Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Primal Journey (cdmuscle) page 2

cdmuscle is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Some how I managed to pick up a stomach virus. I have a terrible belly ache and so today will be IF until it passes... It started when I went to bed last night so hopefully it will be gone early today.
    ***Project Under Construction***

seems intresting.but, i can't adopt these kind of things

Ok, so things are better today. Stomach is still a little grumbly and I have a headache but overall things are much better than yesterday. I ate what I could manage to get down and that seemed to keep things under control. So, today we begin again and start fresh. My diet is pretty much the same as before. I try to keep calories around 1300-1500 now so I don't go too low and I keep lean protein level rather high due to the weight training. I also have yams during lunch to give a little extra boost during workouts. Today is leg day which is a love-hate relationship for me. I have always trained legs hard but they never respond as well as the other muscle groups... Genetic expression.

By the way, if others would like to post on my journal, I think that's great. However, if you do not agree with things I do or say, or if you have negative things to say in general - don't post here. You are just wasting my space. I'm not interested in negative opinions.

I had a quick minute tonight and wanted to start logging my workouts. They keep me on track and help highlights times when I may be over-training or not training hard enough. Since I took yesterday off, I was able to really do a great workout tonight. Since I worked pretty hard, I was more hungry than usual and had a few extra macadamia nuts which settled everything up nicely. Calories for today are 1430, weight 147 this morning.

Workout:

Leg press 5 sets (2 warmup) alternating with jump squats - 15 reps
    Romanian single leg squats - 3 x 15 reps each leg
    Walking lunges - 3 x 15 each leg
    Step up to reverse lunge - 3 x 15 each leg
    Lying leg curl - 3 x 12 reps
    Dumbell deadlift - 3 x 15 reps
    Adducter/Abducter machine back-to-back 3 x 15 reps each
    Leg extension - 3 x 15 reps
    Stiff deadlift - 3 x 10 reps (I was really wiped out by this point)
    Seated calf raises - 3 x 15 reps

Legs were jello. Loved it. I know it looks like a lot, but I have been training for over 12 years now and have adapted to it. It only takes me 45-60 minutes to get through this workout so it is very fast and intense. I am dripping sweat by the time I get to the deadlifts. I drink a lot of water during and afterward and eat some pickle slices to help restore salt.

I have noticed that my restless legs still bother me at night (even the nights I don't train) so I have increased my potassium and magnesium intake to help me sleep. I go to bed early but given that I wake up quite a bit, I only get around 6-7 hours of sleep.

Overall, I feel really good though and am not dragging during the day and my workouts are still very intense. I have found that 5 days per week training is a good place to be. I also walk the days I don't train. Since the weather is getting cold, it is nice to walk to the local Starbucks and have a cup of hot tea and then walk back. One of the best ways to get in the seasonal spirit.

I finished Mark's book this past weekend. It was a great read and I am feeling more motivated. I am also reading the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories." It is a really long one and full of research (which I enjoy reading). I am absolutely amazed at how the data has been skewed to make the general population believe eating fats is bad for health especially when one is diabetic or has high blood pressure. As a post-grad, I knew data is always somewhat skewed to support an individual's own hypothesis, I guess I never realized just how far some would go to uphold their own agenda. The more I read, the happier I am with my decision to go paleo. I was having some serious trouble staying on track as I have always eaten loads of carbs and had been taught that grains were more important than anything else in the diet (fiber, fuel for workouts, etc.). I watched my dad die slowly and painfully due to multiple health problems related to his diet. All the time his doctors were telling him to eat low-fat. It makes me very angry that we are all fed the same song and dance when it may not be true for each individual's physiology.

This past weekend I ate and ate so no weight lost. I even had a higher carb day yesterday which gave me nightmares since I ate a simple sugar so close to bedtime.

But, I am back on track today and armed with a new frame of mind.

Today's workout - back and biceps with ab/core work on the side.

Diet calories are pretty much the same, so I will see how it goes this week before I decide whether or not to change it up a bit.

Have a great Monday!

Around a year ago I came across a book (can't remember the title now) written by a woman who had lost tons of weight and then became a personal trainer. I really admired her work and she seemed very sincere about what she believed was the healthy way to live. At the end of the book, however, she finished off by saying that she believes she will just have to deal with being hungry all the time. She said that no matter what she did activity-wise or diet-wise, she still was hungry most of the day and was just resolved to live that way for the rest of her life. It was a bit depressing...

I am also a follower of a fairly prominent Canadian coach who has helped numerous Olympians and bodybuilders get ready for competitions. He also has said that the human body is a machine and the hunger drive is just another feeling we have to get used to. He believes hunger is not a bad thing and said that society has turned it into something "bad" which is why everyone is always trying to "not be hungry." In turn, society encourages more eating by saying we need to eat snacks during the day in order to avoid being hungry. Here again, I was a bit saddened to hear this. Have I been socially conditioned to believe this also?

I am questioning this because it seems like I am ALWAYS hungry. Regardless of the type of eating program I am on, I still manage to eat way more than I really need to. It is very frustrating sometimes. Does anyone else deal with this? What do you do that helps or do you just believe as the individuals mentioned above that we are just made to be hungry?

Just Curious.

The workout was not a very good one last night so I helped a friend with his workout instead of focusing on mine. As we trained together, I mentioned my energy level being so low and the fact that I fail very quickly when lifting. It has gotten to the point that I don't lift as heavy as I used to because if I do, I may fail right in the middle of a rep which is not a problem unless you doing squats or bench presses.

We also discussed this insatiable appetite I seem to have so much trouble with. I told him that I enjoy eating paleo and don't want to give that up but some of the quirks I am noticing are becoming an issue for training effectively. I have also had more trouble with restless legs at night since starting the plan. He mentioned potassium and that the lack of carbs may be contributing to my inability to hold potassium. Funny thing is that potassium chloride (supplement form) is the only thing that helps my legs when they get out of control. He also said he had recently started taking beta blockers for blood pressure and that his doctor recommended eating coconut or drinking coconut water to help with the lowered potassium created by the diuretic.

I LOVE coconut in or on anything. So, last night I had some coconut butter and it really helped fill me up. I am going to keep testing different coconut products and see how it goes...

Intrigued.

Things are better today. I think I have picked up a bit of a head cold but nothing serious. There are lots of viruses going around work lately so I have been lucky to only get this one. The workout was pretty good last night, shoulders can be a great metabolism boosting bodypart. I may change things up next week though since I am getting used to this split program. I have also reestablished my calorie set up and the coconut seems to be helping me stay on track. Although I am still hungry, it's doable not the overwhelming hunger that sometimes shows up especially after a hard workout.

Today's workout - chest/triceps and ab/core. A little lighter and less intense since I am not feeling totally 100%...

Great workout last night but it's time to change things up a bit so this weekend will be a revamping of my workout schedule! I am really excited because my strength is finally up and my weight is going down again. I am taking tonight off the training. My bench is up which made me feel GREAT. I can bench 100 lbs for 12 reps. Not to bad for an old lady... lol

Happy Friday!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Workouts were good over the weekend and I am getting used to the ketone-burning for energy which really helps maintain the diet. Plus - I hit 145 lbs this morning. YAY!

Strange how everything is going so well but I keep waiting for the big blowout to happen. Over the past 8 years of trying to diet the conventional way, I would always hit a point of bliss (weight down, good energy, diet going well) and then all of the sudden have a MAJOR blowout. Reducing calories works for a very limited amount of time for me and then I simply can't do it any more. The hunger would get so overwhelming that I believe I would have eaten paint if it smelled like food. After losing a few pounds during the course of 3-4 weeks, I would have to give in. And it would get ugly. Then I would feel like crap and be right back where I started. It happened EVERY time.

So I am now at the point where it usually starts and I am a little worried about it. Even though I don't have the cravings nor the manic hunger (which is great), there is still that little voice that keeps saying it's only a matter of time...

I have to say that one major accomplishment was actually getting through the weekend without giving into carb temptations. That has NEVER happened, weekends are almost always when I cave. But it wasn't even hard because I have so many other things available to eat and I can eat them without feeling guilty.

So I am looking forward to the holiday for once in my life because I know that I am going to be able to eat without feeling guilty and without the huge weight gain. Now that's something to be thankful for!

Have a Great Thanksgiving Everyone and enjoy that turkey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12