Thread: beet kvass page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

beet kvass

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I made beet kvass from the recipe in Nourishing Traditions. It's been 3 days, and there's a layer of mold on the top. I've tried to skim it, but it's hard to get all of it, and it's still there. I tasted it, very strong, salty, sour... quite nice actually. But the mold is bothering me. I strained the mold before drinking. Is that enough? Or is there a way to make this without the mold forming?

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I'm making this, but haven't had this problem - maybe my kitchen is less warm than yours?

I used this video, which is based on the NT recipe - she recommends that chopping the beets too finely can mean the fermentation takes place too quickly leading to mold. Video: Beet Kvass

May I ask if you used whey or just the dirt on the beets? I've used whey so far, but since making it, have read this and am now wondering if I should try without whey: No Whey? No way! Pickle Me Too

Just found this re beet kvass, is this what the 'mold' looks like? The Herbangardener How to Make Beet Kvass

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am wondering why kvass is spelled with 2 ss in English? It's one 's' in Russian, I just don't see the advantage of adding the second one.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    From researching with the links above, it sounds like as long as it tastes and smells fine you are in good shape. If it smells off, throw it out. As a lunch lady we have a saying, "when in doubt throw it out." However, it sounds like yours is fine.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

I chopped the beets very coarsely, quarter-inch pieces.

I used whey. I have a lot of it from making curds. That link you sent is interesting! I didn't know that. I assumed whey was the preferred way for fermentation.

We live in tropical weather, temperature in the high 20s to 30s, and very humid, so it only took 2 days for mold to start forming. Yes, it does look like that picture.

I find it hard to skim away all of the mold though. They break apart and spread.

Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    I'm making this, but haven't had this problem - maybe my kitchen is less warm than yours?

I used this video, which is based on the NT recipe - she recommends that chopping the beets too finely can mean the fermentation takes place too quickly leading to mold. Video: Beet Kvass

May I ask if you used whey or just the dirt on the beets? I've used whey so far, but since making it, have read this and am now wondering if I should try without whey: No Whey? No way! Pickle Me Too

Just found this re beet kvass, is this what the 'mold' looks like? The Herbangardener How to Make Beet Kvass

I also want to ask-- how do you know it's 'done'? Or can I just keep it fermenting longer and longer? Do I keep the beets in when I move it to the fridge? It may take us awhile to drink all of it.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I basically waited til mine was slightly fizzy (3 days) and then put it in the fridge. My understanding from the healthy home ec video was that it is done in 2 days, the beets can then be reused once (whey doesn't need to be added again) and then you throw the beets away.

This is the first fermenting I've ever done so I'm on a learning curve!

beccalou2 is offline Junior Member

maybe this will help...

From what I've read about fermenting any food, whether it be pickles, carrots or beets, you should try to submerge the vegetable below the water line. This prevents mold from growing. You can try using a pint glass to weigh down your veggies below the water line, but you will need a jar with a wide mouth. Otherwise you can cut your veggies and pack them in as tight as possible so they don't rise up, or you can cut up extra veggies that are long lengthwise to pack on top but still below the waterline.

maryinbulb is offline Junior Member
    yeah,i think so, This is the first fermenting I've ever done so I'm on a learning curve!thank you

camel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maryinbulb View Post
    yeah,i think so, This is the first fermenting I've ever done so I'm on a learning curve!thank you
    I use a mason jar, and in the opening i put a rubber bung and airlock I bought from u-brew supply store. No air= no scraping, no mold, no worry!
    http://wellpreserved.ca/2011/06/17/a...h-new-hieghts/