Thread: Shopping List help page

TheTeddy is offline Member

Shopping List help

Shop Now
    Here's the situation: My grandmother and I live together. She gets social security, and I was just hired on Sams Club, so I haven't been paid yet. After bills and other fees, we have around $250 for the month to spend on food. We shop at Sam's Club, Winco, Walmart, and the .99 cent store. We like to buy all our meat for the month at once, then buy veggies by the week. Well anyway, we've sort of stagnated. I don't mind having a small selection of core meals, or the same thing day after day for lunch/dinner, but she does. So what I'd like is your help with making a new, better, improved shopping list.

Here's our typical one:

Meat/eggs:
    Sirloin patties package-1/3lb, 18ct
    Pork chops/loins-7lbs or so
    Tilapia- 20-25 fillet package
    Shrimp-12oz bag
    Chicken- 6lbs approx, usually thighs
    Beef roast- 4-5lbs
    Tuna- 30 cans(!)
    Eggs- 4 18ct cartons

Veggies/fruit:
    Celery
    Green onions
    Tomatoes
    Lettuce mixes
    Cucumbers
    Bell peppers(on occasion)
    Canned pineapple(no syrup)
    Bananas
    Pickles

Dairy:
    Cottage cheese(4% milkfat)
    Milk(rarely)
    Extra sharp cheddar- 2lb brick
    Sweet cream butter- 2 boxes

We can't afford organic/grassfed/pasteurized yet, so any advice on cleaning up and expanding would be much appreciated. The more variety the better. Also, if possible, allow for breakfast/lunch/dinner every day. Right now we only eat breakfast a few days a week, and a salad every day for lunch. We'd like to change that.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    So what's your #1 concern, is it the need for more variety or is it having a limited budget? If it's the latter, may I suggest dumpster-diving (serious). Gotta love hunting-gathering! I got some parsnips, carrots, bok choy, celery, and a ton of fancy herbs (all organic) just last night. All you need is a flashlight, a stick, and 0 self-consciousness.
    Also, another cheap option, especially this time of year, would be all sorts of squash/pumpkin and root vegetables (parsnips, beets, rutabagas).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    So what's your #1 concern, is it the need for more variety or is it having a limited budget? If it's the latter, may I suggest dumpster-diving (serious). Gotta love hunting-gathering!
    Wow, that takes some balls...(or not by the pic ) anyhow. My advice is to get 60lbs of meat (whatever variety you can) for the two of you. Get the obligatory fats (EVOO, butter, and coconut) and fill the rest in with what you can afford/what is available in terms of tubers and vegetables. Thats about it. I cant give specifics as to your list cause if your on a budget and have a freezer USE YOUR HEAD....by the sales in bulk and freeze. Good luck.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Change what spices and styles you are cooking with.

There is so much difference between mince cooked in a satay, vs a korma, vs a basic stir fry, vs in meatballs etc etc.

Chicken: stir fry vs honey soy vs roasted vs butter chicken vs tikka masala.....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking,...are you looking for variety or better choices?

For both variety and better options:
    Chicken liver instead of thighs
    Salmon instead of tilapia
    Sardines instead of tuna
    Switch up the veggies and fruits occasionally...berries, plantains, avocado, sweet potatos
    Same with dairy...get some greek yogurt, ghee, different varieties of cheese

It's pretty easy to make the same foods seem much different simply by the way you cook them and using different combinations and different spices.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

LaxCoach is offline Junior Member
    Be creative, look for recipes online - there are a million paleo websites out there, make a use of them. They don't cost you a dime - that's one of the things I love best about this community, everyone is so willing to share.

Here's some ways to be creative, instead of hamburger and vegetables... take those bell peppers and make stuffed peppers, use your tomatoes and get some spices (grow your own - it's cheap and easy) and make sauce and make your stuffed peppers italian or use different spices and chilis (I'd imagine you can grow peppers in California) and make them mexican flavored. If you don't have a place to grow your food, you can still grow a lot of different herbs and spices in a windowsill in a planter.

Mix some chilis in with your eggs for some kick...

Make use of the internet - it's a great resource - browse the recipe section of this forum. A lot of good stuff out there.

Also, a lot of stuff grows in California - take advantage of what you can grow on your own, that'll save you money that you can spend on other things - and you'll be able to enjoy more organic foods that way since you're the farmer.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Actually, what you have to spend on food is less than the govt gives to two people, so if your paycheck is a long way off, I'd consider applying for foodstamps. There are also other benefits to getting foodstamps in that you can get a discount on one phone bill every month and qualify for energy assistance programs. Don't let pride stand in the way of that - when you work, you pay taxes; if occasionally you need some of that back, it's your due.

There are also organizations that give out free monthly food boxes. While a lot of it is non-primal, in CA, I'm guessing you'd see lots of fruits and veggies.

I love the dumpster diving idea and though I've never done it for food, I sure did it when I lived in a state that had deposits on cans and bottles.

joshugrady is offline Junior Member
    I love best about this community

Neely is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Throw more herbs and spices in the mix and vary your cooking style.