Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fats and constipation page

Alykat is offline Member

Fats and constipation

Primal Fuel
    about how many "grams" should one aim for daily to end the constipation?

what fat source (coconut oil, flaxseed, olive, tallow ect...) works best for this issue?

thank you so much

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Would be wary of recommending "sight unseen" and not knowing anything else. There could be many reasons for that, certainly including (but not limited to) insufficient fat in the diet.

Flaxseed oil is a bit unstable -- OK in small amounts and if kept refrigerated and used sparingly. Combine saturated and monounsaturated fats. Something between about 40 and 80 % of calories as fat probably covers what most indigenous people eat.

A little magnesium citrate can get things moving. And eat to nurture your gut flora.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    personally i wouldn't use fat as a laxative. something aint quite right there. while some people notice a laxative effect from coconut oil, or <insert fat here>, it's not a good idea to rely on that as a laxative.

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member
    I always know that when I have bathroom troubles, that I need to eat more fat. It doesn't fix it right away/over night/whatever like a pill does, but it helps to keep me more...regular? That sounds so "ew"

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure you're constipated and not just making less poo? Are there gas, pain, or other sensations in your lower abdomen? Eating purer food like meat means less poo overall. If you're sure you're genuinely constipated, yes magnesium citrate will fix it. Take it easy, though. It won't take much - maybe 1/2 a teaspoon.

Are you eating dairy? Drop the dairy for now to make sure it's not part of the problem.
    Are you drinking TONS of water, especially if new to this?

I'm prone to constipation, especially on SAD. I've learned to avoid dairy almost entirely except for hard, aged cheeses. And if I cheat and have a few slices of the magic endless pizza parade from work, I PAY for it. Apples, sweet potatoes and magnesium save me when I do myself in - for the fiber and electrolytes in the food as well.

Typically though, people find that if they get out of the gray zone (dairy, too much chocolate and wine, ice cream, etc.) and go strict high-fat primal (meat (and similar - eggs, seafood,bone broth), fruit, veggies, and a little nuts and berries on the side), there's a happier gut to be found. I NEVER have poo problems when eating huge amounts of red meat and coconut milk, tallow, avocados, nuts, etc. Sometimes poultry will stop at the station for a bit, but it always makes it on time, too.

Adjusting your macronutrient ratios may or may not be helpful, depending on the situation.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Alykat is offline Member
    Jakey- not really looking for a laxative, im trying to get off them right now so i thought having more fats would do the trick....

Alykat is offline Member
    knifegill- oh yah i know im constipated :-?
    i am way too familiar with the feeling in the gut and moodiness i get from it :-(

i omitted dairy years ago :-) miss it to this day!

i have redundant colon, makes pooing more difficult and a longer process than anyone else i know, so i need quick and easy bathroom trips. i have not had that...well maybe since i was a child (when i use to have fats and meat but a lot of processed food too).

I have been vegan for over 20 yrs. due to poo problems but know i need animal foods again. i want to do this right though and not end up worse than i have been.
    That is why i am posing this question of how many spoons of fat a day??
    alone on empty tummy or in my food dishes only etc... ??
    Just how to do the fat thing to where it really helps the bowels run smoothly.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    If you feel constipated, fruit is good for that.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Alykat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    If you feel constipated, fruit is good for that.

Oh, yes, fruit is pretty good. The only reason I am not going that route is due to 2 yrs doing the raw 80/10/10 diet. It really messed me up on so many levels. Aside from that, just one peice of fruit makes me crave sugars all day long. It took me sometime to break out of that addiction. I think I am going to have to go lower carb. Highe fat. I also ended up with dental problems from the High fruit diet ;-(

But yes to people who can use fruit, I would say its the best for constipation..

thompsanne is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    it's not a good idea to rely on that as a laxative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast