Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surviving A High Carb Holiday? page

Chorlton is offline Senior Member

Surviving A High Carb Holiday?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

What is your experience of temporarily going back to grains?

I am about to go on a meditation retreat for 10 days and and have not done one of these since going Primal. The food is old school vegetarian -- Rice+Chickpeas for breakfast, then vegetarian food like quiche, pizza, pasta etc sometimes heavy on dairy and eggs (yay!) for lunch.

There is no dinner. It's a 5hr eating window for old students.

So, my questions are....

• If I eat the rice/chickpea dish for breakfast then try to stay clear of the bread/pastry at lunch but basically do the best I can. What can I expect?
    • Will I feel sick? Tired? Upset stomach?
    • Should I take my own paleo musli and have it with yogurt instead, then load up on coconut fat at lunch + whatever else I can scavenge from the buffet?

Basically looking for some advice! Its taken me ages to get over carb flu, and Im not keen to regress...

thanks

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    10 days sounds like a long time...but it obviously won't kill you. If you do react to gluten grains that might be more of the issue and what you need to avoid, if possible.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I hesitate to predict how you'll feel going back on grains again. Some people are more sensitive to grains than others and going paleo will definitely bring out issues of gluten sensitivity if you have one. Others will feel perfectly fine going back on grains. You won't know until you do it, honestly.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Ah, going to have to just try maybe..

Well I can avoid gluten mostly. It'll be rice i wont avoid unless I try to take my own food!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You could bring your own food in, nuts, pemmican, nutrient-dense foods that will keep well and sustain you for the length of your stay. Pretend you're packing for a camping trip.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I'd avoid anything with wheat in it or do a test run just in case it makes you physically ill and not just bloated a bit!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    So you will be doing basically a 5 hour eating window, so this sounds like intermittent fasting, like the "Fast 5". I think you will be fine. Enjoy the rice and lentils and chickpeas and all the veggies and fruit. You'll probably fart a lot but I don't think it'll hurt you otherwise.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Thanks sbhikes and everyone,

that sounds like the best strategy. If I take my own food Im just giving myself a bunch of stuff to fret over instead of getting on with the work. I'll start eating a little rice in the next couple of days to lead up to it and avoid the pasta / bread if at all possible.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I will not have a choice about this myself, come Christmas time. Out of 25 folks I am the ONLY one who eats a primal diet and I can only imagine that is not about to change before then. My family is inundated with CW propaganda.

So much so that my grandfather has sent out several "alert" measures, urging us to go on statins as a preventative measure if our cholesterol gets above 180. A PREVENTATIVE measure. Statins being taken casually like that is a pretty f*cking scary thought!

But yeah, that's just to show you the extent of my family's indoctrination. It's pretty bad. And being the ONLY person who does NOT eat a CW diet in my family out of 25 people... I'm just going to have to suck it up. I am resigned to that fact. *sigh*

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    By the way, I expect at LEAST one lasagna meal complete with wheat noodles and bread. Guess I'm eating plain, undressed salad that night (because the dressing will be made with crap oil)!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast