Thread: Making up for stunted growth on accutane page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Making up for stunted growth on accutane

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So my mom's friend's son had really terrible acne (we're talking full-on acne that spread to shoulders and daily pain, etc) when in the early teens, so he went on accutane. I think it stunted his growth because he hasn't grown in the last year since he started taking it, despite the fact that he's 15 and has uber long arms for his height. Is there a way to make up for the fact that the accutane has stunted his growth, or is it permanent? Would really like to help him, so any advice would be appreciated!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I stopped growing when I was about 14 or 15. Some guys just stop growing on the early side. I had my growth spurt at age 12 (grew like four inches that year). Most guys have their growth spurts at age 15 or so. However, I am not that tall.

It's a well known fact that the earlier a guy has his growth spurt, generally, the earlier he will stop growing overall, and therefore, the shorter he will be in the end, even if his early growth spurt temporarily makes him taller than everybody in his class. I fit this paradigm exactly.

He is 5'9" and his arms are clearly too long for his current frame.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Well, that is an awkward time for developing bodies... And I wouldn't worry. I'll take his 5'9" frame any day. He's already 3.5 or 4 inches taller than me. xD

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I just googled it...and man it seems there are a lot of people who felt like their growth was stunted because of accutane. I don't think there's anything you can do short if stopping it ASAP though.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Aw, that is too bad. I was hoping there would be a natural way to make up for it, since he's already finished his year of accutane. He is short compared to relatives.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    All-round optimal nutrition, strength training, being very active and consuming plenty of dairy for bone growth could still make a small difference. Environmental stressors still have the power to influence his phenotype as long as he hasn't stopped growing.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.