Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy your pork? page 2

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You could always try and find one or two others to go in with you on a 1/2 hog. 40 lbs of meat wrapped in individual packages will fit in a standard fridge freezer. Heck you could darn near get all 80 lbs in there, but there wouldn't be much room left over. Nice thing about hogs is they are considerably cheaper than beef. I just purchased a 1/2 hog and it was only $240

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Ehhhh if I wanted to go buy a half hog somewhere, it would cost $7.99/lb versus the $6.69/lb for beef for ~80lbs.

Edit: by the way, sorry, I meant quarter hog, not half. XD

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, hogs are expensive in you part of the world. That's over double my cost here in CO. Bummer.

Haha, I guess because in California we raise a lot more beef than pigs? Makes sense because we have more grass? :P

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    We are raising 2 hogs. When we bought 1/2 a beef it came out to $4 something a pound, so worth it but it is a lot of meat.

Philmont Scott is offline Junior Member
    Chest freezer.
    NOT frost-free.
    Turn the temperature down. Your ice cream will be rock hard, rather than scoopable, but your meat will last a lot longer if properly wrapped.

If you are out of freezer space, maybe you should buy another freezer first? It has saved us a LOT of money over the years, and allows us to buy better meat.

The housing I live in is temporary for about another year, so I can't buy too many things to be bogged down with. Thanks for that suggestion though - I definitely will get a freezer once I start a family!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I just bought 17 lbs of pork at Superfresh. Whole loins were on a 3 day special - $1.69/lb. Pretty sweet deal so I bought 2, trimmed them up really well, cut them individually and wrapped them up in freezer bags. Now I have 6 large pork roasts. I took all the fat I cut off and rendered a small jar of lard from it as well by cooking out all the water slowly, then straining it through a mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth. Worked perfectly.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Hey Choco, was that pastured pork?

I've toured factory hog operations..... I think the extra you pay for pastured pork is money well spent if chemicals and hormones in meats bother you. It's a giant chemistry experiment, some of those places. I don't think anything (except maybe chickens) is as unnatural as how they raise pigs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast