Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surviving A High Carb Holiday? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Think of this as a demonstration to you on how living low carb has restored some metabolic flexibility. You may just find that the long period of time each day without food gives you a period of ketosis, and then the period of eating starchy stuff doesn't hurt you at all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Think of this as a demonstration to you on how living low carb has restored some metabolic flexibility. You may just find that the long period of time each day without food gives you a period of ketosis, and then the period of eating starchy stuff doesn't hurt you at all.
    I'll make exceptions for rice, potatoes, and the like, but not wheat, which my family consumes by the truckload. =\

I fully expect to gain some weight this Christmas and will have to plow it off again in the new year. Ah, fun stuff. But at least I won't let gluten make me feel like crapolla this holiday season.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I've eaten grains and other crap foods at times based on the situation, didn't have any negative reaction worth noting other than a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not gonna look at my niece and refuse a slice of the cake she baked for my birthday because "NOT PRIMAL!".

Of course, how it'll effect different people will vary widely on a lot of things, but a crap meal here and there wont destroy you and nobody will show up to your door wearing animal skins to revoke your primal card.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    You may find the side effects less unpleasant if you gear yourself up for the trip. Start eating some of those foods the week beforehand. My friend did this for her wedding and it was a lot easier for her to get through some of the less primal foods, including cake and booze.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Chorlton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    When I've been on these retreats before I can tell you that after about day 3 all my aches and pains disappear and I start to feel pleasantly "light" inside. This is not the meditation (or not only at least). Last few times I think I could "feel" ketosis as a kind of not-unpleasant emptiness around the solar plexus and a kind of raw energy in the body. It may be my imagination..

I rather suspect you will turn out to be right sbhikes. I hope so, I could do with the boost to fat loss and autophagy

Drumroll, you may just have to pass on dessert. Not to big a crime in your family I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Chorlton View Post
    Drumroll, you may just have to pass on dessert. Not to big a crime in your family I hope!
    Uh, desert is next to Godliness in my family.

Seriously.

The one who brings the desert invariably receives more praise than the one who brings the turkey and I'm being totally serious. Saying no is pretty much a sin in my family circle. You don't say no to food that others have made for you because it's seen as rude and ungrateful to their efforts.

In a family that revolves around food as much as mine does, the culture is "you eat what you are given, when you are given it, and you don't ever say no." Food is like a sacred crutch in my family.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Uh, desert is next to Godliness in my family.

Seriously.

The one who brings the desert invariably receives more praise than the one who brings the turkey and I'm being totally serious. Saying no is pretty much a sin in my family circle. You don't say no to food that others have made for you because it's seen as rude and ungrateful to their efforts.

In a family that revolves around food as much as mine does, the culture is "you eat what you are given, when you are given it, and you don't ever say no." Food is like a sacred crutch in my family.
    Same with mine. If someone spent 6 hours preparing something, you better eat at least a serving of it or you're an ungrateful douche. My cousin went veggie for a while, and while she was sitting there dipping veggies into ranch dressing, my uncle stood right over her with a comically large turkey leg asking her how her "rabbit diet" was going. My uncle rules haha.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    Same with mine. If someone spent 6 hours preparing something, you better eat at least a serving of it or you're an ungrateful douche. My cousin went veggie for a while, and while she was sitting there dipping veggies into ranch dressing, my uncle stood right over her with a comically large turkey leg asking her how her "rabbit diet" was going. My uncle rules haha.
    If I had a legit medical condition, they MIGHT understand. But I can't fake one either, because they know that I have eaten SAD diet fine for years. If I had any true issues it would be apparent by now, so no pulling a fast one over on them.

But yeah. food is basically my family's entire culture. When we get together, it seems that the main activities are centered around mealtime and making alterations to that is seen as a breaking of the family bond and sacred cow. I'd be looked upon with the utmost disdain and cause lots of family tension. I'd get the typical "oh, boo hoo, you won't eat X, suck it up for the family" response, so I have resigned myself to eating like crap to keep my impact on causing any family drama to a minimum.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I will not have a choice about this myself, come Christmas time. Out of 25 folks I am the ONLY one who eats a primal diet and I can only imagine that is not about to change before then. My family is inundated with CW propaganda.

So much so that my grandfather has sent out several "alert" measures, urging us to go on statins as a preventative measure if our cholesterol gets above 180. A PREVENTATIVE measure. Statins being taken casually like that is a pretty f*cking scary thought!

But yeah, that's just to show you the extent of my family's indoctrination. It's pretty bad. And being the ONLY person who does NOT eat a CW diet in my family out of 25 people... I'm just going to have to suck it up. I am resigned to that fact. *sigh*
    Does your family do a turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, yams?? Those are all things that you could have that would probably be the best options.....Yes, I'm sure they might be made with an oil you don't want or sugar on the yams, etc, but all that is probably better than eating a bunch of breads and pastas. I'm going to be in the same boat with our family get togethers. I plan to have the meats, probably some mashed taters and greenbean casserole.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You all should start hosting Thanksgiving---then you can have more control of quality and type of foods being served! It IS a huge amount of effort to put on a spread for a large family gathering!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast