Hello, I'm a newbie.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on lifting heavy weights and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility Type (HEDS) (sometimes known as Hypermobility Syndrome)? This condition means that my connective tissue is more fragile and stretchy than that of normal people. Everybody with the condition is different and I'm lucky in that unlike a lot of people with it I don't dislocate my joints, though my joints are very loose and I possibly sublux (ie partially dislocate) them pretty regularly. I do lots of pilates, walking and swimming and I'm trying to find out what to do about the lifting heavy stuff that's recommended here. The advice I've gleaned so far on lifting weights and HEDS seems to be pretty contradictory: eg 'don't lift heavy weights, light weights are OK' and 'don't do repeated movements with light weights but a few reps of heavy ones are OK' and 'isometrics are good'. Because everyone with HEDS is so different from one another, a good rule to follow in my experience is see what works for you and listen to your body as what can help some people can hurt others. But I thought I'd check if any one has any thoughts and see if there are any other EDSers here.

Thanks very much.