Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Desperate here... page

Comma is offline Senior Member

Desperate here...

Primal Fuel
    ...coffee gives me an allergic reaction and tea gives me heartburn- I'd have chocolate milk in the am, but can't stomach that much dairy in a go. WHAT CAN I DRINK? I need something warm and preferably caffeinated in my cuppa to hold on to. Water and the usual herbal teas don't cut it, I've been trying. Help me!!

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Some people here like Crio Bru (cocoa beans ground like coffee). It's expensive, though.

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    You can make chocolate with water in stead of milk,

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you can't tolerate black tea, try green tea powder (matcha)? Matcha contains a pretty significant amount of caffeine. Also, Yerba Mate might work.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I've heard that some people react poorly to chemicals that are used when processing tea and coffee. Maybe try a good organic loose leaf tea. I also second the Yerba Mate, you can get it roasted(coffee esq) or green, and it has more caffeine than coffee (I believe), also it is supposed to have a less of a caffeine crash. Good luck!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried a nifty little beverage called "yerba mate?" Just brew it in a dripncoffee machine, 1 tablespoon per cup of water. The South Americans drink a ton of it daily. In certain regions they can hardly be seen without a hot bombilla of mate or a chilled glass of iced mate even while walking down the street.

You might have some reactions to it, but you should give it a go before you decide that. And to address the cancer concerns people always bring up about mate:

1. The studies didn't account for high rates of smoking in South America.
    2. The studies were on smoked mate. You can buy air dried mate which is what I prefer anyway, since it has a smoother taste. Being air dried should eliminate the smoke compounds which were believed to have the negative effects.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 10-28-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Apparently Mate is also quite useful for weight loss as it is shown to help the fat burning instead of carbs burning.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Apparently Mate is also quite useful for weight loss as it is shown to help the fat burning instead of carbs burning.
    Caffeine in general will do that as it actually causes a small amount of fats to be released from stores into the blood stream, which the body will then use for energy.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Nope, Caffeine increases the overall metabolic rate (it also raises cortisol levels, which is clearly not a good thing on a regular basis). It's the reason people with thyroid and adrenal issues, or hormonal issues in general, have to avoid drinking coffee.

I have to search a bit but there's another component in Mate that makes it different from Caffeine in the fat loss domain.

EDIT : "One indicator that it is working to burn more fat is a drop in something called the respiratory quotient (RQ), which indicates a rise in the proportion of fat being oxidized or burned in the body."
    Just a little finding, which is not the case with coffee.
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 10-28-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    teas give me heartburn as well

welp, you can try goat's milk, coconut milk, warm flavored water (honey/lemon/?), if you have some leniency in your diet you can go the crystal light route

that's... really all i can think of right now
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast