls, shrugs, lolbicep curls, depending on my mood.)
    3s 10r calf raises

Thursday:
    4s 6r Deadlifts
    3s 6r Military Press (heavy)
    3s 10r dips

Right now I'm eating a LOT of dairy. 1-2lbs of cottage cheese, lots of milk.
    Getting some eggs in, but I can't stand eating a lot of them.
    Money is a bit of an issue at the moment, because after having grass-fed steak, I can't stand the cheap stuff anymore.

I'm also doing 5:2, which seems to be helping keep my digestive system intact (I have ibs.) 3300-3800 calories 5 days, 600 2 days.
    Last edited by 2tall; 10-30-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    It's better to have slow but steady progress - you're putting strength in the bank. Try to rush it, and you'll stall early and often.

No reason to "eat outside the specs" to support recovery - i'm training for pure strength too, and everything I shove in my face is primal. Don't screw yourself.

2tall is offline Member
    What kind of stuff are you eating to get the calories in?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    What kind of stuff are you eating to get the calories in?
    I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I'll add my two cents since I'm currently lifting hard and trying to add some muscle.

I eat LOTS of meat (at least a pound a day) and LOTS of potatoes and sweet potatoes (well over a pound) on training days. I also eat bananas, raisins, and raw milk. Dairy is technically OK on Primal if you don't have any issues with it.

gated312 is offline Member
    Kind of a side note, that doesn't have quite so much to do with nutrition. But if you're finding recovery is just going OK, try cold thermogenesis (ie showering/bathing in cold water). I'm not on a regimen as heavy as you, but have started to do this post workout and it really does help with keeping down soreness, inflammation, and just general recovery time.

BrentK is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I'll add my two cents since I'm currently lifting hard and trying to add some muscle.

I eat LOTS of meat (at least a pound a day) and LOTS of potatoes and sweet potatoes (well over a pound) on training days. I also eat bananas, raisins, and raw milk. Dairy is technically OK on Primal if you don't have any issues with it.
    A pound of meat and a pound of sweet potatoes is a single post workout meal for me. I'm 180 pounds
    at 11% bodyfat just for reference.

Don't be afraid to eat upwards of 1.5 times your lean body weight in protein a day. Paleo starches like sweet potatoes and different squash like pumpkin or butternut squash are helpful with recovery. I also eat oatmeal and rice. White rice is something like 99.4% starch. Not a lot of room for other stuff there. Try to find unbleached though if you're concerned about it.

Also, try taking in some foods that have medium-chain triglycerides. The fat from a coconut is roughly 66% MCT. These fats are easily absorbed and punched out into testosterone for a faster recovery. But don't use that as an excuse to drink a whole can of coconut milk a day, unless you really want the 700 calories extra, don't mind having a bit of belly and being able to deadlift a Hummer.

BrentK is offline Junior Member
    Might have to check on those statements about the rice and MCT. It's been a minute since I looked at any articles for them.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post

Pretty much the bulk of my diet as well. I also eat white rice. I did find that about 3 days after I stop pounding down the calories my lifts stall. Literally all of my lifts stalled in the same week. Just not enough calories to support the gains.

I don't know about the 600 kcal days, I would say to eat the same throughout the week. If it works sure, but if not try eating big throughout the week.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%