Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat MOAR meat! page 6

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Yes, I never cut down on my meat consumption when doing really low carb. When reading and following Paleobird's "Eat Moar Fat" board I went lower carb and higher fat, but continued to eat meat at every meal and still lost weight. I need my meat! I haven't read through this whole thread, but agree meat is important and so is fat. I have been keeping my carbs low. I started this way of eating in January 2011 at 167 and now weigh 127!! Yeah!! I stalled for a very long time and when I went low carb, high fat, and kept my meat at every meal I started to lose again. Love it!
    Yeah, on that thread we kicked around several experts and several "definitive" formulas for the ideal protein level. I've come to believe that the Dr Jan kwasniewski Optimal Diet formula is too low on the protein and that Mark's formula (which is very close to what Drs Phinney and Volek use) is about right. Of course, YMMV, but I too like my meat.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    As a cyclist, I used to have carbs, salt and chocolate when I came in from a good ride (potato chips and crappy 2% chocolate milk). Today when I came in I had a little coconut butter...which started to upset my stomach so I followed that with about 3 ounces of shank meat with a bit of ghee melted on it. THAT hit the spot

As active as I am I wonder if I should add sweet potatoes on hard effort days, but what I CRAVE is MEAT, and fat yes, but MEAT certainly. I eat far less meat than most of the posters on this thread do - 3-4 eggs and 1-2 slices thick bacon for brekkie, and 3-4 ounces of meat or poultry for lunch and dinner. I wonder if I am eating enough meat...hmmmmmm

I won't try IF because I've had too many problems over the years with not eating enough for so long that I can be half-starved and still not feel hungry, even with my activity level... I feel too good to invite problems
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-02-2012 at 03:28 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Rather than use a formula for anything, and rather than do any calorie counting, I just eat as much meat and vegetables as I want. So far it seems to be working. I have started lifting weights, so that is part of why it's working. I eat generous portions. A 10oz steak for breakfast, a 7.5 oz can of salmon for lunch, more meat for dinner. With sides of veggies or potatoes or both. With such a simple diet, if I'm not really hungry, I have no appetite for it. If I'm hungry enough for meat, then I'm hungry.

It's kinda strange because I am eating so much but I have not gained weight (or size since I have not weighed myself). If anything I'm smaller.

It's like I have gone accidentally 95% paleo and it's like wow, why is this working all of a sudden? Oddly I don't miss wine or chocolate or cheese or anything. What did I change other than eat more meat and start lifting weights? It's not like I said "I'm going to give up chocolate, cheese and wine and eat only meat and veggies." It just spontaneously happened that once I started eating lots more meat, I wanted veggies and potatoes but nothing else.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    sbhikes, thanks for starting this...you put into words what I hadn't yet quite consciously realized.
    And, yeah, it's expensive...but feeling great is worth paying something for, especially if it also means being energetic and looking great!

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I have never used formulas or counting since starting PB and if I just base my meals, like sbhikes around meat and vegetables (and fat, of course) I can lose weight or eat as much as I want and not gain. I do have to cut carbs and portions a bit to lose, though. When I do this there is no need for extras and no cravings. It's fantastic!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It just spontaneously happened that once I started eating lots more meat, I wanted veggies and potatoes but nothing else.
    You eat about the same as I do now, after I switched my macros around to up my protein, increase my carbs slightly, and cut the extra fat by about half (I don't worry about the fat in my meats, I am talking all the other extra fat) and in doing so, I started wanting to exercise and strength training again. Could have been a change in the weather, could have been this, could have been that, but it seems like I had the desire again. Result? I am losing again, about .5lbs per day. Could not be happier.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    I am hitting a local Brazilian Churrascaria in about an hour, in honor of this thread.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have a question for Neckhammer: You said "facial pie hole" Are there other bodily places you put pie? Also, in general, pie hole?? It's a meat hole, isn't it?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have a question for Neckhammer: You said "facial pie hole" Are there other bodily places you put pie? Also, in general, pie hole?? It's a meat hole, isn't it?
    Hahah...good points . Tonight was pork shoulder (bone in) 10 hrs in the crock pot. Mmmmm pork.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I saw something at my store, and was going to ask you guys about it, thought I would google it first, but now I can't remember what it was called.

It was in with the section with livers and hearts and feet and all that other kind of stuff. It was called beef tri...something I didnt buy it cuz I didnt know what it was, and now I can't remember what it was called
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast