Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fats and constipation page 2

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Anyone else use super strong coffee (like a mug of espresso) or really, really high caffeine tea for this?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Getting off laxatives takes awhile and in general isn't a cold turkey process. When you've been helping peristalsis artificially for a long time, it takes the body awhile to get back to doing the job on its own. So, decreasing laxatives slowly is less painful than stopping all at once.

Fluids are important. Coffee does help some people, as does a mug of warm tea or soup. Maybe keep a food journal and have a code for days when you went more easily than other days? In that way you can see what foods or combinations of foods or even the timing of meals and how that affects you.

Maybe a gentle walk after big meals? Not strenuous exercise, just a 10 or 15 minute stroll.

If you are in the process of both changing your diet and decreasing your reliance on laxatives, you may have a little discomfort for awhile. Stressing about it may make it worse. Take a book in when you go. Don't worry about how long it takes you unless it is so excessive that it interferes with your life.

Eventually balance will be key. After relying on laxatives for a long period of time, it's normal to go for the one food, or fat, etc. that will get you to go. Because you've been relying on one thing (the laxative) for so long. It's a mindset.

Good luck.

BigJilm is offline Senior Member
    I was a SAD sufferer of consties, and when first going primal had a few "hard" weeks which were not pleasant. Up the magnesium, and work on the gut flora to rectify. As others have said its not a quick fix and took me six or so weeks... but everything came together and is no longer an issue.

I went cold turkey into primal, so if there is a favoured food that usually helps you (such as bran), perhaps keep having a small serving every day, then every other day until your comfortable.
    I'll be back

Alykat is offline Member
    Thank you so much,this is all great info and encouragement!

Coffee is too drying for me, but I know a lot of people like it for that reason.
    I like the idea of a food source rather than a suppliment to help the bowels work better. But after fiber menace I am weary of fiber,more pain Than it is worth.

This is why I asked the fat question, thinking it should keep the stools soft so one does not need magnesium or a stool softner from the drug store. But if I am wrong let me know.

You sharing that the first weeks are rough in this area and it will pass helps keep me going rather than throwing the towel in

Alykat is offline Member
    Quick question....
    If one just eats meats (rare-how I prefer meat-seems easier to digest) along with fats Only (like avocado, olive,butter and oils) will this make BM's easier?
    I don't feel great after fiber but always thought is was necessary for colon to move out waste?
    Sorry that may be two Q's...

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Fiber simply adds bulk. If your digestive system is accustomed to a lot of fiber and you reduce your intake, yes, you'll get constipated. If you reduce it slowly, or use natural laxatives (magnesium citrate or Vitamin C as ascorbic acid), your bowels will eventually adjust. Poop is mostly bacteria.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Alykat is offline Member
    Namelesswonder ( fun name :-])

Thank you! So basically one could cut out bulk fiber veg (broccoli, carrots ect...) yet still keep some well ( meaning melt in your mouth fermented ) cultured Veg for probiotic benefits. By just keeping suppliments like magnesium will result in a good functioning digestive system that peristalsis still could occur without much fiber?

If so that's great, I could easly enjoy lettuce and cultured veg only next to animal proteins!

Alykat is offline Member
    Lean meats will leave one constipated, correct?

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    you need fresh veggies PLUS fermented veggies. it's not best to rely on the preserved stuff.

magnesium is lacking in most people's diets these days and yes it helps promote regularity, among other things, but it's not something you take "instead" of eating greens.

any idea how much fat per day you are eating? i don't track fiber at all, but most days i eat 100+ gms of fat and take a magnesium supplements daily. my bowels run like a clock.

you have healing to do though. take probiotics, take magnesium and eat bone broth once or twice per day.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

GeorgeMorale is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I was constipated all of the time due to a medication I was taking and nothing helped. I tried drinking lots of water, over the counter drugs, even consulting a doctor. I know this is an embarrassing subject, but left unchecked it can do massive damage to your digestive system.It got so bad that one night I had a terrible stomach ache and felt like I needed to go. What happened next caused me to seek help online. Constipation cure Since the waste couldn’t come out where it was supposed to, it found another route. I think you get the picture.Later on, I found out how extremely dangerous this incident was and that I could have even died from it if an infection had resulted.I just want to say that the only thing that helped was this guide. Thank-you so much!
    Last edited by GeorgeMorale; 08-22-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast