Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are So Many People in America Fat? page

Supercell is offline Junior Member

Question Why Are So Many People in America Fat?

Shop Now
    By this I mean in comparison to say, the UK?

The problem of Obesity seems to be so much worse in the USA

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I think it's portion sizes. Portions here in the US are HUGE compared to other countries. I think I read somewhere that when eating at McDonald's in France, their large size fry is the same size at our small fry here......that's a huge difference.

And also, everyone is always on the go, no time to stop and cook, savor our food, nothing. Fast food and big portions is what it's all about here. It's pretty gross.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    GMO's and the proliferation of vegetable oils.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Large portion sizes, little exercise, processed foods that are nutritionally devoid and easy to prepare, snacks that are sweet and salty and designed to make you overeat, a government and doctors who generally push the CW that one should eat a high- whole grain and low fat diet. Corn and soybean in everything.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    GMO's and the proliferation of vegetable oils.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Large portion sizes, little exercise, processed foods that are nutritionally devoid and easy to prepare, snacks that are sweet and salty and designed to make you overeat, a government and doctors who generally push the CW that one should eat a high- whole grain and low fat diet. Corn and soybean in everything.
    These are both great point as well that I forgot about.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Cheap oil, low population density and hybrid vigour from having a very varied gene pool are big facilitators IMO.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Because baby got back!

Once sir mix alot came along it was all down hill from there.

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    I think people do more walking in the UK and Europe. It's pretty tough to walk or find mass transit in the US unless you live someplace like New York or San Francisco. This is in addition to portion sizes and our HMO docs who don't seem to think for themselves.
    Height - 5'8"
    SW - 191
    CW - 162
    GW - 155

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Another reason is that people are always in a hurry to make sure they will die sooner. That's why most people eat and drink out of a box, wrapper and plastic cup inside their car or while watching tv or at the movies, stuff that someone else has prepared for them.
    It hasn't always been like this. If you see films from the sixties and earlier,and I'm not talking Hollywood stuff, but rather documentaries showing average people on the streets you'll see more slender, nicer and healthier looking people. Most women actually had waist lines back then. Much better dressed too.
    The whole fat acceptance thing really pisses me off. Sorry for the rant.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I thought people in the UK were catching up with us. Maybe it's just England. After WWII, the Japanese drank more cow's milk and got taller. Now they're eating like us and they're getting fatter. Someone posted a study that stated that the French are getting fatter (I know they're not a part of the UK).

Follow the US at your peril. We may be the biggest baddest gun shootenist mother fuckers on the planet, but we are fat and our kids are getting stupid. We stopped being role models a long time ago.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast