Thread: Canned Pears? page

Kochin is offline Senior Member

Canned Pears?

Shop Now
    OK, Tesco's canned pears seem OK as an occassional thing. They're 15p a tin, taste fine (SLIGHTLY too sweet) and are yet to cause trouble, but I wanted to get some secondary criticism on them.

This is their profile:

Ingredients: pear, pear juice from concentrate, citric acid, calcium chloride.

Weight tin: 410g
    Weight dry: 225g

100g:
    38kcal
    8.5g sugar
    trace salt

Am wondering, however, if they're boiled or whether the soaking has just made them a bit softer than normal for pears. If this is the case, how would it affect sugar processing?

I'm female, 19yo, not looking to lose fat, looking to gain muscle but not urgently, semi-active (lots of walking and carrying heavy stuff!), eat no grain or legumes, but do eat starchy veg (moderation's gone out the window with starchy veg at the moment, as I'm eating seasonally and tubers and the pumpkin family are ubiquitous!), eat no refined sugar that I know of, either.

Was just wondering if they're OK as a cheap source of non-perishable emergency fruit or if there may be any problems with them. I don't usually eat fruit or veg out a can, besides tomato puree!

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I avoid most of the juice it comes in, BTW! Just have a few sips whilst eating/cooking and then pour the rest (1/2 to 2/3 of it) away.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    As an emergency food, honestly, I think anything is fine. The point of an emergency food is that it sustains you.

But, you could can these yourself. Home jarred peaches are absolutely divine, and require very little added sugar.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    They are fine for occasional consumption if you're not avoiding fruit for any reason. Nothing to fear here.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

thompsanne is offline Junior Member
    The point of an emergency food is that it sustains you