Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK chronic cardio. How much IS too much/ page 2

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    At a hotel, hitting their gym each morning...

People watching is fun. The gym door opens and they invariably walk right to the treadmill, cycle machine or elliptical.

Then they sit there forever, looking low energy, doing some incredibly moderate cardio while watching TV, reading the newspaper, or playing with their phone.

That does *NOTHING*.

Only one guy in two weeks hit the weights with me, dude was also the only person without a zombie-like expression on his face.
    I think you're describing me. I'm pretty sure that I have a zombie-like expression whenever I'm on the treadmill or out running or lifting weights or at Crossfit. Well, I'm more likely to smile at CF due to the fact that I'm interacting with others. When working out alone, zombie it is! But I do love my runs, even on the treadmill and even if I don't look like I'm enjoying it. (I'm just one of those people who always looks like they have the most unenjoyable life ever--one of my friends actually described me that way once! Heh!)

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I prefer calling it running. If it feels like fun and not over exerting, you are fine. It's good for your cardio vascular health.

CrossFit can become addictive (from what I've heard and read) and chronic overstress on the body. And yet no one in the Paleo/Primal community ever bashes CF.
    Oh, some people bash CF plenty.

Techie is offline Member
    Everyday Paleo and Eplifefit (author of Paleo Coach) bash it every week on their podcast.

You can get all the cardiovascular VO2 fitness from just 10-20 minutes of full out sprints per week.

Anything else is oxidative to the body.

The above coupled with lifting heavy twice a week and lots of walking are all we need.

Excuse me for any typos and sarcastic remarks, sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
    Hotel gyms are depressing, I agree 100%.
    In these people's defense, they could have been jet-lagged, I guess. But they just looked like they were marching to their death, woo hoo cardio at 5am!

Erik W is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    At a hotel, hitting their gym each morning...

People watching is fun. The gym door opens and they invariably walk right to the treadmill, cycle machine or elliptical.

Then they sit there forever, looking low energy, doing some incredibly moderate cardio while watching TV, reading the newspaper, or playing with their phone.

That does *NOTHING*.

Only one guy in two weeks hit the weights with me, dude was also the only person without a zombie-like expression on his face.
    Yes, there is a big bathhouse with a gym where I live. You look from the swim area through the big windows to the gym, and all you see is people on those exercise bikes lined up against the window, looking out at you.

Not only do they have to buy an expensive monthly card for bathhouse access, they also pay extra for the gym. Why not just stay in the enormous bathhouse with its great swimming pools of all kinds and sizes? Do some laps, then sit in the bubble pool, then do some more laps, then go sit in the sauna.

No, they have to feel the sweat, so they stay on their exercise bikes. Very few people use the other machines. Amazing. Just buy a bike and put in your house then, for God's sake. Or maybe actually use a real bike, we have great country roads where you can see horses and sheep and water. But no. They have to sit staring out that window. Much like the sheep stare at you when you ride down the country road.

And THAT's chronic cardio.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Cardio may be labeled as "chronic" if it turns into an OCD routine that hampers general recovery, catabolizing lean body tissue, reduces strength and makes you feel crappy etc. It's individual how much cardio people can take due to overall lifestyle, age, training background etc., but I enjoy doing an hour of mixed cardio in the morning, depending on how I feel...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12