Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Desperate here... page 3

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    WAT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Whatever. I'll live.

I wonder how many grams per cup? Coffee is said to have around 120, tea much less so, also dependent on steeping time.
    It is like tea. Much less and also dependent on steeping time and number of brews from each cup of leaves (you can rebrew mate leaves three or four times). It also depends on how and where the leaves are grown, what kind of environment they come from, ect. Growing conditions can effect caffeine content in the leaves. Same for tea.

I'm not debating the wonderful effects of mate which are far and away different than anything from coffee. Fewer jitters, less "adrenaline rush", more balanced... But it is not some magic substance that causes that. It's good ol' chemistry.

Lowcarb4me is offline Junior Member
    I'd like to suggest cold-brewed coffee, if you are really not wanting to give it up.
    You can google lots of methods. No particular special equipment needed, either.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Wow, thank you for all the suggestions! I'm not too fond of mate, but I'll give it another go I think. Also saw the Criu stuff somewhere- will try that too. And also the cocoa with coconutmilk. Excellent! Have useful list to work with, and if there's more, out with it!

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Make chocolate with coconut milk. Easy swap, and delicious!
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Bone broth.
    Got my vote!
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Don't know why, but I have a sudden strong aversion to bone broth...always end up dumping it, even though I used to like it.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Hot water with lemon.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

oxide is offline Senior Member
    You could try bulletproof hot cocoa -- hot cocoa made with melted butter instead of milk. If you use clarified butter or ghee, it's not really dairy because the clarifying takes out the milk solids.

1 tablespoon cocoa powder + 2 tablespoons butter + 1 teaspoon cocnut oil (optional) + stevia or honey.

Don't know if that's enough caffeine.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I use the ground cacao beans 1/2 and 1/2 with ground coffee. They are best in a french press. World Berries Cacao Brew for $23/pound. Ouch. But good. You can reuse the grounds for either another cup of cacao or in recipes.

What is your allergic reaction? Have you always had it?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

I'm in trouble. I don't much like the Crio Bru. I don't want bone broth. I don't like Mate. I can't have much dairy or much coconut milk. Black tea gives me GERD and I don't like green or white. Between Sandy and house guests and kids I have been so stressed I went back to coffee. My eyes are swollen and itchy and I have eczema and a rash on my chest and I just have to find something that works for me.

Anybody tried that war-time coffee substitute, erm, sounds something like chicoree or soemthing?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast