Thread: trying to go primal (again) while breastfeeding page

jls
    jls is offline Junior Member

trying to go primal (again) while breastfeeding

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just had my 4th baby 6 weeks ago. I started going primal in the early stages of my pregnancy, because I was already overweight and I wanted to be careful not to gain too much. I already believe that primal is the best way
    to go, I just have trouble sticking with it. I did great up until the last two months of my pregnancy...I just started
    to eat whatever. Whenever I start breastfeeding a newborn, I'm always hungrier than I ever was while pregnant.
    ANd now that I have 4 small children, I find it hard to have time to really plan my meals. I tend to just eat whatever
    I can quickly before the baby cries. Like in the morning, I'll hurry up to make my coffee, and then quickly make
    some toast, just because it's fast and I'm hungry by the time I wake up.

I need ideas to have things ready and fast, or just quick things to make or have on hand, especially for breakfast.
    I don't always have time to cook breakfast. I really want to get back into going primal, cause even though I didn't
    gain much this pregnancy, I still have a lot of weight to lose. HELP!!!?!??!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Egg muffins. You need to be able to prepare it, but can be made ahead of time. Divide sausage into muffin tin, bake 10 min. Cover with chopped veggies, eggs, cheese as desired. Bake 20 min. I've found these can last about 3-4 days in the fridge. Pop in microwave for 30s to reheat. Could make coconut flour pancakes on the weekend as well.

Use your crockpot (or get one) for dinners. Can make dinner take only 15-20 minutes to throw together and your hubby could even help with it the night before.

Keep easy, primal snacks on hand. If you eat cheese, it's a little easier. Nuts, fruit, cheese. You could even cook up a bunch of chicken and just grab chunks of it to eat. You'll need to use your weekends to do some planning and cooking.

jls
    Thank you! That is helpful. I don't have a crockpot, but oftentimes I'll cook something in the afternoon when the baby's asleep
    and just reheat for dinner. I also homeschool my oldest two children...so time is tight. I do eat cheese, but probably too much of it.
    I also have a big bag of almonds in my freezer. I think that after awhile, I just got bored with everything. But i like the idea of
    keeping cooked chicken on hand. Also, I was thinking maybe I just try having beef jerky on hand, but don't know of a good brand
    to try.

mamagault is offline Member
    I make a smoothie one-handed while juggling the baby (now a year old). Chug that, eat a dollop of almond butter, and make myself something a little heartier after he's been fed and is happy. Or eat leftovers.

FWIW, I have 5 kids, homeschool the oldest 3. It is difficult, but it does get easier. As for being bored with food, I'm just glad that it's clean fuel for my body (and then I try to find different, yet budget-minded, meals so I can have more leftovers).

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    A microwaved egg, mixed with butter and cream is pretty awesome and easy to make.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

primal me is offline Member
    Remember to keep your fat up, it helps keep the milk nourishing, avocado is great for this. You may want to invest in a crock-pot, they are lifesavers! Another good idea is making extra for meals so that you have something quick for breakfast. My guys appreciated left-over roast and eggs this morning instead of the usual bacon/sausage and eggs.

If there is any chance of allergies be sure to be careful of nut intake and also dairy, they are common allergens and can affect baby through the milk.
    I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
    HT: 5'7"
    SW: 223 June 2012
    CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
    TWL2D: 32 lbs

Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

Heatherly is offline Junior Member
    My first thought was the same as primal me, LOTS of fat. You are in a HUGE hormonal shift that should be respected. You will need to eat often and well.

If your baby is fussy with certain foods, start by removing dairy first.

jls
    Thank you all SO MUCH! This all very helpful!