Thread: Quotation from Zen Habits page

Lorena is offline Junior Member

Quotation from Zen Habits

Primal Fuel
    I really like a lot of what Leo at Zen Habits has to say, but really disagree with his veganism, and moreover, his arguments for veganism. His post today reads,

"Just because an idea is different, donít just accept it. Look at the bulk of the evidence, and learn to spot flaws in reasoning. For example, there is a school of people who believe that soy is bad for you, saturated fat (animal fat) is good for you, we should all drink raw milk, slather butter on everything (the Weston A. Price Foundation). This is different than mainstream science, but itís wrong. The bulk of the evidence is against what they believe, and their reasoning is wrong."

Shouldn't he be applying this advice to spot the flaws in his own reasoning?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the statement is inherently contradictory.

The real disingenuous aspect, to me at least, is to assert that the science is wrong, as if science is the reason behind his choices to be vegan. I suspect (but do not know), that it is his striving for minimalism that is behind it. It is currently very fashionable within the community.

In my own path as a vegan, I do not know what the drive was. I think part of it was just an overall sense of it's rightness within me, until I couldn't deny it's negative affect on my health. I also really enjoyed the simplicity of the diet (i was a whole foods, soy-free vegan). Thus, I never asserted it as the best diet, the healthiest, or the one true way. I just felt that it was right for me, until it wasn't.

In terms of minimalism (or zen for that matter), veganism is not absolute. I still practice minimalism and simplicity, and the diet that we have reaches these basics. We eat seasonally; we eat simple, whole foods. We choose from farms that practice good farming and husbandry techniques. We simply recognize that our own need for meat for our own health is real (even if others would assert otherwise), and as such, we choose accordingly.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Wow, holy-lack-of-applying-your-own-logic Batman!

Buddha also said not to agree with anything, no matter who said it, unless it agrees with your own sense of logic and reasoning.

I don't know, but meat and fat are the most nourishing foods one can eat - unless you've convinced yourself otherwise. To me, it makes sense to nourish one's body the absolute best we can. I don't think vegetarianism, even when heavily supplemented, can provide that.

I agree with zoebird: we eat simply, we choose whole foods, we choose our protein from humane sources. We make educated choices. That's the best we Primal-ites/Paleo nerds can do
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.