Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maltodextrin page

MvEssen is offline Senior Member

Maltodextrin

Primal Fuel
    Untill not to long ago stevia was banned in the Netherlands. After a few stevia based products Ive found the first stevia based sweeteners in the supermarket (might have been there for a while already, I was never really searching).

They are however all bulked up with maltodextrin. Apart from it being carbs (I don't really care, if I'd go trough a whole jar a month which I never will it would give me 38g of carbs a month) is there anything bad about maltodextrin?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    not really. it's made from corn which will trip some people out, but i wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    If you must use a powder, see if you can find the Stevia Spoonable made from this brand.

Stevita Stevia Enjoy These Delicious Stevita Products

That's what I have. It's packed in erythritol, which is a 0 carb, 0 GI, 0 calorie sugar alcohol (at least in the miniscule quantities here). If you're going to pack it in something, erythritol is best.

Liquid stevia extracts are generally superior. Of course, the best thing to do is make your own stevia. Get yourself a stevia plant (or seeds and grow a plant), soak the leaves in vodka for several days/weeks to extract the sweetness, then slowly and gently boil the alcohol off so you're left with insanely sweet extract to be used at your discretion.

And to answer your original question, stevia packed in maltodextrin is going to be superior to any artificial sweetener or highly refined sugar. Personally, I'd rather use raw honey/maple syrup/palm sugar myself because I do not believe any true, natural sugar is harmful or unhealthy (considering there are more lean, healthy traditional societies free of modern disease eating diets high in natural sugar than diets high in fat). Draw your own conclusions I say.

Whole Health Source: Sugar Intake and Body Fatness in Non-industrial Cultures
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-28-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I agree with Taco...sort of. I don't bother with any fake sugars or supplements....even stevia (mainly cause it tastes like ass). Basically within the context of the Primal Blueprint (150g or less of carbs a day) , primal carbs and even natural sugars are just fine. Of course the higher you get on that spectrum with the more simple sugars (honey and maple syrup) the more you could be opening yourself to issues in regard to nutrient displacement or insulin and glucose spikes. I'd say the less the better, but no need to replace "some" natural sugar with crap synthetic variants.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    There is a brand of stevia that is bulked up with inulin fiber called "SweetLeaf" here in the states. The advantage to inulin fib err is that it is a prebiotic meaning that your gut flora will partially digest the inulin and use it as energy to sustain itself which helps maintain a healthy and vibrant set of bacterial in your gut. So it may have a slight advantage over maltodextrin if you can get access to the product.

Or, you could go straight for the liquid extract.

I wouldn't think the maltodextrin is going to cause much harm, so I wouldn't worry too much, but there ARE better options out there.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    If you must use a powder, see if you can find the Stevia Spoonable made from this brand.

Stevita Stevia Enjoy These Delicious Stevita Products

That's what I have. It's packed in erythritol, which is a 0 carb, 0 GI, 0 calorie sugar alcohol (at least in the miniscule quantities here). If you're going to pack it in something, erythritol is best.

Liquid stevia extracts are generally superior. Of course, the best thing to do is make your own stevia. Get yourself a stevia plant (or seeds and grow a plant), soak the leaves in vodka for several days/weeks to extract the sweetness, then slowly and gently boil the alcohol off so you're left with insanely sweet extract to be used at your discretion.

And to answer your original question, stevia packed in maltodextrin is going to be superior to any artificial sweetener or highly refined sugar. Personally, I'd rather use raw honey/maple syrup/palm sugar myself because I do not believe any true, natural sugar is harmful or unhealthy (considering there are more lean, healthy traditional societies free of modern disease eating diets high in natural sugar than diets high in fat). Draw your own conclusions I say.

Whole Health Source: Sugar Intake and Body Fatness in Non-industrial Cultures
    Whats the difference between stevita brand stevia cut with erythritol and truvia that is also just stevia and erythritol? and Ive seen a brand of stevia powder with maltodextrin extracted from cassava would that be a better option than a brand with maltodextrin derived from corn?

joshugrady is offline Junior Member
    I don't bother with any fake sugars or supplements

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    At the moment IF I want to sweeten things (this is mainly just a small teaspoon or so in a dinner) I use honey or raw cane sugar. I'm not afraid of using those in small amounts. But with so many things being said about stevia on these forums I was wondering if it would be a good option now that it's available to me.

Isn't stevia 'all natural' as well, though? How is it a fake sugar or supplement? (leaving the maltodextrin out of this)

From things I've read I can't really be sure that the honey I buy in the supermarket is completely up to standards with honey as found in nature. I could go on a one hour trip to buy some overpriced shit to be 100% sure it is. But thats not worth it for me, especially the money. With that said, I was thinking maybe this stevia was a safer bet.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    Whats the difference between stevita brand stevia cut with erythritol and truvia that is also just stevia and erythritol? and Ive seen a brand of stevia powder with maltodextrin extracted from cassava would that be a better option than a brand with maltodextrin derived from corn?
    Stevita uses erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol with no blood sugar response and no net carbohydrate content. Truvia is packed in dextrose, which does elevate blood sugar and does have a carbohydrate content. I wouldn't count Stevita brand as calorically significant. With Truvia, you may as well just use sugar because it's backed in sugar. It's junk IMO.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Stevita uses erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol with no blood sugar response and no net carbohydrate content. Truvia is packed in dextrose, which does elevate blood sugar and does have a carbohydrate content. I wouldn't count Stevita brand as calorically significant. With Truvia, you may as well just use sugar because it's backed in sugar. It's junk IMO.
    all the truvia packs ive ever seen are packed with erythritol. none have ever said dextrose. And i've just seen the erythritol can be extracted from wheat and other grains. wouldn't this be something we should not be consuming?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast