Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Desperate here... page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    EDIT : "One indicator that it is working to burn more fat is a drop in something called the respiratory quotient (RQ), which indicates a rise in the proportion of fat being oxidized or burned in the body."
    Just a little finding, which is not the case with coffee.
    I've read that tea (especially green and oolong teas) do something quite similar. I'd have to search to see if I can find it again...

Edit: Here's something that points to it.

http://www.jacn.org/content/26/4/389S.full

As it says, "respiratory quotient (RQ) values were significantly lower with EGCG compared to the placebo."
    Last edited by Drumroll; 10-28-2012 at 03:41 PM.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I second the Crio Bru recommendation. You could also warm some coconut milk and add unsweetened cocoa powder.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

patski is offline Senior Member
    Yerba mate does not have more caffeine than coffee. I cut out coffee years ago and mate became my replacement. It has a substance called mateine which is like caffeine...but isn't.

I've found I've actually gotten really used to mate and it doesn't wake me up as much anymore. Or maybe I'm sleeping better these days. It's possible. I'm working on supporting my adrenals.

I still do drink the occasional cup of coffee. But it has to be good quality, or else I don't feel that shit hot after.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Yerba mate does not have more caffeine than coffee. I cut out coffee years ago and mate became my replacement. It has a substance called mateine which is like caffeine...but isn't.
    It's caffeine. Don't kid yourself. Even noted producer of yerba mate, Guyaki, which has every reason to want people thinking there is no caffeine in yerba mate is on record as saying "recent scientific research suggests that the stimulant in yerba mate is caffeine."

See here: http://guayaki.com/faq.html

It is the proportion of caffeine to other substances that is unique to yerba mate that gives it its unique effects that many claim are much milder than coffee.

To quote Wikipedia: "Mate contains three xanthines: caffeine, theobromine and theophylline, the main one being caffeine. Caffeine content varies between 0.7% and 1.7% of dry weight[8]."

(emphasis is mine)
    Last edited by Drumroll; 10-28-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    This yerba mate -- is there a preferred brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Roary View Post
    This yerba mate -- is there a preferred brand?
    Just go to your local Whole Foods or health food store and go get some. I recommend sticking with air dried (might also be called unsmoked) stuff for the above reasons I stated in my first post. Once you know whether or not you tolerate it well (and like it to boot), you can invest more heavily.

I am a fan of the mate myself though, so I got some really high quality stuff from Earth Shift Products. Completely air dried and raw as well as certified organic.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! I'll ask for recommendations at the market. Always on the lookout for a new bev.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    It hasn't got caffeine - but when I want something hot (or if I've got a cold or flu) I make up a hot drink with a Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar and a teaspoon of honey, and fill the mug with hot water.

Adjust the concentrations to suit yourself - but I love it...

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    It's caffeine. Don't kid yourself. Even noted producer of yerba mate, Guyaki, which has every reason to want people thinking there is no caffeine in yerba mate is on record as saying "recent scientific research suggests that the stimulant in yerba mate is caffeine."

See here: Frequently Asked Questions about yerba mate

It is the proportion of caffeine to other substances that is unique to yerba mate that gives it its unique effects that many claim are much milder than coffee.

To quote Wikipedia: "Mate contains three xanthines: caffeine, theobromine and theophylline, the main one being caffeine. Caffeine content varies between 0.7% and 1.7% of dry weight[8]."

(emphasis is mine)
    WAT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Whatever. I'll live.

I wonder how many grams per cup? Coffee is said to have around 120, tea much less so, also dependent on steeping time.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast