Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: does being cold speed up your metabolism, thus leading to weight loss?? page 2

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    To paraphrase Tim Ferriss' book, there is no way Michael Phelps could burn the amount of calories he ate while training (upwards of 12,000/day) simply by exercise. The vast majority were burned by his body maintaining it's body temperature as he spent 5+ hours in the pool.

Cold showers are one way, ice baths are another (and far more extreme way.) A simple way to get much of the benefit is to rest an ice pack on your shoulders/back while lying down watching TV/Reading. I believe it helps to kill off the brown fat cells located there and helps make keeping weight off easier.

This breaks it down a bit more

Use Thermodynamics to Lose Fat? | Fit Desk Jockey
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Misti is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness Wayne View Post
    Calories are burned to warm up your body. If you are in a cold environment then your body will need to burn more calories to keep your temperature at 98 degrees. When people climb mount everest they need to spend several weeks at the base camp to get acclimated to the conditions. Between the coldness and the thin air people lose a significant amount of weight. I have heard 20 pounds in 6 weeks just trying to stay warm. I guess taking a cold shower would cause you to burn a few more calories but I doubt a 5 minutes shower will have much of an effect on total calorie metabolism compared to living in cold conditions 24-7.
    Thank you, Wayne. I had been wondering about this.

We keep our central heating on minimally through the winter and I wondered whether that would be a bit of help with Cold thermogenesis...when the ambiant temperature is 10C, the idea of an icy shower isn't all that appealing.

It sounds like my 10C house may be doing me some good even without the shower.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonwolf View Post
    To paraphrase Tim Ferriss' book, there is no way Michael Phelps could burn the amount of calories he ate while training (upwards of 12,000/day) simply by exercise. The vast majority were burned by his body maintaining it's body temperature as he spent 5+ hours in the pool.

Cold showers are one way, ice baths are another (and far more extreme way.) A simple way to get much of the benefit is to rest an ice pack on your shoulders/back while lying down watching TV/Reading. I believe it helps to kill off the brown fat cells located there and helps make keeping weight off easier.

This breaks it down a bit more

Use Thermodynamics to Lose Fat? | Fit Desk Jockey
    Rumor has it that Phelps kept his training pool somewhere under 60degrees F, and then spent hours in it every day.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Rumor has it that Phelps kept his training pool somewhere under 60degrees F, and then spent hours in it every day.
    that's BS. competitive swimmers do not swim in 60 degree pools. jack kruse started that BS, btw.
    -ex competitive swimmer, jakey.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    that's BS. competitive swimmers do not swim in 60 degree pools. jack kruse started that BS, btw.
    -ex competitive swimmer, jakey.
    I shall refrain from spreading that rumor any more. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12