Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Eat Your Vegetables page 4

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    It's actually fine for you raw, as long as you get it clean and chew it thouroughly. Cruciferous veg (broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, kale...) are all healthy raw and some nutrients are more accessible raw, provided your stomach acid is strong enough. Of course, other nutrients are more accessible cooked, so it's worth eating sometimes raw, sometimes cooked.

I've eaten raw cauliflower and cabbage for a while, but wanted to try broccoli. Didn't mind the crown or leaves, but the stalk was vile. Then I realised: I usually eat cabbage or cauliflower stalk COATED in some form of home-made dressing. Tried that, it worked.
    Anna was probably referring to the whole "cook crucifers to death to remove goitrogens" scare some people get on a high horse over.

Seriously though, unless you have thyroid issues already, this isn't even going to matter one way or the other.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Raw broccoli is a great dip delivery device.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yep! And celery too.

Those are the two veggie winners in the dip wars.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    just served Pate' yesterday at a little gathering with celery as the vessel of choice!

tomi is offline Senior Member
    baby carrots win the dip war for me. yummy!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Here's an easy trick. When I'm noticing that I'm getting lax on eating greens, I start tossing them into anything I make that has tomato sauce (curries also are strong enough to mask them). I use frozen greens and will put in about 3 weighed oz per portion. Spinach and collards seem to be mild enough as to pretty much disappear (tastewise) in the sauce.

Also in "patties." Fish (flaked) + mashed potato + egg + greens = patty. Chill so they don't melt in the pan. "Fry" in healthy fat or oil.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Anna was probably referring to the whole "cook crucifers to death to remove goitrogens" scare some people get on a high horse over.

Seriously though, unless you have thyroid issues already, this isn't even going to matter one way or the other.
    I wouldn't get rid of my raw cabbage for ANYTHING. Coleslaw ftw. Paleo mayo, add some walnuts, shredded carrot... Mmm!
    But, seriously, healthy thyroid, healthy everything.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Indeed! I like the florets on their own, but stalk NEEDS a dip/sauce of sorts. Fussy that way.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    And even if you don't like them, there's all kinds of ways to make them palatable. My favorite is to chop up all kinds of things, fry some bacon, onion, garlic and tomato and then pitch all the veggies in. Cover it to keep in the steam, add spices and herbs and voila! Delicious veggies.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Here's an easy trick. When I'm noticing that I'm getting lax on eating greens, I start tossing them into anything I make that has tomato sauce (curries also are strong enough to mask them). I use frozen greens and will put in about 3 weighed oz per portion. Spinach and collards seem to be mild enough as to pretty much disappear (tastewise) in the sauce.

Also in "patties." Fish (flaked) + mashed potato + egg + greens = patty. Chill so they don't melt in the pan. "Fry" in healthy fat or oil.
    +1

I throw greens into all sorts of dishes. Curries, chili, tomato sauces, primal "lasagna" (using zucchini instead of noodles)...so many opportunities.

Vegetable chips are tasty too. I make them out of all kinds of root veggies.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast