Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surviving A High Carb Holiday? page 3

Caveman_Sam is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I was totally primal for a year then gave it all up for a bout of shameless pizza and krispy kremes

I've never felt better. But the hunger spikes after going back to non primal are horrendous.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Does your family do a turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, yams?? Those are all things that you could have that would probably be the best options.....Yes, I'm sure they might be made with an oil you don't want or sugar on the yams, etc, but all that is probably better than eating a bunch of breads and pastas. I'm going to be in the same boat with our family get togethers. I plan to have the meats, probably some mashed taters and greenbean casserole.
    We do the traditional holiday meal, yes. But that's ONE night out of six that I will be with family. They always, ALWAYS do the pasta meal one night (which is ONLY bread, pasta, and salad), deserts EVERY night, ect. Having an option for one night is great, but solving for six meals with a family like mine is not possible. And no, I am not going to pack six meals worth of bacon and jerky and live off of that.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    We do the traditional holiday meal, yes. But that's ONE night out of six that I will be with family. They always, ALWAYS do the pasta meal one night (which is ONLY bread, pasta, and salad), deserts EVERY night, ect. Having an option for one night is great, but solving for six meals with a family like mine is not possible. And no, I am not going to pack six meals worth of bacon and jerky and live off of that.
    Lol!!! Trust me, I wouldn't do that either. I guess you'll just have to do the best you can. Maybe you can consider it a six day vacation from being Primal.....eat all the delicious foods and desserts that you wouldn't normally partake of, just make sure to get right back on track after the holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Lol!!! Trust me, I wouldn't do that either. I guess you'll just have to do the best you can. Maybe you can consider it a six day vacation from being Primal.....eat all the delicious foods and desserts that you wouldn't normally partake of, just make sure to get right back on track after the holiday.
    That's probably what I will have to do. Although getting back on track is going to be HAAAAAARD! Ugh.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    That sounds horrible. Makes me glad that in my culture, we don't do the holiday thing so I have never had a thanksgiving or Christmas dinner my whole life. If its something u don't want to eat, no anount of shame and pressure and guilt-tripping will make me eat it. I've say through Chinese wedding buffets without eating a bite and my family doesn't care lol.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    That sounds horrible. Makes me glad that in my culture, we don't do the holiday thing so I have never had a thanksgiving or Christmas dinner my whole life. If its something u don't want to eat, no anount of shame and pressure and guilt-tripping will make me eat it. I've say through Chinese wedding buffets without eating a bite and my family doesn't care lol.
    For me it's less about myself than it is my family. I don't care what they think about me, but I don't want to cause tension around the dinner table when my whole family is eating and whatching me sit there. When they "know" I don't need a "special" meal. It would just cause tension and ruin everyone else's good time and I don't want to do that.

Misti is offline Member
    Drumroll, I don't know your family, so I don't claim this will work for you -- but I often find that I can eat as much or as little as I want to of anything as long as I keep my mouth shut. I have even been known to say "Oh yes, that was DELICIOUS!" when asked if I'd tried something I didn't want to eat. People in my experienmce are not usually actually apying attention to what other people eat as long as no one brings it up and as long as folks are eating *something*. That will still be rough on pasta night...but maybe you can supply BAS for everyone and then mostly eat that?
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Might be worthwhile to have your own private sign printed at a printing house: "Occupied" Then you'll be able to reserve a toilet for your own personal use. If you've been off wheat for a while, it may be that your system is going to rebel....and when it does, having an "occupied" sign is going to be your relief. ;-)
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    Drumroll, I don't know your family, so I don't claim this will work for you -- but I often find that I can eat as much or as little as I want to of anything as long as I keep my mouth shut. I have even been known to say "Oh yes, that was DELICIOUS!" when asked if I'd tried something I didn't want to eat. People in my experienmce are not usually actually apying attention to what other people eat as long as no one brings it up and as long as folks are eating *something*. That will still be rough on pasta night...but maybe you can supply BAS for everyone and then mostly eat that?
    Yeah, when they see a completely untouched plate they will immediately assume that I thought the meal was inadequate. Heh. They do tend to take it personally when you don't eat what they serve. *sigh*

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    I guess I am incredibly lucky that the only two bad Thanksgiving foods at my mother's are the soybean oil based dressing in the marinated veggies and the homemade sourdough based sage stuffing. Otherwise my grandmother does all she can to get as much turkey, butter, and plain baked sweet potatoes in us as possible. Our holiday meals are always mostly primal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123