Thread: Example meal plan? page

shelbyeagle143 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Example meal plan?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does anyone have any examples of a daily meal plan that is "primal". I am new to this website and Im still confused on what primal means.

Neely is offline Member
    It's going to vary from person to person to quite a large degree (minus grains) depending on individual tastes and goals. As long as you are sticking to the basics of meat/fish, veg, fruit, nuts you will flourish. Diary is a grey area it seems.

Here's a few example ideas of some of my favourite typical meals if that helps:

Breakfast
    3 boiled eggs and some carrot pieces

Breakfast
    Scrambled egg and bacon

Breakfast
    Banana, boiled eggs, nuts

Breakfast
    Left over cold meats, carrots

Dinner
    Some combination of: chicken/pork/eggs and veg, some fruit/nuts

Lunch/tea
    Some combination of meat/fish, veg and fruit different from dinner. So if I had chicken for dinner I might have fish or steak/pork/turkey/ham - usually with different veg if I can. So last night I had - 2 potions of pollock fish with stir-fried veg - garlic, onions, chilis, leek, ginger, carrots, spinach and a little liver.

Snacks
    Snacks I might have only if I feel a little peckish, not for the sake of it include - fruit, nuts, carrots, bits of cold meat or an egg.

Drinks
    Water should make up the largest part of what you drink. Other drinks could include fruit smoothies, protein shakes maybe? Tea/coffee in smaller amounts. Alcohol should be in moderation but again this will be up to you and will vary from person to person.

I think one of the best pieces of advice I have read is to try to tune into your own body and to listen to it - to remember that people will each have and individual take on primal/paleo and that is fine as long as meat/fish, veg, fruit and nuts are the core of what you eat. Hope that helps.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    What I ate today:

Breakfast - frittata made of leftover veges fried in butter, pour over two eggs beaten with salt, pepper and some milk, top with grated cheese.

Lunch - large bowl of salad made with lettuce leaves, cucumber, avocado, olives, grapes, cheese, sprinkled with nuts, mixed seeds and seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

Dinner - baked chicken drumsticks with coriander, steamed carrots with butter, another salad (but could have been a green vege such as broccoli or silverbeet)

Supper snack - 4 scorched almonds.

PandaRose is offline Member
    what i ate yesterday:
    breakfast: eggs, banana, spoonful of almond butter, nitrate free sausage links
    lunch: chicken breast, green peppers, onions, guacamole
    dinner: green salad with sardines, cheese, and assorted veggies
    snacks: apple and almonds

shelbyeagle143 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you! I can tell a lot of the main focus is on eggs and meat

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    B: 3 eggs over sautéed greens, fruit
    L: beef stew ( sometimes with starchy veggies, sometimes not)
    S: full-fat yogurt (yes, I include some dairy) w/ almonds and coconut flakes
    D: protein and a veg.

*i am not concerned with weight-loss right now. If I was, I would cut down on carbs and nuts

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbyeagle143 View Post
    Thank you! I can tell a lot of the main focus is on eggs and meat
    Sure is!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I eat later in the day, and eat one large meal and one small meal in about a six hour window. That's not necessarily Primal, it's a me thing.

I plan my protein. If it's lean (I eat a lot of lean grass fed ground beef and bison, and pork loin), I add an egg or other fat (butter, cheese, avocado, avocado oil, etc.) more for flavor than for adherance to fat ratios. Then I pick my veggie. I'm boring and my major veggies are cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and various squashes. I also use spinach and collard greens. I might add a fruit - tomato, or if I'm making a curry, a berry of some type. This grokette loves her berries.

My small meal might be something like a 5.3 ounce beef patty with an egg on top. Or with spinach and tomato paste. Or scrambled eggs with some veggies. It's about 300 calories.

I also have frequent cheese days. I might skip meat that day or not. I also occasionally have days that would be considered vegetarian. But always primal with no grains or bad oils.

I allow myself a (big ass) potato once a week. But I'm minimally active, so if I would get off my lazy ass more often, I'd allow myself more. I allow myself white rice once or twice a month (instead of the potato) - usually with salmon because it's just such a good combination. I don't eat nuts on a regular basis, nor do I eat chocolate. I do, however drink more clear spirits than a lot of folks.

Disclaimer: I am old. While I probably exercise more than most people my age, I don't exercise as much as I should. You can probably eat a whole lot more food than I can and maintain health.

KimNKY is offline Member
    Yesterday
    Breakfast: 4 oz Pork carnitas, 1/3 cup baked squash, some flaxseed meal, piled together with a fried egg on top. A chocolate date ball for "dessert"
    Lunch: skipped it, wasn't hungry
    Snack: 2 oz grilled chicken breast and a few baby carrots
    Dinner: 6 oz roasted chicken breast with skin, shredded up in some bone broth with kale and celery

Today
    Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with homemade sausage, kale, broccoli, cheese, onion, and chia seeds, all cooked in bacon fat. Coffee with heavy cream. (I do better when I front-load my work day with fat/calories)
    Lunch: 4 oz roasted chicken breast, 1/2 cup bone broth, 1/2 cup of peas (not technically primal), 1/4 cup squash, a ton of tea
    Snack: a few almonds and baby carrots, more tea
    Dinner: 6 oz salmon cooked in coconut oil, broccoli and carrots steamed and tossed in olive oil
    Last edited by KimNKY; 10-29-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbyeagle143 View Post
    Does anyone have any examples of a daily meal plan that is "primal". I am new to this website and Im still confused on what primal means.

First meal - some kind of meat and veggie with ample fat. Or leftovers from the night before. Today was a burger patty with diced avocado and tomato with balsamic & olive oil.

Second meal - full fat plain yogurt & frozen blueberries with local honey. Maybe a handful of nuts or a hard boiled egg. Cup of bone broth.

Third meal - meat, veg, salad, fat.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes