Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where do you buy your pork? page 3

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Hey Choco, was that pastured pork?

I've toured factory hog operations..... I think the extra you pay for pastured pork is money well spent if chemicals and hormones in meats bother you. It's a giant chemistry experiment, some of those places. I don't think anything (except maybe chickens) is as unnatural as how they raise pigs.
    No, it's not pastured pork. It's minimally processed "all natural" pork. I don't have access to pastured pork and don't really care to look, honestly. I don't like fatty cuts of meat and strongly prefer lean meat, and since the toxins build up mostly in the fat, it doesn't concern me very much.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If I want pastured pork the only local place is the farmer's market. I haven't yet purchased any. I believe you can order it from US Wellness meats now. I do like Chaco does and either purchase it from a small local grocery that has real butchers (probably not pastured) or from Trader Joe's (have no idea if it's pastured or what.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I can almost assure you that the Trader Joe's pork will not be pasture-raised stuff. Your local butcher probably not either, although you can certainly ask them to make sure.

Hell, I saw you guys talking about grass-fed beef from Trader Joe's, and my local Joe's does not have that. Those that do are pretty lucky.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I get mine here............ Pork
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-30-2012 at 01:21 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm not that fussy whether the meat is grassfed or pastured every single time. I do what I can. Stressing over the details is not that important to me. When I want a really rich fatty cut of pork, a trip to Whole Foods is in order. It's actually not that expensive. But if I'm at Trader Joe's and they've got pork chops, I can usually convince my boyfriend to toss them in the cart and then yay, we get pork chops and I didn't have to pay for them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Well, I'm not that fussy whether the meat is grassfed or pastured every single time. I do what I can. Stressing over the details is not that important to me. When I want a really rich fatty cut of pork, a trip to Whole Foods is in order. It's actually not that expensive. But if I'm at Trader Joe's and they've got pork chops, I can usually convince my boyfriend to toss them in the cart and then yay, we get pork chops and I didn't have to pay for them.
    I wasn't saying you should worry about it or anything. I was merely responding to your statement of "I don't know."

And my local Whole Foods is starting to become a favorite store of mine as well.

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Butcher should be able to tell you what the source is. Look for a butcher getting his meat from a family farm/ranch. More likely to be pasture fed and probably corn finished but that's better than most. My butcher gets his from a family owned ranch down near Pueblo, CO for instance. He's even got pics of their operation up on his wall. Great pig and beef and most of it pretty lean anyway so not loads of fat to worry about though I do enjoy a bit of succulent fat on my cuts.

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    H-Mart is cheap and usually has a wide variety of cuts available, even organ meat. Not very widespread though.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123