Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are So Many People in America Fat? page 5

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    But...but...they're made with natural flavors with other natural flavors...
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I don’t think anyone here is wrong. The obesity problem involves so many variables and probably all of them have been brought up in this thread. I don’t mean to be harsh to anyone for being fat because pre-primal I was no different. Like many of you I was obese and in very poor health. I drank soda and ate garbage every day, and I never exercised.

Many on this thread have brought up the notion that people’s attitudes have changed over the past few decades. I agree. I grew up in the late 70s and 80s and even then junk food was considered a “treat” to most people. Same with soda. When I was a kid I didn’t know anyone that ate junk food on a daily basis. That was for special occasions. There weren’t vending machines everywhere like there is now. Look around - those things are everywhere! Nowadays people eat junk food exclusively and graze all day. Most people didn’t graze back then either. I mentioned how stressed people are here in the states. Ridiculously stressed. Is it like that in other countries?
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    I think everyone's brought up valid reasons why Americans are so damn fricking fat. But what about the toll chronic sleep deprivation takes on the body? I know people who are actually proud of the fact that they "get by" on 6 hours or less a night. And these aren't on-call physicians or firefighters or any sort of professional people who have 24/7 obligations. They stay up watching stupid brain cell-obliterating TV, rampant consumers of blue light via computer screens and cell phones.

"B-b-b-utttt... there just aren't enough hours in the day, I'm too busy eating my six low-fat meals, driving my children all over town to endless extracurriculars, driving to the gym to walk on a treadmill for 30 minutes, then scrubbing my toilet at 10pm because I'm just SO damn busy..." and then falling asleep in front of the TV. Come on now. You're busy trying to prove how fabulously multi-tasking you think you should be. It's a message that's constantly reiterated on TV screens all over the US. Television and media that by their own definitions, you really don't have time to be watching!

Sorry to rant, I got going for a moment there.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

@lex is offline Senior Member

I honestly have no clue, it's one of the great mysteries of our time.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    I am sure the stress doesn't help. In my city, people do NOT seem particularly stressed. However, we have tons of recreation here and if the weather permits the sidewalks, running paths, and parks are generally packed on any given day. I am sure being outside playing in the sunshine and fresh air destresses people. Not too mention the exercise and vit D from playing outside is enough to burn up excess insulin. And makes us happy. (Volunteer work is big here too) All those small things tied together must make a difference. I generally only see obese people a couple times a year when I head to the burbs to hit up a shopping mall.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Is.. is that... bacon burger donuts, with cheeze?

AC

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Cheap, highly palatable food, which is pervasive everywhere. A culture of "me, me, me" and "I want this now". American food is significantly larger in size or cheaper than most of the rest of the world.
    Last edited by AMonkey; 10-30-2012 at 01:18 PM.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    An interesting aside...

I'm still a little confused how this guy could have gotten the idea that Americans are slim though, unless he's going purely by some soap operas and movies?

AC

PS: I can also confirm that no, most Asians don't eat much soy. Some soy sauce or a few tofu squares as part of a much larger dish is about it. However many of the adverts push the idea that soy milk is healthy - because Americans drink it!
    Like you said probably American media. It may also be because only richer Americans would go to a country like Hawaii and richer people tend to be in better health. About the soy milk thing. My mum was telling me that in countries like Singapore, they switched from using palm oils to vegetable oils because of US cultural exports saying "Sat fat is bad!".

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    Many on this thread have brought up the notion that people’s attitudes have changed over the past few decades. I agree. I grew up in the late 70s and 80s and even then junk food was considered a “treat” to most people. Same with soda. When I was a kid I didn’t know anyone that ate junk food on a daily basis. That was for special occasions. There weren’t vending machines everywhere like there is now. Look around - those things are everywhere! Nowadays people eat junk food exclusively and graze all day. Most people didn’t graze back then either. I mentioned how stressed people are here in the states. Ridiculously stressed. Is it like that in other countries?
    I agree with what you said. In the past, sweets and snacks and other treats were just that...treats, once in awhile things to be enjoyed sparingly unless you were wealthy enough to be able to afford sugar and chocolate with your meal. Dessert was not commonplace, and neither was snacking. These days it seems as if people are unwilling to suffer the slightest twinge of hunger pangs, and for most people it is a cycle of endlessly shoving food and snacks down their gullet lest their sugar levels drop.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

MrsJorre is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Is.. is that... bacon burger donuts, with cheeze?
    As overweight as Australia is getting (70% overweight now apparently) I'm sure that that would never happen here.

My mind goes to the analogy of the frog in the pot of cool water, heat goes on, nice warm bath, a little hotter....nice and toasty...and voila! Poached frog!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast