Thread: Hello from Amanda in Australia page

aussielady954 is offline Junior Member

Hello from Amanda in Australia

Primal Fuel
    Hello to everyone - I am 50 years old, and am looking into changes to improve my health and feeling stronger and more confident, I seem to be ageing rapidly and just had to do something to get fitter/healthier. If other people have tried macrobiotic diet, or vegetarian or vegan, pls write in and let me know how you are going, I wanted to be vegetarian for spiritual, ethical reasons ie sattvic diet, and like some of the macrobiotic philosophy too, but I never felt well, fatigue and lost a lot of weight (muscle and fat), premature menopause, not coping with stress, poor sleep, inflammatory problems, poor digestion/weakness in colon. I am still not sure why I did so badly, despite trying many different supplements, and herbs; I am Blood type O, 'Hunter' genotype (www.genotypediet.com), Peter D'adamo's work; so am supposed to be eating red meat, fish, duck, etc........My ancestry is a mixture of Aboriginal and European on my biological mother's side and Greek on my bio father's side. Mother died age 37 from colon cancer. I know many people do well on vegan/veg diets, plus raw food diets, I just did not do well at all - although I still eat one or two salads every day. This is partly why I now want to research this other way of eating/living. My weight is now 48.8kg (sorry, not sure what this is in pounds; maybe about 120lbs). My height about 5 feet 7. I've put on 2kg over the last 4 months, have been eating avocados and olives and cut down on cakes/cookies/sugar (I loved to bake). I am open to your comments and support. Regards, Amanda (N.S.W., Australia)

Meatgrrrl is offline Senior Member
    Hi Amanda... just saying welcome and good luck. Am here in NSW too...

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aussielady954 View Post
    Hello to everyone - I am 50 years old, and am looking into changes to improve my health and feeling stronger and more confident, I seem to be ageing rapidly and just had to do something to get fitter/healthier. If other people have tried macrobiotic diet, or vegetarian or vegan, pls write in and let me know how you are going, I wanted to be vegetarian for spiritual, ethical reasons ie sattvic diet, and like some of the macrobiotic philosophy too, but I never felt well, fatigue and lost a lot of weight (muscle and fat), premature menopause, not coping with stress, poor sleep, inflammatory problems, poor digestion/weakness in colon. I am still not sure why I did so badly, despite trying many different supplements, and herbs; I am Blood type O, 'Hunter' genotype (www.genotypediet.com), Peter D'adamo's work; so am supposed to be eating red meat, fish, duck, etc........My ancestry is a mixture of Aboriginal and European on my biological mother's side and Greek on my bio father's side. Mother died age 37 from colon cancer. I know many people do well on vegan/veg diets, plus raw food diets, I just did not do well at all - although I still eat one or two salads every day. This is partly why I now want to research this other way of eating/living. My weight is now 48.8kg (sorry, not sure what this is in pounds; maybe about 120lbs). My height about 5 feet 7. I've put on 2kg over the last 4 months, have been eating avocados and olives and cut down on cakes/cookies/sugar (I loved to bake). I am open to your comments and support. Regards, Amanda (N.S.W., Australia)
    Hi Amanda, welcome. I think that 48.8 kg equates to about 107.5 pounds. That is very light for your height, so I think putting on a wee bit of weight is a good thing. I have shrunk to about 5"7, and if I get to 60kg, 132 pounds, I will be thrilled, and will look very slim indeed.
    Good luck with your journey. You are certainly on the right forum to get lots of support
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Amanda, welcome from another person Down Under. I am sorry you have been so unwell, and am glad that you have found us. We here find that this way of eating is excellent for maximum nutrition and good for restoring the body from all sorts of problems. I have been following this way of eating for four months, symptoms of menopause have disappeared, in fact symptoms of fertility have returned, which is good for staying young (if not exactly helpful at 48).

Wishing you well, by all means keep up the salads and the extra avocados and olives, while adding meat into your diet as well. Eggs are great nutrition too, I usually start the day with them. Butter and cream are excellent for boosting the food value of veges and fruit.

thankyou for your support from Amanda in Australia - recoving from CFS, etc

Hello Annieh and other people who replied - I appreciate you taking the time to reply, I feel I am at beginning of a long journey, after spending years in doctors offices, tests, etc and getting more and more unhealthy over the years; not being able to work full time either. I am hopeful things will slowly improve, and although I've always found it hard to eat much red meat, I am making an effort now, made soups this week and will buy lamb chops today, plus fish/seafood. Pls advise which fish is good, I've read cod, salmon good for blood type O people, I just worry about the corn/soy fed to farmed fish. I like some sardines; do you all eat the bones from sardines? just wondering. my cat does!! which sweeteners do you use; I used to have lots of rice syrup and agave, but maybe now honey and maple syrup..... will think abou it. I hope to keep in touch with you all.
    Amanda (N.S.W., Australia)

ps I like to make my own ghee!

Hi Amanda, welcome from another person Down Under. I am sorry you have been so unwell, and am glad that you have found us. We here find that this way of eating is excellent for maximum nutrition and good for restoring the body from all sorts of problems. I have been following this way of eating for four months, symptoms of menopause have disappeared, in fact symptoms of fertility have returned, which is good for staying young (if not exactly helpful at 48).

Wishing you well, by all means keep up the salads and the extra avocados and olives, while adding meat into your diet as well. Eggs are great nutrition too, I usually start the day with them. Butter and cream are excellent for boosting the food value of veges and fruit.[/QUOTE]

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Howdy and welcome from a Sydney lad
    Dan

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aussielady954 View Post
    Hello Annieh and other people who replied - I appreciate you taking the time to reply, I feel I am at beginning of a long journey, after spending years in doctors offices, tests, etc and getting more and more unhealthy over the years; not being able to work full time either. I am hopeful things will slowly improve, and although I've always found it hard to eat much red meat, I am making an effort now, made soups this week and will buy lamb chops today, plus fish/seafood. Pls advise which fish is good, I've read cod, salmon good for blood type O people, I just worry about the corn/soy fed to farmed fish. I like some sardines; do you all eat the bones from sardines? just wondering. my cat does!! which sweeteners do you use; I used to have lots of rice syrup and agave, but maybe now honey and maple syrup..... will think abou it. I hope to keep in touch with you all.
    Amanda (N.S.W., Australia)

ps I like to make my own ghee!
    [/QUOTE]

MMmm, I hope you enjoy your lamb chops, they are some of my favourites. The bones make a great broth for soup too. I just put them in the slowcooker (this if after eating the chops), cover with water and leave overnight. Then strain and cool, it gels really well.

I hope someone else has advice on fish/seafood, it's an area I haven't explored properly yet, I am not keen on fish really and the family definitely not, so I haven't been very motivated even though I know I "should".

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Hi Amanda,

I think modern Australians would do well to take a look at what the Aboriginal people of Australia ate.

Did they check their blood-type? No.

Did they labour under the illusion that eating plants was more "spiritual". No. That's an urban misconception.

They mainatained superb health over millenia. Modern Australians get sick because they don't know what to eat.

Two threads here:

The Cave

The one called "These Aborigines were not hunter-gatherers" and the one called "Aboriginal eel farming"

The signs are there to be read.

Thankyou to Dan, Annieh and Lewis

PrimalCon New York
    Hello to you all and all readers around the world - Annieh, I will try using the bones from lamb chops one day for soup stock; thanks for the idea, appreciate it! I had some New Zealand cod yesterday, was good, firm consistency. I may have to look into buying a slow cooker one day, someone on the Blood Type Diet forms said he cooks ox tail in a slow cooker and meat 'falls off bone'.
    thankyou Lewis for your comments on Aboriginals. I agree, they were healthy, until white man (Europeans) came here and introduced unhealthy habits and agriculture. It is a bit confusing for me as I was adopted at birth by a Polish dad and my mum(mom) from the UK who migrated to Australia. My biological mother was mixed Aboriginal / European and my bio father was Greek! My bio mother died aged 37 from colon cancer. I have tried to be vegetarian, and vegan and on macrobiotic diet too, but did poorly and could not maintain my muscle or endorcine/hormonal function. My favourite foods are vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, spices, herbs, fish. When I was vegetarian, I missed eating fish and duck. I have no interest in chicken, don't know why. And I prefer lamb over beef, but once I am more experienced at cooking beef, this may change. I only used to buy beef mince. I have a sweet tooth too. I havent' had much of a chance yet to read up about grains; is anyone eating any rice? or rice cakes? even a little?? Must go now. Take care. Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Hi Amanda,

I think modern Australians would do well to take a look at what the Aboriginal people of Australia ate.

Did they check their blood-type? No.

Did they labour under the illusion that eating plants was more "spiritual". No. That's an urban misconception.

They mainatained superb health over millenia. Modern Australians get sick because they don't know what to eat.

Two threads here:

The Cave

The one called "These Aborigines were not hunter-gatherers" and the one called "Aboriginal eel farming"

The signs are there to be read.