Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does being cold speed up your metabolism, thus leading to weight loss?? page

breetbree is offline Senior Member

does being cold speed up your metabolism, thus leading to weight loss??

Primal Fuel
    i heard being cold speeds up metabolism because you're trying to produce heat or something among those lines? my friend also told me he's lost 20 pounds by doing a big of walking and taking cold showers, but i think he's full of shit! he eats fast food almost every day on his way to the career tech center so i'm calling BS!! any thoughts on this?

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Yes
    Billie trips balls

Spiralicious is offline Senior Member
    Cold thermogenesis would be what you're talking about. The internets says it better than I do, look it up.

i looked into it, and there are some interesting ideas such as cold showers/baths and submerging your head in cold/ freezing water and holding your breath a couple times. definitely going to give it a try.

thompsanne is offline Junior Member
    McDonald's turns eating into a commercial experience

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    There is definitely a bank of research to back up this general theory but it's not going to be a magic pill. You can spend your time trying stuff like this or just sorting out your diet and exercise regime. One of those things will contribute to around 95% of your total results (hint: it's not the cold water thing).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Agree, it's mostly about getting proper nutrition and avoiding toxins - but the cold, icy showers are invigorating and DO get me energized. I was a skeptic at first, until I tried it. I wouldn't care even if it had no effect on body composition. It feels like flying! The colder the better, and control your breathing - keep it calm, slow and DEEP. Start with lukewarm water, hot water has almost no evolutionary precedence and is truly stressful on the body. I turn the heat down notch by notch and let it hit my face first, then turn and get it all over, and then another notch down until I'm at full cold. In downtown Everett, that was probably only around 45 or 50, but now that we've moved out here in the countryside it's feeling more like 35, and all the more potent.

Losing weight does not equal better health in every case. You're better off slightly overweight from nutrient-dense food (liver, eggs, etc.) and excess muscle mass than you would be starving and malnourished like a vegan.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    There is definitely a bank of research to back up this general theory but it's not going to be a magic pill. You can spend your time trying stuff like this or just sorting out your diet and exercise regime. One of those things will contribute to around 95% of your total results (hint: it's not the cold water thing).
    my god, yes. thank you!

well i have been improving on my diet and exercise, i just wanted to see if anyone else experimented with this. i'm aware this isn't a "magic pill"... and i felt great after taking a cold shower in the morning! doing that made me feel very awake and energized, enough to get a good walk in at 5:30! (:

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    Calories are burned to warm up your body. If you are in a cold environment then your body will need to burn more calories to keep your temperature at 98 degrees. When people climb mount everest they need to spend several weeks at the base camp to get acclimated to the conditions. Between the coldness and the thin air people lose a significant amount of weight. I have heard 20 pounds in 6 weeks just trying to stay warm. I guess taking a cold shower would cause you to burn a few more calories but I doubt a 5 minutes shower will have much of an effect on total calorie metabolism compared to living in cold conditions 24-7.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast